Feedback on Mr. Bucket's Favorites

[name_f]My[/name_f] partner and I sat down for a good name talk this past week and I have some new insights as to which names from our longlist have risen to the top for him. I’d love to hear what you think (sibling names in usercard).

Ten [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m] or [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
Nine [name_u]Florian[/name_u]
Eight [name_m]Cornelius[/name_m]
Seven [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m]
Six [name_u]Oberon[/name_u]
Five [name_m]Scipio[/name_m]
Four [name_m]Thelonious[/name_m]
Three [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u]
Two [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m]
One [name_u]Constantine[/name_u]

I was particularly happily surprised as this represents a major [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] coming-up-from-behind-as-the-underdog situation. That is the only true honor name on this list ([name_m]Cornelius[/name_m] sort of has an honor to it… the others do not). I have never heard him talk so favorably about it as he did the other night.

He couldn’t decide between [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m] or [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] ([name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] used to be much higher up his list, but I think he has finally met some recently. He thinks [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m] and [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] have similar levels of popularity :man_shrugging:t2: so that sort of influenced his interpretation as he thought both were really common names…)

I had previously discounted [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] based on meaning. Yet, of the names on this list, he is easily my longest standing love. We just have such a hot-and-cold relationship, [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] and I do. :fire: :snowflake: But he just never leaves me alone. I hadn’t mentioned the name to DH recently, however. I was surprised to hear him say how he never really got over [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] when he last fell out of favor with me, either.

Anyways… thoughts? This list is glaringly missing 4 of my top first names and another 5 middles. But we are mostly on the same page.

2 Likes

I think every name on the list works with your sons’ names! I like [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_m]Cornelius[/name_m], [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m], [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m], or [name_u]Constantine[/name_u] best with them, personally.

You have a great list of strong, cool, uncommon-but-established names and I think you really can’t go wrong with any of them.

2 Likes

Sebastian and [name_m]Scipio[/name_m] are definitely my favourites here. Out of curiosity, do you use the “sip” or “skip” pronunciation for [name_m]Scipio[/name_m]?

I think they all work with your sons’ names, but particularly: [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_m]Scipio[/name_m], [name_m]Cornelius[/name_m], and [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m]

Great list!

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u] them all! I also have a “hot-and-cold” relationship with [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] - don’t love the president but it feels like a more accessible version of [name_m]Odysseus[/name_m]. I have a similar feeling with [name_u]Constantine[/name_u].
[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m], [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m], [name_m]Cornelius[/name_m], [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m], [name_u]Oberon[/name_u], and [name_u]Florian[/name_u]. If [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] has meaning to you that definitely bumps it up. I think [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] works well with your sons’ names in sound… but, as you know, it’s very popular.

1 Like

I used to be squarely in “sip,” my partner has always been “skip” and now that it is a first name for consideration, it would definitely be “skip” to highlight/compliment our K surname.

1 Like

Oh I DO love the president. I think he is underrated… easily the most underrated of those on the money (and wtf [name_u]Jackson[/name_u]… why are you still on our money???). The stereotypes don’t come close to capturing him and I think his administration did more to equalize rights for [name_m]Black[/name_m] Americans to attempt to actually even the playing field than any other president of the 1800s…

I also love [name_m]Odysseus[/name_m] but my partner pronounces the double ss with a sh sound, which just doesn’t fly for me.

2 Likes

Definitely, his protections of [name_m]Black[/name_m] and Native Americans was very progressive. I think I meant more the idea of naming after a president? I like the idea of instilling his tenacity as a general, but don’t want to talk about the policy or administration at every introduction;)

1 Like

I love [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m], [name_u]Constantine[/name_u], [name_m]Cornelius[/name_m] and [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u]

1 Like

I love these!
Some of them like [name_u]Constantine[/name_u], [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m], and [name_u]Florian[/name_u] are on our list too. :blush:
I love [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] but it’s number 5 in our state.

1 Like

Taliesin :yellow_heart:

1 Like

These all seem very fitting! I love [name_u]Florian[/name_u] and [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m] especially.

1 Like

I absolutely love [name_u]Constantine[/name_u] with your boy’s names! [name_f]My[/name_f] second choice would be [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m] :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

a beautiful list (I would expect nothing less)!
[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m], [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u], [name_u]Florian[/name_u], and [name_u]Oberon[/name_u]! the whole list is wonderful though, and all of the names go well with H & A!

1 Like

Constantine and [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] stand out to me the most and I think they would be amazing next to H & A :heart_eyes: I love the “storybook” sound of [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m], but I don’t know if I’d use it.

1 Like

What a lovely list! I think my favorites are [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m], [name_u]Constantine[/name_u], and [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m]. I actually think “[name_m]Grant[/name_m]” is more presidential, since most are known by their surnames. I think of [name_m]Ronald[/name_m] [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] Swanson from [name_m]Parks[/name_m] and Recreation, the best character on the best television show ever.

2 Likes

I really like [name_u]Florian[/name_u], I’ve never thought about it properly before, but it comes off as noble and dashing to me! Unusual but still feels familiar because of [name_f]Florence[/name_f]/Flora popularity.

Sebastian is nice, but it seems very stylistically different to your other options - much more common.

Taliesin could definitely work! It reminds me of the more feminine [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f]/Talen (I’ve only met girls with those names, but I think they’re unisex?), but I think [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] is cool for a boy.

Not a fan of [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m], [name_m]Thelonious[/name_m] or [name_m]Cornelius[/name_m]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] associate them with being pretentious I think, I don’t know why! I’m sorry!! :slight_smile:

Ignatius and [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] are both great! [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] and [name_u]Constantine[/name_u] both seem like fantastic options for you, even if they aren’t my personal style ([name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] is a bit too unique for me, and [name_u]Constantine[/name_u] a bit too preppy).

That leaves [name_m]Scipio[/name_m], which I don’t like, I’m sorry! It originally looked like [name_m]Scorpio[/name_m] misspelled to me, and then I was trying to figure out why it reminded me of a pegasus (there was pegasus in the Heroes of [name_m]Olympus[/name_m] books named [name_m]Scipio[/name_m]).

So, ranked imo:

1. Florian
  2. Taliesin
  3. Oberon
  4. Ignatius
  5. Ulysses
  6. Constantine
  7. Sebastian
  8. Cornelius/Ferdinand
  9. Thelonious
  10. Scipio
1 Like