First baby girl - suggestions wanted!

[name]Hi[/name] there,

This is the first time I’ve posted, although I’ve been obsessed for some time now!!

My partner and I have recently discovered that we are expecting a lovely girl (our first) in a couple of months, and we really need some help with names! Her surname will be [name]Moody[/name], and some of our favorites are below. Would love to hear opinions on these, including ranking, flow with surname, and any middle name suggestions you have!! [name]Feel[/name] free to be honest. We are drawn to strong names with a hint of offbeat, while still lovely, recognizable and easy enough to spell.

Thanks so much. We really need some help in narrowing down…!

[name]Scarlet[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Remi[/name]
[name]Annie[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Hanna[/name]
[name]Arlo[/name] (i wanted this for a boy badly, but alas - its a girl! Still a possibility??)
[name]Hazel[/name]
Alice

Some middle names I’d be keen to use if they worked are below, but we are very open to suggestions!!

[name]Meg[/name]
[name]Wren[/name]
[name]Kate[/name]
[name]James[/name] (to honor my dear Dad)

Congratulations!

[name]Scarlet[/name] - this is too wordy for me with your last name, for me. Plus I think [name]Scarlett[/name] O’[name]Hara[/name] was a “moody” character…a little too much!
[name]Imogen[/name] - love this and like the repeated m with your last name! Great rhythm, 3-1!
[name]Remi[/name] - This name is not my style, but it sounds nice enough with your last name and is a fine pick. It is a little rhymey with your last name. I also wonder if people would assume it was a nickname.
[name]Annie[/name] - Please consider [name]Anne[/name] or [name]Anna[/name] nn [name]Annie[/name]. It’s rhymey with your surname, and many people will assume she’s an [name]Anne[/name] or [name]Anna[/name] anyway.
[name]Rose[/name] - While it’s a lot of word with your last name, I think it’s such a classic that it works better than [name]Scarlet[/name]. Great flow! And love the name.
[name]Hanna[/name] - Please consider [name]Hannah[/name]. [name]Hanna[/name] is setting her up for a life of misspelling. I would like [name]Hannah[/name] nn [name]Annie[/name] fine.
[name]Arlo[/name] - I’d save this for a boy, personally. Your taste isn’t uni/boyish enough otherwise I think to make me think you reallly want this. You could consider [name]Harlow[/name] or [name]Marlo/name(e).
[name]Hazel[/name] -works OK, is wordy with your last name - [name]Rose[/name] works the best of the word names, but this is OK and a nice name.
[name]Alice[/name] - love it! Great with last name.

Some middle names I’d be keen to use if they worked are below, but we are very open to suggestions!!

[name]Meg[/name] - very nicknamey, but OK in the middle. Would you consider [name]Margaret[/name]?
[name]Wren[/name] - word-y, but not too much so. Could work.
[name]Kate[/name] - nice enough, a bit expected, but fine. [name]Katherine[/name]?
[name]James[/name] (to honor my dear Dad) - I love this as a middle for girls, and the connection to your dad, as long as you wouldn’t prefer to save it for a boy.

My favorites for you are:
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Kate[/name] [name]Moody[/name] (3-1-2 rhythm, love how expected [name]Kate[/name] balances out unusual [name]Imogen[/name]. [name]Imogen[/name] [name]James[/name] could work OK.)
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Wren[/name] [name]Moody[/name] (again, classic [name]Alice[/name] with modern [name]Wren[/name], very cool. [name]Alice[/name] [name]James[/name] would work pretty well too - AJ).
Also really like [name]Anna[/name] [name]Wren[/name] and [name]Hannah[/name] [name]Wren[/name] or [name]Anna[/name] [name]James[/name] and [name]Hannah[/name] [name]James[/name].
I also love [name]Rose[/name] for you but I don’t think the flow is great with your short middles.
[name]Rose[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] or [name]Rose[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] would be awesome.
[name]Rosemary[/name] is a little wordy/rhymey with last name but it’s OK, and you could use [name]Romy[/name], close to [name]Remi[/name], or maybe even [name]Remi[/name]. [name]Rosemary[/name] [name]James[/name] would be cool.
With [name]Hazel[/name], I’m digging all of the middles except [name]Wren[/name]…

Good luck!

[name]Scarlet[/name] - I like this but I think I prefer it with the extra t. Maybe becoming a bit too popular and there aren’t many nickname options.
[name]Imogen[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] this. [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Moody[/name] is adorable.
[name]Remi[/name] - I really like this but not sure about it with your last name.
[name]Annie[/name] - Seems a bit dull in comparison to some of your other choices, but it’s cute. Again, not sure with the last name.
[name]Rose[/name] - Pretty but not as spirited as [name]Imogen[/name] or [name]Scarlett[/name].
[name]Hanna[/name] - Yeah, it’s ok. Prefer the traditional spelling, [name]Hannah[/name].
[name]Arlo[/name] (i wanted this for a boy badly, but alas - its a girl! Still a possibility??) - possibly, but to my ears, too boyish
[name]Hazel[/name] - [name]Lovely[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] - A classic and a bit more interesting to me than [name]Annie[/name]/[name]Hanna[/name]

My favorites (all of which are just fantastic, I think!):

[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Kate[/name] [name]Moody[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Wren[/name] [name]Moody[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]James[/name] [name]Moody[/name]

My Favourite Combos:
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Wren[/name] [name]Moody[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Alice[/name] [name]Moody[/name]

I do like some of your other suggestions but they do seem a bit of a muddle to say with your last name but some lovely ideas.

Thank you!! This is so helpful. Please keep advice coming and [name]Feel[/name] [name]Free[/name] to suggest any names that you think might suit our naming style and that suit the surname.

‘Spirited’ is just the word I was after allyphilly!

Thanks again… It’s amazing what a fresh set of eyes can do… Please continue :slight_smile:

Some others to add to the suggestion pile:
Penny (Like it. But too rhyme-y and nicknamey?)
India (although the father doesn’t dig it as a fn)
Scout

You’ve got some nice names on your list! I think the ones that go best with your last name are [name]Rose[/name], [name]Hanna/name, [name]Hazel[/name], and [name]Alice[/name].
Other names you might like:
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Laurel[/name]

Ooh, just saw your edit and here are some combos I like:
Hazel India Moody
Alice Scout Moody
Georgia Scout Moody
Georgia Pearl Moody
Laurel Kate Moody

[name]Glad[/name] it’s helpful!
[name]Penny[/name] - not a fan really on its own, but [name]Penelope[/name] would work well (also rhymey but so long it matters less, and so many other nickname options) and [name]Penrose[/name] (if you’re bold enough) are nice!
[name]India[/name] - love it! Does your husband like [name]Lydia[/name] or [name]Indigo[/name]? Those have a similar feel to me.
[name]Scout[/name] - I like this much better as a nickname than as a name.

Here are a few more:
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Orla[/name]
[name]Magnolia[/name] (alliterative with your last name, but M is one of the letters I think this works better for).
[name]Marigold[/name]
[name]Magdalen[/name]/[name]Magdalene[/name]/[name]Magdalena[/name]
[name]Frances[/name] nn [name]Francie[/name]
[name]Agnes[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Simone[/name]

I like:

[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Annie[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]James[/name] is my favorite combo. It’s sweet, meaningful, and goes well with your surname.
My other suggestions to try are [name]Colette[/name], [name]Lorelei[/name], [name]Ramona[/name], and [name]Mabel[/name].

[name]Scarlet[/name] [name]Wren[/name] - gorgeous, love it!
[name]Imogen[/name] - this isn’t super familiar to me, but it’s okay, I don’t necessarily see it as strong though
[name]Remi[/name] - this feels very nicknamey to me. What about Remilly or Remina or Remona
[name]Annie[/name] - nice solid name. I love [name]Annie[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Rose[/name] - not particularly strong but a lovely name, doesn’t really flow well with any of your middles, [name]Rose[/name] [name]Hanna[/name]?
[name]Hanna[/name] - I really like this name, also [name]Hana[/name]. [name]Hana[/name] [name]James[/name] or [name]Hana[/name] [name]Kate[/name] are nice.
[name]Arlo[/name] - maybe, what about [name]Arla[/name]? or [name]Arlie[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] - meh, okay, what about [name]Zelah[/name]?
[name]Alice[/name] - always lovely, [name]Alice[/name] [name]Wren[/name] is great.

Some combos I like from your choices:

[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Alice[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Alice[/name] [name]Wren[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Scarlet[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Kathryn[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Scarlet[/name] [name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Scarlet[/name] [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Scarlet[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Scarlet[/name] [name]James[/name] [name]Kathryn[/name]/[name]Kate[/name]
[name]Scarlet[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Wren[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Scarlet[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Scarlet[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Wren[/name] [name]Scarlet[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Hanna[/name] [name]Scarlet[/name]
[name]Hanna[/name] [name]Scarlet[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Hanna[/name] [name]Scarlet[/name] [name]Kathryn[/name]
[name]Hanna[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Hanna[/name]-[name]Kate[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Alice[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Alice[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]James[/name]

[name]Scarlet[/name] Gorgeous. Very nice flow with surname. I like [name]Scarlet[/name] [name]James[/name] or [name]Scarlet[/name] [name]Meg[/name]- [name]Wren[/name] doesnt work imo cause I picture a red bird right away! [name]Scarlet[/name]'s greatest flaw is it’s lack of nickname…Scar or Scarlie or [name]Lettie[/name]?
[name]Imogen[/name] Pretty, with a similar soft feeling to [name]Scarlet[/name]. I like it a bit less though.
[name]Remi[/name] nms. [name]Ramona[/name] nn [name]Romi[/name] is pretty though.
[name]Annie[/name] [name]Love[/name] it as a petname to [name]Anne[/name], [name]Antonia[/name], [name]Annette[/name]…but not stand alone
[name]Rose[/name] . Also [name]Annie[/name] + [name]Moody[/name] is too same sounding for me.
[name]Hanna[/name] cute, nms.
[name]Arlo[/name]- people use names like this ([name]Harlow[/name], [name]Marlo[/name]) on girls. I prefer [name]Margo[/name]. Maybe [name]Arlene[/name] [name]Margo[/name] nn [name]Arlo[/name]? I just don’t think [name]Arlo[/name] is as sophisticated as some of your other name ideas. I don’t think it will age as well or sound as obviously gendered on paper as [name]Scarlet[/name] would.
[name]Hazel[/name]- cute but nms
[name]Alice[/name]- very pretty and sounds great with surname. [name]Alice[/name] [name]Wren[/name] or [name]Alice[/name] [name]James[/name] or [name]Alice[/name] [name]Meg[/name] all work ([name]Meg[/name] less so, but it’s cute).

I love [name]Scarlet[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Imogen[/name] & most any [name]Annie[/name] full name choice. I think all of your mn choices work besides wordname/colorname + [name]Wren[/name].

[name]Scarlet[/name] - I prefer it with two ts better as well. I think [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]James[/name] [name]Moody[/name] is very cute.
[name]Imogen[/name] - love the name not a fan of iMOgen [name]MOody[/name] (the doubling of the mo sound somehow emphasizes the moodiness to me).
[name]Remi[/name] - nms also not a huge fan of the i sound at the end of [name]Remi[/name] and [name]Moody[/name].
[name]Annie[/name] - random thought but [name]Annie[/name] and [name]Moody[/name] have the same letter system [name]Annie[/name] 12234 [name]Moody[/name] is 12234. I don’t know if I think that’s super cool or uber weird. Probably totally off the rails.
[name]Rose[/name] - love [name]Rose[/name].
[name]Hanna[/name] - it’s the backwards of [name]Annie[/name]/[name]Moody[/name] numbering thing - [name]Adore[/name] [name]Hannah[/name] (with the h) probably because it’s a cool palindrome and a beautiful name.
[name]Arlo[/name] - I’d say save it for a boy.
[name]Hazel[/name] - I can’t help thinking [name]Hazel[/name] Nut - Nutty - [name]Moody[/name].
[name]Alice[/name] - [name]Alice[/name] in Wonderland.
[name]Penny[/name] - I prefer [name]Penelope[/name] nn [name]Penny[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name] [name]James[/name] [name]Moody[/name] sound really nice.
[name]India[/name] - not a fan of naming children after countries of continents (somehow I’m okay with cities just not a fan of [name]Africa[/name], [name]Asia[/name], [name]India[/name] or whatever else there is).
[name]Scout[/name] - I think this is to mas like [name]Arlo[/name] and would be better saved for a boy.

Thank you all! [name]Love[/name] the suggestions so far.

My favourite combos that you’ve come up with include:

[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]James[/name] [name]Moody[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Kate[/name] [name]Moody[/name] (possible nn [name]Meg[/name]? Would this work? [name]Meg[/name] has a special meaning for me) What do you think?
[name]Alice[/name] _____ [name]Moody[/name]

My partner has looked and won’t hear either of [name]India[/name] or [name]Wren[/name], so it looks like they’re out. Bummer.
I personally [name]LOVE[/name] the suggestion of [name]Orla[/name] (thank you!!), and [name]Maeve[/name] too, but not sure where to work either of them in??

Thanks so much for taking the time to help. Also, how do I post a poll? I can’t seem to find the link??

:slight_smile:

Thank you all! [name]Love[/name] the suggestions so far.

My favourite combos that you’ve come up with include:

[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]James[/name] [name]Moody[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Kate[/name] [name]Moody[/name] (possible nn [name]Meg[/name]? Would this work? [name]Meg[/name] has a special meaning for me) What do you think?
[name]Alice[/name] _____ [name]Moody[/name]

My partner has looked and won’t hear either of [name]India[/name] or [name]Wren[/name], so it looks like they’re out. Bummer.
I personally [name]LOVE[/name] the suggestion of [name]Orla[/name] (thank you!!), and [name]Maeve[/name] too, but not sure where to work either of them in??
Suggestions are so welcome! [name]Love[/name] hearing new ideas.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help. Also, how do I post a poll? I can’t seem to find the link, but would love to add these combos in a poll and see what the top two are! I think we may be betting closer…

:slight_smile:

I really, really like [name]Imogen[/name], and [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name] are also nice.

[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] would get my vote!

I will second
[name]Rose[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name] [name]Wren[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]India[/name] [name]Wren[/name]
[name]India[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]India[/name] [name]James[/name]

[name]Remi[/name] and [name]Arlo[/name] are traditionally boys names. I don’t think there’s any need to add that level of complication, since you have presented so many nice alternatives.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Imogen[/name], [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Alice[/name]. I’ve also liked [name]Remi[/name] for a girl, but I think I’d only use it as a nn. What about:

[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Kate[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]James[/name]

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Wren[/name]!