Feedback, please :)

Alright, here goes. I’ve been working on DH’s family tree and made some new discoveries. Name-related discoveries, included. DH’s grandfather passed away at a really young age and he hasn’t been spoken about. I found a death certificate showing his name as [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Powell[/name_m] (first, middle). Come to find out that DH’s older brother was given [name_m]Powell[/name_m] as a third middle name, to honor his grandpa. DH has shown some interest in using some family names from his side, as well as mine, since that is sort of carried on through the generations.

That got me thinking…what does everyone think of [name_m]Powell[/name_m]? I was thinking of using it for a middle name. Possible combos we have so far are:

[name_m]Timothy[/name_m] [name_m]Powell[/name_m]
[name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]Powell[/name_m]: [name_m]Peter[/name_m] is a play off of my maiden name, we both love the name, and I’m not crazy about the alliteration but DH loves it because it reminds him of [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_u]Parker[/name_u] :wink:
[name_m]Ewan[/name_m] [name_m]Powell[/name_m]
[name_m]Ian[/name_m] [name_m]Powell[/name_m]

or…maybe we could get away using [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Powell[/name_m]? We don’t wish to stir up sadness in the family, but it would mean a lot to DH’s father, uncles, grandmother, and older brother. [name_m]Henry[/name_m] isn’t really used in our town, so I’m not super worried about popularity.

What does everyone think? Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

that is a great middle name! I really like it with all of your names, but I think [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] [name_m]Powell[/name_m] is my favorite.

Personally I like the name [name_m]Powell[/name_m] as a middle name. I associate it with [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_m]Baden[/name_m]-[name_m]Powell[/name_m] who was the founder of the Boy Scouts. My favorite firsts on your list are [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] and [name_m]Ian[/name_m]. I do like [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Powell[/name_m] but before using that as the name I say gather some opinions from DH and his family since you are worried about stirring up sadness.

[name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Powell[/name_m] is a great name, especially with the family meaning. Though it definitely would require more sensitivity to how the extended family would feel about it — would they feel honored and pleased, or would there be other emotions going on? I love finding family names through genealogy, but it seems like sometimes the best names belonged to the least admirable/memorable members of the family.

I think you can get away with [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]Powell[/name_m] if it’s a family name, but it’s a bit much. The “[name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_u]Piper[/name_u]” tongue-twister came to mind for me. The others all go well with [name_m]Powell[/name_m], so it probably depends on how each one flows with your last name.

@oneofthetrio: Thanks :slight_smile: [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] might just be my favorite too!

@tl95: I didn’t know about the Boy Scouts connection! That’s pretty cool. I think it sounds best with [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] and [name_m]Ian[/name_m] as well. I think you are right about feeling out how family would take it. DH is personally indifferent to the name [name_m]Henry[/name_m] but likes the [name_m]Powell[/name_m] part because it relates to his brother as well, who he has met (he never got to meet his grandpa), if that makes sense. [name_m]Henry[/name_m] might just have to get tossed out.

@lwj1986: I agree. I wouldn’t want to cause them any pain. I think honor names tread a very fine line, oftentimes, which is why I prefer to avoid them. While they might be touched, it could stir up very deep emotions. I think it would be better to just stick with [name_m]Powell[/name_m] then… As far as [name_m]Peter[/name_m], the more I think of it, the more I realize it wasn’t a great idea. We do love the name [name_m]Peter[/name_m], but it would be a bit extreme paired with [name_m]Powell[/name_m], and [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]Powell[/name_m] paired with our surname would be atrocious. Thanks for bringing that up!

I like [name_m]Ian[/name_m] the best with [name_m]Powell[/name_m]. I also think [name_m]Ian[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] would be nice or [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] or [name_m]Callum[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] (which I see is another name you like–also my son’s name, good choice!).

@oftenoverseas: Oh, I like your suggestions! [name_m]Ian[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] has a great sing to it! And I’d love to use [name_m]Callum[/name_m] (so cool that you have one!), but DH is not liking the name so much anymore :frowning: sigh. [name_m]Ah[/name_m] well!

I can’t tell if you’ve already heard from his family about using [name_m]Henry[/name_m] but if it would ‘mean alot to them’ i’m not sure why they wouldn’t want you to use it. But anyway, I think so, perhaps talk to them if you have not already.

I also like [name_m]Peter[/name_m], and I think it could work fine with [name_m]Powell[/name_m] depending on your last name. If it does not begin with P I think you are safe, if it does it’s probably too much all together.

@silkypumpkin: We’d rather not discuss names with anyone, as people in our families are arrogant, narcissistic jerks. Not the ones who would be involved with any concern over a little [name_m]Henry[/name_m], but those particular relatives wouldn’t keep the name under wraps. I think we are just going to scrap the idea of [name_m]Henry[/name_m] because of the potential complications and stick with trying to make a combo with [name_m]Powell[/name_m], since there’s another relative who has that name (albeit named after [name_m]Henry[/name_m]).

[name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]Powell[/name_m] would work, but another user’s comment inspired me to try the whole name out and it sounds bad with our surname. It has the same ending as [name_m]Peter[/name_m]. It wouldn’t sound bad with [name_m]Peter[/name_m], but [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]Powell[/name_m] it would be a bit too much.

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it!

I actually really like all of your choices, which is a rarity for me. :slight_smile: My least favorite name is [name_m]Ewan[/name_m]. I think [name_m]Powell[/name_m] works well, though! [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]Powell[/name_m] is my favorite. I also think [name_m]Henry[/name_m] is nice - if you wanted to mix it up a little but still have a clear tie to DH’s grandfather, you could also do [name_m]Hendrik[/name_m] or [name_m]Henrik[/name_m] [name_m]Powell[/name_m] instead of [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. :slight_smile: Good luck!