Finn- is it really as popular as I fear?

[name]Hi[/name]! I need your help- I’m 36 weeks pregnant with a boy, and DH and I are having trouble agreeing on a name. I really want [name]Dillon[/name], since it’s my middle name, my mom’s las name. Hubby can’t get over the fact that my cousin is already named [name]Dillon[/name]. 7 years ago when we were dating and in college, we used to talk about having kids named [name]Zoe[/name], [name]Innes[/name], and [name]Finn[/name]. Today, we have a 2-year old DD named [name]Zoe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name]. We both still theoretically like the name [name]Innes[/name] but agree that it’s too teaseable, and in Spanish it’s a girl’s name. Since [name]Dillon[/name] is off the table except as a middle name, the only name DH wants to consider is [name]Finn[/name]. I still like the name, but the trendiness factor is making me uncomfortable. I live in a trendy neighborhood and know 2 Phineases and 1 [name]Griffin[/name] from the playground.
My question: is [name]Finn[/name] he [name]Jason[/name] of his decade? [name]Will[/name] I regret naming my son [name]Finn[/name] [name]Dillon[/name]? Or will it turn out OK and I should just go with it and put the matter to rest?
Thanks in advance!

[name]Finn[/name] is probably not as popular as you think. Some of my baby name books are dated but one has it at a popularity level of No# 659 and the book was published in 2005. I don’t think it will have the appeal of a [name]Jason[/name]. I’ve always felt that [name]Finn[/name] was a short form for [name]Finley[/name], [name]Finnegan[/name], [name]Finnian[/name], [name]Fintan[/name] or [name]Finnbar[/name]. If I can be honest, I don’t think [name]Finn[/name] [name]Dillon[/name] has the best flow. It may be due to the fact that they have similar endings. Strangely enough, if you switch them around - [name]Dillon[/name] [name]Finn[/name] - the combination sounds more appealing. To my eyes, [name]Dylan[/name] [name]Fionn[/name] (which are the Welsh and Irish spellings) looks more aesthically pleasing than [name]Dillon[/name] [name]Finn[/name]. But that’s just my opinion for what it’s worth. Go figure!

I don’t think [name]Finn[/name] is anywhere near as popular in the real world as it is on Nameberry. I know tons of little kids and babies, and I only know one baby [name]Finn[/name]. If you love a name you shouldn’t let popularity keep you from using it. I think [name]Jayden[/name] will be the [name]Jason[/name] of this generation not [name]Finn[/name].

Popularity is always tough to tell, because individual communities are much, much different than national statistics. Your area may be full of Phinneases and Dashiells while another is bursting with Jaydens and Kaydens. And you can never guarantee that choosing an uncommon name will make your child the only one- I read an article where one classroom in [name]Britain[/name] had two girls named, ironically, [name]Unique[/name]. It all comes down to chance, so if you love [name]Finn[/name], name your kid [name]Finn[/name]. [name]Don[/name]'t pick a name you like less just because it’s less popular. But I did do some research and here are the boys names and ranks that could possibly be shortened to something sounding like [name]Finn[/name] (I didn’t count girls, though there are a few):
233 [name]Griffin[/name]
258 [name]Quinn[/name]
343 [name]Finn[/name]
375 [name]Quentin[/name]
524 [name]Quincy[/name]
528 [name]Quinton[/name]
548 [name]Finnegan[/name]
722 [name]Finley[/name]
723 [name]Quintin[/name]
881 [name]Quinten[/name]
There are a lot of names, surely, but even the most popular name was only ranked 233, and most of them would be shortened to [name]Quinn[/name], not [name]Finn[/name]. Plus, there’s no way of knowing how many Griffins and Finleys actually do shorten their names- some parents probably use the whole thing. It’s not a tiny number, but it’s statistically pretty uncommon- [name]Griffin[/name], the most popular name on the list, was given to only .0734% of boys- that’s about 7 in 10000!

Its hard for me to say if you will or will not regret naming your son [name]Finn[/name]. It depends on how much popularity bothers you. Popularity bothers me very much. I know at least 5 [name]Finn[/name]'s the name is too popular for me to use.

It is very popular in NZ.

[name]Finn[/name] is HUGELY popular in Vancouver, British [name]Columbia[/name]. Where I live (a sml island off of Vancouver) I know 20 Finns all under 10!

The name [name]Finn[/name] by itself, I dont think is that popular- altough with the sucess of the show “Glee” Im sure the name wil start to rise again (the main male character is named [name]Finn[/name] [name]Hudson[/name])- but because [name]FinLEY[/name] is unisex, and “[name]Finn[/name]” is often Finleys nn, it is pretty popular ij that way… Its a great name though, so if you love it, go for it. Personally, I dont know any Finns or Finleys, I just know a friend of a friend who has a son, Williem [name]Finley[/name]. I also know a [name]Baldwin[/name] brother, a Big Brother star, and [name]Lisa[/name] [name]Marie[/name] [name]Presley[/name] all have daughters named [name]Finley[/name] (all under the age of 2)