Ferdinand "Ferdie" and other Tein

Hi! I’m looking for names for twin boys and have fallen in love with…
Ferdinand nn Ferdie
I think this name is cute and unique yet not necessarily weird. But, whilst I love Ferdie I only just like or tolerate Ferdinand. Part of me thinks it is too posh and pretentious- a little bit of an outdated-only-old-men-and-princes name. Do you agree? Opinions?

Theodore
However, I don’t know which nn I prefer; Theo or Teddy. I think Teddy is cuter but perhaps TOO cutsie whilst, once again, I tolerate rather than love Theo.

Hugo/Hugh/Hubert
I just think these names are so cute, classic and wearable wherever. Firstly, which one do you prefer? I’m tempted towards Hugo but think Hubert nn Hubie is just to die for. However is Hubert too posh and pretentious; once again a outdated-only-old-men-and-princes name?

Bowie
Probably a middle.

Ackley
An English nature name not on Nameberry. I love it so much but don’t love Ackie!

Felix
No nickname for Felix! Nicknames are essential to me. Don’t love Fee but you may bring me round.

Oscar
I think Oscar is simple, not too popular, not too strange and is cute with Ossie as a nn.

George
Honour name. Probably a mn.

James
Ah! Who doesn’t love James? But that’s the problem; everyone and their brother has this name!

Archie/Alfie
But what long names? Probably needed if next to other long names I’ve suggested. Hate Archibald but could be brought round to Alfred… (probably not)

Sebastian
Love the name, hate Seb. Is Sebinevitable? Is it too posh? What other nicknames are there?

Sorry about the length of this post but thank you so much in advance for your replies! I’d love any opinions and suggestions of twin names and any sibsets you see working from these names. Also and fn mn combinations as well as nickname ideas would be much appreciated! Lastly, any other names that go with my style would be brilliant. THANK YOU

[name_u]Love[/name_u] your list! [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m] is awesome! I like/love [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Archie[/name_m] and [name_u]Alfie[/name_u].

Maybe Archambault (Ark-am-bo) or [name_m]Archimedes[/name_m] for [name_m]Archie[/name_m]?
[name_m]Aleph[/name_m] or Adelphi or Philadelphe for [name_u]Alfie[/name_u]?
[name_m]Fox[/name_m], Fel, Lix or [name_m]Flint[/name_m] for [name_m]Felix[/name_m]?

[name_u]Oakley[/name_u]?

Congratulations on your twin boys!

Looking at your eclectic list, it strikes me that you can take this in several different directions:

1) Lengthy, majestic, slightly [name_m]OTT[/name_m] (but in a cool way) formal names with cute, accessible nicknames:

• [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m] “[name_m]Ferdie[/name_m]” and [name_m]Archibald[/name_m] “[name_m]Archie[/name_m]” (or even [name_m]Archimedes[/name_m], as suggested above!)
  • [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m] “[name_m]Ferdie[/name_m]” and [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] “[name_m]Bastian[/name_m]”, “[name_m]Bas[/name_m]” or “Bash” if you don’t like [name_m]Seb[/name_m]
  • Other ideas: [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m] “[name_u]Max[/name_u]” or “[name_m]Maxim[/name_m]”; [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] “[name_m]Iggy[/name_m]”, “[name_m]Nate[/name_m]”, “[name_m]Nash[/name_m]”, “[name_u]Nat[/name_u]”; [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] or [name_m]Augustine[/name_m] “[name_m]Augie[/name_m]” or “[name_u]Gus[/name_u]”; [name_m]Devereaux[/name_m] “[name_m]Vero[/name_m]” or “[name_f]Roe[/name_f]”…

2) [name_m]Skip[/name_m] the formal name entirely and just use the quirky, vintage-style nickname names you seem to love as the full names:

• [name_m]Ferdie[/name_m] and [name_m]Archie[/name_m]/[name_u]Alfie[/name_u]/[name_m]Hubie[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Ferdie[/name_m] and Ackley (not a nickname name I know but similar length and feel and I think they work well together; I doubt anyone would try and call Ackley “Ackie”!)
  • Other ideas: [name_m]Albie[/name_m], [name_u]Vinnie[/name_u], [name_u]Rex[/name_u], [name_u]Reggie[/name_u], [name_m]Augie[/name_m], [name_u]Roscoe[/name_u], [name_m]Hal[/name_m], [name_u]Gus[/name_u], [name_u]Sonny[/name_u], [name_u]Jem[/name_u]…
    [b]
  1. Ditch [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m]/[name_m]Ferdie[/name_m] and go with two shorter, more mainstream but still slightly quirky/vintage names:[/b]
  • Any combination of [name_m]Felix[/name_m]/[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]/[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]/[name_m]Hugh[/name_m]/[name_u]Theo/name_u/[name_m]Alfred[/name_m]/[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] (the latter doesn’t seem too [name_m]OTT[/name_m] to me at all, but it is quite popular here in the UK so maybe it has a different flavour in the US?), and probably Ackley would work here too
  • Other ideas: [name_m]Fergus[/name_m], [name_m]Rufus[/name_m], [name_m]Milo[/name_m]/[name_m]Miles[/name_m], [name_u]Remy[/name_u], [name_m]Jasper[/name_m], [name_m]Albert[/name_m], [name_m]Wilbur[/name_m], [name_m]Wilfred[/name_m], [name_m]Emil[/name_m], [name_m]Casper[/name_m], [name_m]Huxley[/name_m], [name_m]Leonard[/name_m], [name_u]Lionel[/name_u], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], [name_m]Edwin[/name_m], [name_m]Oswin[/name_m], [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m], [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_u]Dexter[/name_u], [name_m]Victor[/name_m], [name_m]Walter[/name_m], [name_m]Rupert[/name_m], [name_m]Harvey[/name_m], [name_m]Clement[/name_m], [name_m]Vincent[/name_m], [name_u]Blaise[/name_u]…

Thanks @[name_f]Katinka[/name_f] ! Not expecting, just collecting… (for others and future)
You’ve really helped clear my thoughts about the names! I love your suggestion of [name_m]Rufus[/name_m] and [name_m]Fergus[/name_m]- I was also considering [name_m]Angus[/name_m] so love [name_m]Fergus[/name_m] “[name_u]Fergie[/name_u]”. In reference to [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], I’m also from [name_f]England[/name_f] and live here so have probably missed something when it comes to that name and have based my assumptions off people I know. I think I may go with either [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and Ackley, [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and [name_m]Angus[/name_m]/[name_m]Felix[/name_m] or [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m] and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m].

I recently saw [name_m]Baz[/name_m] as a nickname for [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], I thought that was cute! :slight_smile:
My grandfather was [name_m]Archie[/name_m] with no long name, so I’m biased but I think it’s a good stand alone. I’ve also heard [name_m]Archie[/name_m] as nn for [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]! Or [name_m]Archer[/name_m]! :slight_smile: