Fine Tuning the Name

I’ve posted before to some fabulous suggestions on what to name our surprise that is due in about two weeks. I think that we have decided on a boy name:

[name]Reid[/name] [name]Nathaniel[/name] Morales is our top choice with [name]Joel[/name] [name]Conrad[/name] or [name]Grant[/name] [name]Spencer[/name] on deck if we get a boy that just doesn’t seem like a [name]Reid[/name].

We’re having a little bit of trouble on the girl name though. Our top two are [name]Millicent[/name] [name]Blair[/name] or [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]. Part of the problem is that we would have to change up one of them if we have another girl someday (I know I shouldn’t worry about what to name THIS baby just in case we have another one somewhere down the line, but still). I kind of like that there are so many nickname choices with [name]Margaret[/name], but I feel like I see fewer little ones named [name]Millicent[/name] or [name]Millie[/name]. I also worry that [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Blythe[/name] might be too “old lady”. My husband and I love both names, can you help us decide?

I really [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Blythe[/name], and for what it’s worth, it doesn’t feel “old lady” to me at all. (If I were forced to choose which name felt more “old lady” to me, I’d actually pick [name]Millicent[/name], which I actually love, but that may be because I’m in the U.S. and have yet to come upon a [name]Millicent[/name] under the age of 90.)

Like you, I love the [name]Margaret[/name] nicknames (especially [name]Maisie[/name] and [name]Daisy[/name]), and [name]Blythe[/name] feels so cheerful and light to me. (It’s one of my favorite names.) :slight_smile:

I do like [name]Millicent[/name], but I love [name]Margaret[/name] more. I also love [name]Blythe[/name] more than I do [name]Blair[/name], and the vintage [name]Millicent[/name] and modern sounding [name]Blair[/name] have very different styles.

In case you’re still looking for [name]Millie[/name] names, I can see [name]Millie[/name] as a nickname for:

[name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] (If [name]Tillie[/name] can be a nickname, why not [name]Millie[/name]?)

So, my vote goes to [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]. (I actually know sisters named [name]Margaret[/name] and [name]Blythe[/name].) :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

I agree with [name]Jill[/name] - I see [name]Millicent[/name] as a bit more old lady, which is why I think [name]Millie[/name] as a standalone is getting more popular in the UK rather than the full name [name]Millicent[/name] (which I have yet to come across in a birth announcement or popularity chart). Having said that, if [name]Mabel[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] are getting a revival, why not [name]Millicent[/name]? It’s a very sweet name, and I do love [name]Millie[/name]. Plus, I love your combination with [name]Millicent[/name] [name]Blair[/name].

Like [name]Jill[/name], I love [name]Blythe[/name] and I think [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Blythe[/name] is gorgeous. I also really like the nn of [name]Maisie[/name] in particular (although [name]Margaret[/name] has so many options).

Sorry, I’m no help! I like both names. I think wait and see what she “feels” like. Good luck!

PS [name]Love[/name] your boys names as well. You have great taste!

I know! Such a delimma being caught between two names that I really love (AND that my husband loves!) He thinks the baby will be a boy so it won’t matter…

I went to [name]Barnard[/name] college for my undergraduate studies, so [name]Millicent[/name] actually comes from [name]Millicent[/name] McIntosh, who was a president of the college and all around awesome woman. I found out later she was actually named [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Millicent[/name], which kind of complicates things for me further! I think that hearing that name so often there makes it sound fresh to my ear, even though you are both right that it IS the more “old lady” of the two names.

If we changed the middle name to something else with [name]Millicent[/name], do you think the names are still too close together to use for a future daughter if this baby is a girl?

I’m really not a [name]Margaret[/name] fan. Something about it doesn’t sound very nice to me. [name]Millicent[/name] is cute. In most of [name]America[/name] it would probably be too old lady, but somewhere hip or in the UK it would be cool. I don’t think [name]Margaret[/name] and [name]Millicent[/name] are too similar to be sisters, but the only problem is that you might fall into the one letter trap.

If you like the [name]Maggie[/name] nn I think [name]Magdalena[/name] [name]Blair[/name] would gorgeous.

I don’t think [name]Margaret[/name] and [name]Millicent[/name] are too close but I think you’d need to change one middle name as the same initials are too much. So whether she’s a [name]Millicent[/name] or a [name]Margaret[/name], I’d pick whichever of [name]Blair[/name] or [name]Blythe[/name] you like best. [name]Millicent[/name] [name]Blythe[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Blair[/name] to me work as well as the other way around. Then, for a second daughter, you could take the name you didn’t use and try some new combinations.

Honestly I’m not a fan of [name]Margaret[/name] alone but it’s adorable nn’s win me over. [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Blythe[/name] is very pretty. I think [name]Maisie[/name] or [name]Daisy[/name] are just the sweetest nn’s. Oh and [name]Margaret[/name] and [name]Millicent[/name] could work as sisters.

I like [name]Millicent[/name] better. I love the middle names [name]Blair[/name] and [name]Blythe[/name] !
Good luck!

Hmmm… That’s a tough one. I love [name]Millicent[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name]. [name]Blair[/name] doesn’t really fit with either to me, it just seems trendier whilst the others are classic. [name]Blythe[/name] works with either in my opinion but I love the sound of [name]Millicent[/name] [name]Blythe[/name] especially, nn [name]Milly[/name].

Completely irrelevant but I have a younger cousin [name]Milly[/name] ([name]Millicent[/name]) and an aunt, [name]Margaret[/name] nn [name]Margie[/name] so because of this I find it easier to imagine a little girl called [name]Milly[/name] rather than [name]Margie[/name]. Would you like some other ‘b’ middles? I’m bored so here’s some suggestions anyway:)

[name]Belle[/name]/[name]Bella[/name]
[name]Bea[/name]
[name]Benet[/name] (with an accent on the second e, prn. ben-AY
[name]Bess[/name]
[name]Beth[/name]
[name]Blanche[/name] - goes perfectly with [name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Breanne[/name]
[name]Brione[/name]
[name]Britt[/name]
[name]Bronte[/name] - (with an accent on the second e, prn. [name]BRON[/name]-ty
[name]Brooke[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] some of that was helpful:) Good [name]Luck[/name]!

Oh, just to add, I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Reid[/name] [name]Nathaniel[/name]!

I like [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Blythe[/name] & [name]Joel[/name] [name]Conrad[/name] the best :slight_smile:

I like [name]Blair[/name] and [name]Blythe[/name] but I am not fond of the other names, sorry.

[name]Millicent[/name] is more old lady than [name]Margaret[/name] but I prefer the softer old names like [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Elise[/name] and so on. I find the nn of [name]Milly[/name] is rather cute and yet a little plain [name]Jane[/name] at the same time.

I think that [name]Margot[/name] [name]Blythe[/name] is much prettier than [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]. [name]Blythe[/name] is such a lovely airy fairy name and the elegant and feminine [name]Margot[/name] is a good match.

One point with [name]Blair[/name] is that I hear [name]Bear[/name].

[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Blair[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Blair[/name]
[name]Laura[/name] [name]Blair[/name]

I adore [name]Blythe[/name], and I don’t think that [name]Margaret[/name] is too old lady at all! There are so many adorable nicknames that would suit a little girl perfectly - [name]Maisie[/name] and [name]Daisy[/name], of course, and [name]Maggie[/name] has a lot of quirky charm in my eyes. [name]Greta[/name] is a good nn for a glamorous adult, too, when she is older.

[name]Millicent[/name] nn [name]Milly[/name] is lovely, too, and I adore the suggestion of [name]Matilda[/name] nn [name]Tilly[/name] or [name]Milly[/name].

Good luck!

i love reid nathaniel and millicent! i would love to use it also but i am afraid they might get teased or something ):

I definitely hadn’t thought of hearing “bear” instead of [name]Blair[/name]. I had originially thought that [name]Millicent[/name] would be [name]Millicent[/name] [name]Claire[/name], but my husband likes the “b” sound better. I also understand the criticism of the first and middle names not necessarily matching in style, but I feel like if I go with something in the style of [name]Margaret[/name]/[name]Millicent[/name] and our daughter grows up to hate it (which, I’ll readily admit that I probably would have growing up) she will have a more modern option. I guess I feel a little bit more strongly about that in terms of [name]Millicent[/name]/[name]Milly[/name] than I do for [name]Margaret[/name], since I guess there are more modern sounding nicknames.

First off, [name]Reid[/name] [name]Nathaniel[/name] is awesome!

And, I don’t care for [name]Millicent[/name] (old lady) or [name]Millie[/name] (I met a really creepy woman named [name]Millie[/name] this weekend; she should have been a Cruella). I like [name]Margaret[/name] for its nicknames, not the full name. I like [name]Maisie[/name] and such, but my favorite nickname for [name]Margaret[/name] is [name]Meg[/name]. Its all very [name]Little[/name] Women and classic and cute at the same time. [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Blythe[/name] is my choice, not because I like [name]Blythe[/name], but because it matches [name]Margaret[/name].

For your next girl, what about another English three-syllable (if you have another girl down the road…)? [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Gayle[/name], [name]Augusta[/name] [name]Clare[/name], [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Jane[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Cate[/name], [name]Georgina[/name] [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Rosalind[/name] [name]Nell[/name], or [name]Winifred[/name] [name]Paige[/name] (a stretch for me)?

[name]Margaret[/name] is a pretty “serious” name to me, while [name]Millicent[/name] feels a lot more playful. There was that movie with [name]Diane[/name] [name]Keaton[/name] and [name]Mandy[/name] [name]Moore[/name], Because I [name]Said[/name] So, and [name]Mandy[/name] [name]Moore[/name]'s character was named [name]Millie[/name]. So some screenwriter out there is trying to bring it back! LOL.

From your post it seems like you’re more smitten with [name]Millicent[/name], and I think you should go for it. By the time you have another, your tastes will probably have moved on from [name]Margaret[/name], so I wouldn’t worry about whether they’re too similar. When I think of the alternative names we had for our firstborn, I’m really, really glad we didn’t pick them! LOL.

Scarlettsmom, you make an excellent point. When I think back even just a year or two ago to what names I really loved…I cringe.

There are definitely names that I like more than the two we are trying to work out here (for example, [name]Georgia[/name] or [name]Susannah[/name]), but those are two that I do like and that my husband LOVES. My name has the MM first name, last name alliteration, and for some reason my husband thinks that is just tops. Like the best thing in the whole world. I’m pretty sure any daughter we have will have an M name like I do. :slight_smile: It is kind of cute what ends up being important…

He also swears that we are having a boy, so all of this may be pointless for a while at least :slight_smile:

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Margaret[/name]. It’s perfect for a growing girl. I think [name]Maggie[/name] is the cutest nickname, and the name will age well with her.
I really don’t like the name [name]Millicent[/name], although the nickname [name]Millie[/name] is cute. Like someone said before, [name]Camilla[/name] or [name]Camille[/name] would be a much nicer way of getting to the nickname [name]Millie[/name], or just name her [name]Millie[/name].
My vote is definitely for [name]Margaret[/name] though. :]

[name]Reid[/name] [name]Nathaniel[/name] is a VERY handsome name! But when it comes to “old lady” i see that more with [name]Millicent[/name], i see it with [name]Margaret[/name] too but not as much as [name]Margie[/name] or [name]Maggie[/name] isnt as old feeling. But with [name]Millicent[/name] i think of [name]Milly[/name] with for some reason makes me think of Cow. Similar to how [name]Bess[/name], Besty, [name]Bessy[/name], ect make me think of cows as in old cartoons there are typical cow names. Good luck i hope you can make a decision!