Female equivalent of the name Leif?

I’d like to have a character named after her uncle, but I don’t really know if I just want to straight-up use [name_m]Leif[/name_m]. They’re dragons, so I don’t particularly care about using it after all if there’s no good female name that’s sort-of similar, but I figured I’d ask! I’d like it to be Scandinavian, of any sort- the setting isn’t particularly specific in the first place when it comes to names. If anyone has ideas for made-up names, I’d be open to that too!

1 Like

It’s [name_m]Dutch[/name_m], not Scandinavian, but [name_f]Madelief[/name_f] could be a nice option! Also opens up to a lot of sweet nicknames. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

[name_f]Liv[/name_f] sounds the closest, but [name_u]Vivendel[/name_u], [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f], and [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] came to mind for nature names.

It’s actually not a nature name! Leif means “Successor,” “Descendent,” or “Heir,” depending on who you ask/where you look.

1 Like

Aww, that sounds cute! [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] fits as well- the source material I’m getting this from is… well. I meant it when I said that it wasn’t specific. The names in it range from ridiculous- Hiccup- to entirely plausible names like [name_f]Valka[/name_f], [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], and Agnar.

Oh yeah. But it does sound close to the word [name_u]Leaf[/name_u], so that’s why I thought of nature names.

1 Like

100% seconding [name_f]Madelief[/name_f]!

Also:
[name_u]Leith[/name_u]. It’s very, very similar to [name_m]Leif[/name_m], but I don’t know if you’d want that? It is Gaelic, not Scandinavian.
[name_f]Lieve[/name_f]. It’s [name_m]Dutch[/name_m], but fairly similar? It is pronounced Lee-vuh.
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]. This one is actually Scandinavian, and could be short for something like [name_f]Livia[/name_f] or [name_f]Liviana[/name_f]? Those aren’t Scandinavian, but [name_f]Liv[/name_f] is, and could stand on its own.
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]. It contains some of the same sounds?
Letha/Lethe. These are two different names, but similar enough that I listed them together.
[name_u]Elif[/name_u]. It’s [name_m]Leif[/name_m] with two letters swapped, and sounds slightly similar.
Google search showed Guðleif? I don’t know much about that one. It is Scandinavian.
Latif/Latheef/Letîf. These are multiple versions of a masculine name, but might work? Some female versions are Latifa/Latifah and Latife.
Maybe something like [name_f]Leila[/name_f]?

Sorry, most of those aren’t Scandinavian, but I thought I’d list whatever I could find.

Good luck naming!

1 Like