Ffion

[name_f]My[/name_f] mom’s family is from [name_m]Wales[/name_m] and are quite proud of it, and I know my mom would really love it if I were to use a name of Welsh background as a nod to that. I like [name_f]Cerys[/name_f], [name_u]Seren[/name_u] and [name_f]Bethan[/name_f], but I’m not sure I love them (I do prefer [name_f]Bethany[/name_f] to [name_f]Bethan[/name_f]), and I can’t use [name_f]Megan[/name_f] as I have a cousin with the name.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite Welsh name is by far [name_f]Ffion[/name_f], but I know that outside of the UK, it’s likely very odd? It’s pronounced as [name_u]Fee[/name_u]-on, which I feel isn’t too hard to get from it, but I wonder if the double F is too odd?

I love [name_f]Heather[/name_f] & [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] as sisters (both subtle flower connections), and [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] & [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] also sound pretty sweet together imo.

What are your thoughts on the name [name_f]Ffion[/name_f]? Would you say it’s too unusual to use in [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_u]America[/name_u], even in the middle spot?

Thank you!

1 Like

I think it could work. It’s not overly complicated and i think if i had to guess the pronunciation, i would be able to. [name_f]Heather[/name_f] and [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] make a cute sibset

1 Like

I have to plug for [name_u]Seren[/name_u]. It’s one of my personal favorites! :grin:

I have never met someone in [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_u]America[/name_u] named [name_f]Ffion[/name_f]. To my eyes, the double “f” does look a little odd. I agree that the pronunciation isn’t that difficult to get to, although I could see people trying FYE-on or [name_u]Fee[/name_u]-OWN.

It would definitely be an unusual choice, but I love when names have a strong meaning - and this one definitely does! If people comment, your daughter could bring up her Welsh heritage. If you’re uncomfortable with using it as a first name, I think it would be a great middle name.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helped!

1 Like

I LOVE [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] on so much! I think it’s stunning, sweet, and soft. I first heard it in an episode of [name_m]Black[/name_m] Mirror, and I fell in love with it.
I’m from the Northeast of the United States, and I don’t think it would be too unusual at all. I think you might have some pronunciation issues, but as long as you don’t mind having to correct people, I think it should be okay. and once they know how to pronounce it, I’m sure they will catch on easily. To me, [name_u]Fee[/name_u]-on is a simple enough pronunciation. I know the double f is not common, but I wouldn’t consider it odd! While I love it as a first, I agree that if you are unsure, it would make a beautiful middle. I love all of the meaning behind it too, and I think it’s so special!

1 Like

I’m in the US, and I think [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] would be fine! Despite never seeing the name before, I immediately knew how to pronounce it.

1 Like

Personally I don’t love the name [name_f]Ffion[/name_f], but that’s because I knew one and she and her sister’s fought constantly (sister’s were [name_f]Elin[/name_f] (Eh-lynn) and Menna).

But I think it’s very wearable outside the UK, it’s much more intuitive than lots of Irish spellings and people use those all the time!

2 Likes

I think it’s definitely usable in the US. At least where I live, Irish names are becoming more common, and this one is more easily pronounce/spelled compared to others.

1 Like

I really like [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] :slight_smile: I think it might cause a bit of confusion in the US but it’s nothing that couldn’t be easily explained. I would love to meet a little [name_f]Ffion[/name_f]!

2 Likes

Thank you all, I’m so glad [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] could work over here as I do really love it. Correcting a name isn’t too big of an issue for me, as I’m used to doing it with my own for so long!

1 Like

[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] is so sweet, I was so excited to see someone considering it! Use it!

1 Like

[name_m]How[/name_m] do you pronounce [name_f]Ffion[/name_f]? I would say EFF-ee-awn I think, is that right?

1 Like

It’s pronounced [name_u]Fee[/name_u]-on, so you’re actually not too far off! :slight_smile:

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite Welsh name is [name_f]Eluned[/name_f], just wanted to suggest it! [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] is nice, although it is definitely one that would have to be explained to the substitute teacher :joy:!