final list.. whats your favourite?

hi again!
we have finally narrowed down our list to seven, and are hoping to bring it down to three or four, and then move on to middle names! I would love to know which names you would keep and which you would not (or maybe save for a middle). I am especially interested in those you don’t like, is there something negative about the names that we have missed?
We are after a name that is feminine without being to fancy. We want a name that would sound cute and spunky on a little girl (maybe with a good nickname), but also sound feminine and sophisticated on an adult.

So here is our final list (we are currently leaning towards the first four… but this could change!)

1. [name]Florence[/name]
    This is my husbands favourite, and I’m starting to love it too. [name]Just[/name] worried that it’s a little too ‘old lady-ish’ (not that that’s a bad thing!) Also not sure about what the best nickname would be.
  2. [name]Opal[/name]
    Not sure if it sounds a bit like we are trying too hard for a different name. Although it is a legitimate name, there’s something about it that feels a little madeup-ish. What do you think about nn [name]Polly[/name]? - this wouldn’t be a name I would introduce her as, rather just a way of shortening the name at home (does that make sense??)
  3. [name]Elsa[/name]
    This is probably my favourite at the moment. Although it’s old lady-ish, it’s fresh enough to work on a young girl in my opinion. I also love the nn [name]Elsie[/name].
  4. [name]Mannie[/name]
    My husband has fallen in love with [name]Mannie[/name] for a girl. I think it’s cute but I don’t think it can really stand on it’s own as a full name. What could it be a nickname for? Is it too masculine?
  5. [name]Iris[/name]
    This was my old favourite. My husband thinks it is too dated. I still like it but am just starting to get bored of it- i guess because new names keep popping up. Shooud I stick to the old favourite?
  6. [name]Cleo[/name]
    Worried about this name on a middle aged lady, it just doesn’t quite seem right.
  7. [name]Katia[/name]
    Probably the ‘safest’ option- but it just feels a bit boring next to all the other names.

So sorry about all the questions!! I don’t expect anyone to answer them all, I just put them in to show what reservations we have with each of the names. [name]Feel[/name] free to answer the though- I would love some feedback!!!
I woud love your thoughts on our top 7!!!

[name]Florence[/name] - Hm. This one could be cute, I think. I don’t like the [name]Flo[/name] nickname potential, though, and I think [name]Flora[/name] feels like a much fresher, yet still distinctly vintage choice. I just couldn’t imagine wanting to be a teenager called [name]Florence[/name], but maybe that’s just me. If I were you, I’d opt for [name]Flora[/name] or [name]Frances[/name], which offers adorable nicknames, or use [name]Florence[/name] for a middle name.

[name]Opal[/name] - I’ve met one [name]Opal[/name] in my life, and she was a sixty-something physical therapist. I remember thinking, “What an old lady name!” I’m sorry. I’m usually one for old-lady names, but [name]Opal[/name] just doesn’t do it for me. It doesn’t have the same playful, whimsical vibe that [name]Ruby[/name] has, and it isn’t quite as delicate and sweet as [name]Pearl[/name] is. So, if you do use [name]Opal[/name], I’d save it for a middle name. But, honestly, I’d choose [name]Florence[/name] over [name]Opal[/name]!

[name]Elsa[/name] - I love [name]Elsa[/name]! Honestly, it is a superb choice. [name]Elsie[/name] is so sweet for a little girl or a grown woman, and [name]Elsa[/name] is the perfect balance between vintage and modern. Really great name!

[name]Mannie[/name]- Oh, oh, oh. For me, [name]Mannie[/name] sounds like a nickname for an older Mexican man called [name]Manuel[/name]. That’s really all I can think of. I’m not trying to hurt your feelings - or your husband’s! - but I would not use [name]Mannie[/name] for a daughter. There’s nothing feminine about it in the slightest, and it really doesn’t sound like a name-name. It isn’t. It’s a nickname, for a guy. That sounded bad, didn’t it? Sorry! You’ve got such pretty options…

[name]Iris[/name] - I don’t think [name]Iris[/name] is too dated, not compared to [name]Florence[/name] and [name]Opal[/name], at least! [name]Iris[/name] has a very pretty, soft feel to it, and I think it would serve a little girl and a grown woman nicely. It’s a very pretty name and it has the potential to be spunky and sweet!

[name]Cleo[/name] - [name]Cleo[/name] feels incomplete to me, and I think I’d like it 1) as a pet name, considering it feels rather poodle-ish to me, or 2) as a nickname for the very vintage [name]Clementine[/name]. That sounds bad, too, doesn’t it? Sorry, again!

[name]Katia[/name] - I prefer the [name]Katya[/name] spelling, but this name is a far cry from your other more vintage choices, with the exception of [name]Cleo[/name]. I actually think [name]Katya[/name] is a cool name that should be used more, like [name]Anya[/name], but you seem like you want to go with a vintage name, so I wouldn’t use this.

[name]Favorite[/name] is definitely [name]Elsa[/name]. I love it! [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Florence[/name] would be adorable for your daughter!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

No offence taken!! I’d rather get negative comments now while I’m still choosing than out on the street with the baby! It’s good to know what possible critisims people might have before giving the child a name for life! My husband came up with [name]Mannie[/name] and decided that he loved it and started to try talk me into it. It’s good to hear another perspective because sometimes you get one idea in your head and can’t see any of the negatives! Although I can see how he thinks it would be cute, I think I agree with the Mexican man image!
Also, I think it’s funny that I am worried about [name]Opal[/name] sounding too trendy, whislt you see it as too old fashioned! This is why I’m so glad I found nameberry!
I’m glad you like [name]Elsa[/name], it’s my favourite at the moment as well! I think what sold it to me was meeting a 16 year old [name]Elsa[/name] the other day. It just seemed right, not dated at all!

Oh and I forgot to mention I love the sound of [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Florence[/name]!
[name]Do[/name] you think we should put a less old fashioned name in the middle spot though? Pity [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Katia[/name] doesn’t flow!

Off your list [name]Elsa[/name] is my favorite. It is a great name and can fit almost anyone. I dont really care for [name]Mannie[/name], [name]Opal[/name], or [name]Cleo[/name]. [name]Katia[/name], [name]Florence[/name], and [name]Iris[/name] I like as well. [name]Iris[/name] would have to be my second choice, I dont think it sounds outdated at all. Infact, [name]Opal[/name] and [name]Florence[/name] feel more dated to me than [name]Iris[/name]. [name]Iris[/name] is vintage and sounds very fresh to me.

[name]Florence[/name]~I think this one might be a little too “old lady-ish” The nickname [name]Flo[/name] doesn’t really flow well with a little girl.

[name]Opal[/name]~ I like this one. It’s a little old fashioned but can be pulled off in modern times. Plus opals are really pretty.

[name]Elsa[/name]~ This one I don’t think is the least bit old lady-ish. I actually think it really pretty. Paired with the right middle name that could be a real winner.

[name]Mannie[/name]~ Too boy-ish

[name]Iris[/name]~ My fave on your list but I am partial to flower names :smiley:

[name]Cleo[/name]~ I had a fish names [name]Cleo[/name], so I’m not really a fan of it for a baby name.

[name]Katia[/name]~ You are right. A little too safe. I really like the direction you are going with some of the other names :wink:

Btw I hope you take this as constructive criticism so to speak. I am not trying to be rude in the least little bit :smiley:

First off – [name]Mannie[/name]. [name]Lemon[/name]'s right – masculine, nickname for [name]Manuel[/name]. Also, [name]Manny[/name] is the name of the boy on the super-popular show Modern Family … I think you need to talk your husband out of this one. If he’s tied to it, what about [name]Millie[/name]? Or [name]Meridie[/name] (short for [name]Meredith[/name])? [name]Mamie[/name]? [name]Manzie[/name] (apparently this is [name]Woody[/name] [name]Allen[/name]'s daughter’s name)?

[name]Elsa[/name] [name]Florence[/name] is beautiful, and I don’t think you need to worry about having something less old fashioned in the middle – the middle spot is just the place for a name you think is beautiful and has gravitas, but maybe isn’t quite right for a first. And I do find it hard to wrap my head around “[name]Florence[/name]” as a first name – [name]Flo[/name] is just not a nn option, and while [name]Flory[/name] is OK, I don’t love it.

I’m a big fan of [name]Iris[/name] and, although it would take some bravery to actually use, I like [name]Cleo[/name]. I think [name]Cleo[/name]'s cute & “kicky.”

I find [name]Opal[/name] old fashioned in a not-good way, and [name]Katia[/name] falls into that “don’t use it unless you’re actually of the nationality” brand of names for me. Like, I love [name]Thierry[/name], but I’m not French, so I would feel that if I use it I’d be being a bit pretentious.

So… [name]Mannie[/name] is officially off the list!!! We are starting to like [name]Freya[/name] though (husband loves the nn [name]Freddie[/name]).
To me [name]Freya[/name] has a similar feel to [name]Elsa[/name], what do you think?
I think at the moment we are leaning towards [name]Elsa[/name], [name]Freya[/name], [name]Iris[/name] or [name]Opal[/name] ([name]Even[/name] though most people don’t seem to like [name]Opal[/name] I just can’t let go of it!)

[name]Do[/name] you think we should avoid [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Freya[/name] because our top two boys names are [name]Isaac[/name] and [name]Felix[/name] and we would probably like to use them for future sons?

[name]How[/name] about the nn “[name]Florie[/name]” for [name]Florence[/name]. I knew a girl w/ this name and nn combo once before. Thought it was unique and not too “made-up” for a nn.

I don’t love [name]Opal[/name]. I think your fears about trying too hard to be unique have a bit of truth to it. It would be a fun mn, but not that practical as a first name I don’t think.

[name]Florence[/name] is my fav from the list followed by [name]Elsa[/name]! I also really like [name]Freya[/name]. I go back and forth between this name, but today I really like the sound of it and I think it fits the qualities you are looking for in a name for your daughter.

Ranking them it would be:

1. [name]Elsa[/name] - I love it, my absolute favorite on your list.
  2. [name]Iris[/name] - I like it, still very vintage which a lot of flower names don’t have going for them. Also like the mythology connection.
  3. [name]Opal[/name] - Like [name]Iris[/name], still vintage and offbeat unlike a lot of jewel names. I’m not crazy about it though.
  4. [name]Florence[/name] - I prefer [name]Flora[/name].

[name]Iris[/name] and [name]Opal[/name] would make really great sisters, I think.

I know you said you have taken it off the list, but I just wanted to mention a very popular name in [name]France[/name] is [name]Manon[/name], which can have the nickname [name]Mannie[/name] :slight_smile:

From your list my favourites are [name]Elsa[/name], [name]Freya[/name] and [name]Florence[/name]

I like [name]Elsa[/name] & [name]Florence[/name]
Good luck!

I actually really like [name]Opal[/name]! I think it’s a beautiful name… I like [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Freya[/name] as well. And it’s a little bit funny, because both [name]Florence[/name] and [name]Elsa[/name] are my grandmothers : P I think [name]Opal[/name] and [name]Iris[/name] would make a very cute sibset, like pp said. Good luck! : )

1. [name]Florence[/name]
      This is my husbands favourite, and I’m starting to love it too. [name]Just[/name] worried that it’s a little too ‘old lady-ish’ (not that that’s a bad thing!) Also not sure about what the best nickname would be.
  1. [name]Opal[/name]
    Not sure if it sounds a bit like we are trying too hard for a different name. Although it is a legitimate name, there’s something about it that feels a little madeup-ish. What do you think about nn [name]Polly[/name]? - this wouldn’t be a name I would introduce her as, rather just a way of shortening the name at home (does that make sense??)
  2. [name]Elsa[/name]
    This is probably my favourite at the moment. Although it’s old lady-ish, it’s fresh enough to work on a young girl in my opinion. I also love the nn [name]Elsie[/name].
  3. [name]Mannie[/name]
    My husband has fallen in love with [name]Mannie[/name] for a girl. I think it’s cute but I don’t think it can really stand on it’s own as a full name. What could it be a nickname for? Is it too masculine?
  4. [name]Iris[/name]
    This was my old favourite. My husband thinks it is too dated. I still like it but am just starting to get bored of it- i guess because new names keep popping up. Shooud I stick to the old favourite?
  5. [name]Cleo[/name]
    Worried about this name on a middle aged lady, it just doesn’t quite seem right.
  6. [name]Katia[/name]
    Probably the ‘safest’ option- but it just feels a bit boring next to all the other names.

So sorry about all the questions!! I don’t expect anyone to answer them all, I just put them in to show what reservations we have with each of the names. [name]Feel[/name] free to answer the though- I would love some feedback!!!
I woud love your thoughts on our top 7!!!yvette1

1. [name]Florence[/name]: I’m with [name]Lemon[/name]. [name]Florence[/name] is okay; [name]Flora[/name] rocks it. [name]Flora[/name] would go nicely from craddle to grave – from babyhood to girlhood to adulthood, [name]Flora[/name] works. [name]Don[/name]'t know if anyone else suggested it, but I like [name]Fleur[/name] as an unusual nn for [name]Flora[/name]. If you choose [name]Flora[/name] or [name]Florence[/name], I would firmly steer people away from the nn [name]Flo[/name]. That really is dated.

2. Maybe it’s the echo of [name]Oprah[/name] that makes you think [name]Opal[/name] is made up. Whatever. I’m not a convert to this name.

3. [name]Elsa[/name]. I think this a great name and fast becoming a personal favorite. [name]Elsie[/name] is darling too. My favorite on this list.

4. [name]Mannie[/name]. Whhhhaaaatttttt? I just can’t get behind this. If you were willing to consider a tweak to [name]Mamie[/name] or [name]Mimi[/name], that would be something else entirely. As is, I’d say no.

5. [name]Iris[/name] is sweet, isn’t it. But it is starting to sound a little last [name]Tuesday[/name]. If you want to use this, I’m sure it will be fine. But if fresher is starting to sound better, I’d say keep looking.

6. [name]Cleo[/name]. Like [name]Clio[/name] better, but don’t really like either all that much.

7. [name]Katia[/name]. Not sure of prnounciation. Other might have same response. All my guesses sound good though. Seems safe but workable choice.

1. [name]Florence[/name] – It is still very old lady to me. I see [name]Florence[/name] [name]Henderson[/name]. If you do go with it, your nickname potentials stay with things like [name]Flo[/name] and [name]Flossie[/name]. So personally, I don’t like this at all.

2. [name]Opal[/name] – I’ve always wished I knew someone named [name]Opal[/name]. I don’t particularly like it, but I feel like I would if I knew one to give me a positive impression. [name]Polly[/name] would be cute for an around-the-house nick too!

3. [name]Elsa[/name] – I know a little [name]Elsa[/name], and I think it’s a sweet name. It’s very stylish as well.

4. [name]Mannie[/name] – I don’t like it at all. Very masculine, I think. My first though on a full name is [name]Emanuela[/name]/[name]Manuela[/name], or something along those lines.

5. [name]Iris[/name] – I know it’s getting a bit fashionable now, and maybe it will grow on me (my friend just had [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Iris[/name] last year), but I just keep thinking of eyeballs.

6. [name]Cleo[/name] – I think a [name]Cleo[/name] would grow with her name as she grew up. It’s not something that I like, but at the same time, if one of my friends announced that she was naming her baby [name]Cleo[/name], I would think it was very cool and different. I also really love [name]Clea[/name] (or, as my friend spelled it, Cleia), and Claya (although every spelling I see seems ugly, but the sound is beautiful!).

7. [name]Katia[/name] – This is pretty too. Not my style, but still a sweet pretty name. I don’t think it’s all that boring, unless you live in an area with lots of Katias.

So I like [name]Cleo[/name] best, then [name]Elsa[/name], [name]Katia[/name], [name]Opal[/name]. [name]Don[/name]'t care for the others.