Feedback On Our Top Ten

See the results of this poll: Best Name?

Respondents: 39 (This poll is closed)

• Olive: 2 (5%)
  • Thea: 2 (5%)
  • Helena: 13 (33%)
  • Claire: 7 (18%)
  • Pearl: 2 (5%)
  • Eliza: 8 (21%)
  • Jane: 3 (8%)
  • Jules: 0 (0%)
  • Flossie: 0 (0%)
  • Colette: 2 (5%)

[name]Olive[/name] - Like as a middle name. ()
[name]Thea[/name] - Short for [name]Dorothea[/name]? ()
[name]Helena[/name] - [name]Love[/name]! Pronounce as [name]Helen[/name]-uh, though. (
)
[name]Claire[/name] - [name]Love[/name], and don’t think it is too popular. (
)
[name]Pearl[/name] - Nickname for [name]Margaret[/name]? (
)
[name]Eliza[/name] - [name]Adore[/name] this! (
)
[name]Jane[/name] - Middle name. I don’t love the sound. (
)
[name]Jules[/name] - Nickname for [name]Julia[/name], which I love. Alone, though… (*)
[name]Flossie[/name] - Sorry, not my thing! (-)
[name]Colette[/name] - Seems dated for some reason. MN? (**)

[name]Helena[/name] [name]Claire[/name] would be beautiful, with the nickname [name]Lena[/name] or [name]Leni[/name]. Or [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is gorgeous! [name]Julia[/name] [name]Pearl[/name], with the nickname [name]Jules[/name], is also very sweet.

[name]Olive[/name]: I think it’s spunky, and I love its vintage feel. I’ll give it a 3, only because I like some of your other names better with your last name.

[name]Thea[/name]: I think it’s very pretty, but because pronunciation issues may arise (thee-a, thay-a, tay-a), I’ll give it a 3. I really like it as a nickname for [name]Dorothea[/name] and even [name]Theodora[/name].

[name]Helena[/name]: I love this name so much, but like [name]Thea[/name], it’s pronounced three ways: helen-a, heh-[name]LEE[/name]-na, and heh-[name]LAY[/name]-na, which may or may not be an issue for you. I think it’s flow is fantastic with your last name! Despite the pronunciation issues, I have to give [name]Helena[/name] five stars. :slight_smile:

I love [name]Helena[/name] [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Helena[/name] [name]Pearl[/name].

[name]Claire[/name]: Like you said, it’s pretty popular (#62), so I can understand your concerns. In all honesty, I’m not a fan of they way [name]Claire[/name] rhymes with your last name. I’ll give [name]Claire[/name] one star, not so much because of its popularity, but because of the rhyming issue. (I do think it’s a beautiful name, though.)

[name]Pearl[/name]: I love the name [name]Pearl[/name], but I think I prefer a longer first name with your last name. I really love the combo of [name]Helena[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]. As a first name, I’ll give [name]Pearl[/name] three stars (I love a longer first name with Daguerre), but I’ll give it five stars as a middle. :slight_smile:

[name]Eliza[/name]: One of my all-time favorite names, and I love how it sounds with your last name! Five stars!

[name]Jane[/name]: I love [name]Jane[/name], but as a middle with Deguerre. (I think that [name]Jane[/name] as a first name sounds a bit blunt with your last name, but I give it five stars as a middle.)

[name]Jules[/name]: I think of [name]Jules[/name] as a nickname, but I love [name]Juliet[/name] and [name]Julia[/name], both of which I love with your last name. Julies on its own gets one star, but I give [name]Juliet[/name] five stars and [name]Julia[/name], four.

[name]Flossie[/name]: I absolutely love [name]Flossie[/name] as a nickname for [name]Felicity[/name] (it reminds me of the Fliss and Flissy nicknames) or [name]Florence[/name], but not on its own. As a name on its own, I’ll give it a one or a two, but as a nickname, I give it a five. I think it’s darling!

[name]Colette[/name]: I think this is very elegant! I’ll give it five stars.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

all are very nice except flossie. i dont understand [name]Flossie[/name] at all.

[name]Olive[/name] - I know it seems to be the go-to substitute for [name]Olivia[/name], but I don’t find it as attractive. I might be biased because I don’t like the taste of olives :slight_smile: **

[name]Thea[/name] - Pretty and underused. ****

[name]Helena[/name] - Really beautiful, one of my favorites *****

[name]Claire[/name] - Simple, pretty, effective. I’m not crazy about the rhyming issue, but if you’re OK with it going in, then who am I to judge? ****

[name]Pearl[/name] - Pretty, but the gem names seem to get dated awfully fast. ***

[name]Eliza[/name] - a nice classic ****

[name]Jane[/name] - one of my favorite names of all time! *****

[name]Jules[/name] - not crazy about it for a girl *

[name]Flossie[/name] - cute as a nickname, a little bit too out there as a first name. Use as a nickname for [name]Flora[/name]? **

[name]Colette[/name] - the literary reference is nice, but names with an -ette ending always feel vaguely demeaning to me. **

I voted for [name]Claire[/name], but when I read your last name, I changed my mind. I know you said you like that it rhymes, but to be honest (and since you said you’re not offendable) I think [name]Claire[/name] Dah-gair sounds terrible!

With your last name, I think [name]Eliza[/name] is clearly the best choice!

I vote for [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Jane[/name] Daguerre

[name]Olive[/name]****
[name]Thea[/name]***
[name]Helena[/name]****
[name]Claire[/name]***
[name]Pearl[/name]**
[name]Eliza[/name]*****
[name]Jane[/name]**
[name]Jules[/name]*
[name]Flossie[/name]*
[name]Colette[/name]***

I like [name]Colette[/name]. It has good nn potential if you’d like that. I don’t dislike any of them. GL.

Wow, Thanks! I really appreciate all of the middle name suggestions too.

– [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is exactly how I was going to pair it up, if we went with [name]Eliza[/name].

• With the [name]Claire[/name] Daguerre issue, I honestly hadn’t thought about how annoying it might get to hear your name if it rhymed. I’m not exactly sure why I thought it was cute… I tend to like alliterative names too [like [name]Dagny[/name] Daguerre-- I know! It’s horrible. It’s not on the list. I’m just confessing to having questionable taste at times for the sake of rhyme or alliteration].
    • The pronunciation problems with [name]Helena[/name] are kind of a concern. Personally, I like Heh-LAN-a. HEL-en-a is okay too, though. She would probably have to correct people all of the time, and it might be one of those names that you have to think twice about before saying. I really like it, though, either way it’s pronounced.
    • I like [name]Juliet[/name] better than [name]Jules[/name] as well, though I don’t like [name]Julia[/name] much. We’ve thought about [name]Juliet[/name], but it’s gaining in popularity if I remember right and it happens to be my middle name. I know giving her my middle name wouldn’t prevent her from being her own person, but I guess I just don’t like the idea. I feel like I can do better than to give her a hand-me-down name. My husband actually likes the name [name]Jules[/name] because of the character in Pulp Fiction.
    • Because [name]Olivia[/name] is so popular, [name]Olive[/name] does seem sort of like a spin-off name. Like [name]McKenna[/name] is to [name]McKenzie[/name], [name]Addison[/name] to [name]Maddison[/name], ect. I don’t like that. And a lot of people really don’t like Olives, and therefore the name.

– [name]Flossie[/name] will probably end up being a middle name if anything. My husband let me put it on the list, but I know he doesn’t really like it. It’s just wishful thinking on my part that at some point he’ll decide it’s a great name.

Well, I appreciate all the feedback. We’ve got about two more months to decide. I’ll let you know how it goes! Thanks, everyone!

That’s hilarious! I guess I can see that.

Your middle name is [name]Juliet[/name]? I [name]LOVE[/name] that name! I voted for [name]Helena[/name], but I actually have it tied with [name]Eliza[/name]. :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thanks! I’ve always liked my middle name more than my first, which is [name]Caitlin[/name].

My husband really liked your suggestion of [name]Helena[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]. I made him read all the feedback, and for the first time I feel like we might actually be able to come to some sort of an agreement on a name. He likes [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Jane[/name] a lot too. I think lemon suggested that. I bet lemon is an [name]Austen[/name]/[name]Bronte[/name] fan.

I think one of the reasons I like [name]Pearl[/name] is because it’s the name of the little girl in [name]Hawthorn[/name]'s The [name]Scarlet[/name] Letter. Maybe this is a strange perspective, but I like what she represented or symbolized in the story. To me she stood for truth.

I’m so glad you liked [name]Helena[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]. I think it’s gorgeous, and I really love [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Jane[/name], too.

Yep, [name]Lemon[/name]'s a [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] fan, and I love her suggestion of [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Jane[/name]. :slight_smile: (I actually first started loving that name when I was a little girl and heard it on [name]Little[/name] House on the [name]Prairie[/name].) :slight_smile:

I think that both [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Helena[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] are beautiful and timeless. I really loved your list!

Have a good night! :slight_smile:

Thank you. I can’t take credit for having a likable list, though. Honestly, if my husband weren’t stubbornly opposed to all of my favorite names, that list would look very different. It would be littered with more unapproachable names like [name]Flossie[/name]. I also love [name]Jemima[/name], [name]Hattie[/name], [name]Leal[/name], [name]Peri[/name]… names that all sensible people seem to despise. I guess my daughter is lucky she has a very stubborn dad.

[name]Jill[/name] by the way is a great name. I considered it, but I have a cousin named [name]Jill[/name] and I didn’t want to steal her thunder.