Finnish name Taimi

I came across the name Taimi and love the meaning as well as how suited it is as a name to honor my late grandmother, who went by [name_f]Tammie[/name_f]. However, I have absolutely no ties to Finland, so I think it would be weird if I used it. I’d be more likely to keep it as a middle name, but I still wonder if it is weird or inappropriate to use given my lack of any connection to the place or language the name comes from.

I’m interested to get people’s thoughts, especially on the chance a Finnish person is around and has opinions.

1 Like

@Luminen perhaps you could lend a hand here? :orange_heart:

3 Likes

I’m Finnish and I don’t find someone with no links to Finland using Taimi inappropriate or offensive, but I might have a bit of a surprised reaction to it to be honest! I’d assume there was some link to Finland, either via family or just enjoying the language/culture, because otherwise it seems quite random. But if you feel a connection to it because it makes you think of your grandmother and you appreciate the meaning, it doesn’t seem too weird to me, especially as a middle!

(What would bother me is someone mispronouncing it and still claiming that it’s a Finnish name, so as long as you’re saying TIE-me and not TAY-me. TIE-me means sapling in Finnish, TAY-me does not. :slightly_smiling_face:)

5 Likes

No, it wouldn’t be weird, you can use it if you want to. People use all kinds of names, [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] and [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] are [name_u]French[/name_u], [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] is [name_m]German[/name_m]. We just got used to them more whereas Taimi is uncommon. If you don’t want to it’s fine, but you really absolutely could!

I don’t know if you are aware of this, but I know a Finnish Taimi and it’s pronounced ty-mee. So it always reminds me of “time” and “being on time”, like it should be an adjective “I was super time-y today” (as in “on time”). So it doesn’t work for me personally but I think it can be cute on someone else.

I love [name_f]Suvi[/name_f] and [name_f]Lumi[/name_f] (both Finnish names).

2 Likes

@Luminen Thank you! I think I have been pronouncing it right or close to it, though I imagine I still have an accent. I don’t really have someone to listen and verify, but I am basing off of the Finnish phonemes and a pronunciation video. The video does imply I should be separating the first two vowel sounds a little bit rather than totally blending them - TAH-EE-mee is the best way I can think of to write it, but I would happily correct to TIE-mee

I get how it seems random - I only found it through looking for names with my grandmother in mind. I do happen to also like a number of Finnish names, but my knowledge of the language and of the culture are both pretty limited. Maybe it’s a sign to take some time to learn more. :slight_smile:

@Mayblossom That makes sense. Thank you for the information on how the person you know pronounces it. That fits what I expected. I also agree on [name_f]Suvi[/name_f] and [name_f]Lumi[/name_f]!

1 Like

Sounds to me like you are doing more than enough to try to get the pronunciation right and honestly wouldn’t worry about it too much (we will all always have our own accent :heart:), but I’d be happy to record myself saying Taimi and share it here when I get a chance, probably later today! Also, I think coming across it when looking for names to honour your grandmother makes for a sweet story. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: Here’s me saying Taimi

3 Likes

Totally fine! :blush: I knew an elderly lady Taimi who had two angry dogs and a small water fountain in her little garden and it had a green plastic frog inside :smile: Taimi translates ‘plant’y :potted_plant:’ in my language.

1 Like

Oh, thank you so much!

And @Parfait_de_Roses that’s a fun story! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you speak Estonian?

1 Like