First and Last Names with the same sound???

My last name ends in -er and sounds like Kutcher. I love the names:

[name]River[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]
[name]Piper[/name]
and [name]Xander[/name]

[name]Do[/name] you think it sounds weird to have the first and last name have a similar ending?

I personally think that [name]Piper[/name] Kutcher is too “er” heavy, but if it doesn’t bother you, that’s what matters. :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

I agree with [name]Jill[/name], they just don’t create a very good flow in my opinion. You could use it as a mn perhaps? Actually it would have to be a sandwiched mn, for example avery [name]PIPER[/name] grace KUTCHER or drake [name]XANDER[/name] sean KUTCHER. Know what I mean?

[name]Hope[/name] that was helpful:) Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I think it depends a lot on the specific combination, some -er names might work. I think for the most part it gets a bit too rhymy when the -er fn is the same amount of syllables as the -er last name.

For example (not suggestions obviously!):

[name]Jennifer[/name] Kutcher
[name]Christopher[/name] Kutcher

rhyme less noticeably than the 2 syllable fn’s.

I agree that it depends on the -er name. For instance, my Dad’s name is [name]Christopher[/name], but I never noticed until recently (go figure) that it rhymes with our last name Sherrer. Maybe because [name]Christopher[/name] is so “solid” it doesn’t sound sing-songy.

After reading everyone’s posts, I think the real issue is the number of syllables. If your last name is two syllables and ends in an “er” and the first name is two syllables and ends in an “er” like [name]River[/name] Kutcher… it may be too sing songy. But a longer first name ending in “er” like [name]Christopher[/name] Kutcher is not an issue. You see?

Genius! I should’ve grown up to be observant…

I love the idea of using a second middle name to offset the first an last name having the same sound. I agree that a first name with 3 syllables sounds better, unfortunately the names I love are all 2 syllables. Go figure :slight_smile:

The main thing about names that end in -er sound, they sound like a job title, even if they aren’t. Names like [name]Jennifer[/name] or [name]Christopher[/name] do not sound like a job title, while [name]Sawyer[/name] is, and [name]River[/name] remains similar to the concept, and it’s overall kind of unusual for a first name to end with -er, but quite popular for last names - and most of them are related to a career or some action in their language, even if we don’t know what that is.

When you combine the names they sound like a full phrase, ‘DOer DOer,’ where ‘[name]DO[/name]’ is the first part of the name, whatever it is. [name]Arthur[/name] [name]Miller[/name] doesn’t sound too bad. According to this, Arthur Miller - Wikipedia
his full name was [name]Arthur[/name] [name]Asher[/name] [name]Miller[/name]. I think it sounds ok. If your last name rhymes with Kutcher and starts with a B… I’d stay away from definite word names entirely so as not to sound like the first word is acted upon, and professional titles in general, like [name]Cooper[/name] [name]Baker[/name] - sounds versatile! My last name ends with -er, but it doesn’t sound like anything familiar, so I think [name]Sawyer[/name] would be ok, not terrific. Nobody was shy about using the name [name]Robert[/name] with it, or [name]Lester[/name], in fact. [name]Robert[/name] doesn’t end with -er, but almost, depends on how you say it. Nothing there that sounds too bad. So I would say it depends on if your last name sounds like Kutcher in a way that it is distinct from a word we would recognize in English - a person who performs an action, etc. The less you can recognize the name as a word in English (even if it does rhyme, it’s not the same), the better a first name will sound that repeats the -er syllable.

I don’t think there is the same issue if your name ended in -en. Like [name]Ethan[/name] [name]Allen[/name] or [name]Ellen[/name] Barkin (just off the top of my head). Those names sound a lot better. While one may not help a last name like “Barkin” sound other than “barking,” as if the title of a painting, it’s still not too bad with [name]Ellen[/name] and would have the same issue with any first name, whether or not it half-rhymed.

Not really one who is so uptight about “flow.” All of these examples sound fine to me, and I don’t find it necessary to avoid names that rhyme a little or have the same number of syllables. Keep in mind if you put the name you like in the middle, and they go by it, it’s effectively their first name as they are called - they will hear [name]River[/name]/[name]Piper[/name]/[name]Xander[/name]/[name]Sawyer[/name] Kutcher every day. I don’t see the point of giving them 2 middle names and a different first name, so you never really see or hear the name you like most, but it’s there. It’s a compromise. There’s probably nothing wrong with using it in the first anyway. I don’t know that I have enough information to decide whether it sounds ok (a little sing-songy) or not (more definitely like a phrase).