First Impressions of Archie?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone!

[name_u]Baby[/name_u] Boy is due in 2 weeks and we still don’t agree on a name! I posted a few weeks ago and got some good advice so I’m hoping you can help me out again :slight_smile:

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite name is [name_m]Grant[/name_m], but my husband is currently “only 50% on board” and I want to find a name that we both love wholeheartedly! One of our other frontrunners is [name_m]Archibald[/name_m], which has family significance for my husband. We would probably never call him [name_m]Archibald[/name_m] and always call him [name_m]Archie[/name_m] (I’m an [name_f]Edith[/name_f] who goes exclusively by Edie). [name_f]My[/name_f] question is for American and [name_u]Brit[/name_u] Berries: What are your first impressions of [name_m]Archie[/name_m]? [name_f]My[/name_f] worries are that 1) it’s too popular in the UK, where we live, and 2) that when I go home to the US the first reaction from family and friends (or anyone I encounter) would be “Oh, like [name_u]Harry[/name_u] and Meghan!”, which I know would drive me insane as this name has been near the top of our list for eight years.

Please let me know what you think! I’m still lobbying for [name_m]Grant[/name_m] but want to be prepared! :slight_smile: Thanks!!!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] first thought is [name_f]Megan[/name_f] and Harry….

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] first thought wasn’t [name_f]Megan[/name_f] and [name_u]Harry[/name_u], it was Riverdale :slight_smile: I like the name a lot!

I get this. [name_f]My[/name_f] sons name is [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u]. I get, “oh like the president?” all the time. I’m not even American and we are in Australia. It drives me insane.
If they don’t think I named my baby for [name_m]Abraham[/name_m], they assume I’m a car person, which I’m not.

You’re going to get associations like that no matter what you name your baby. I didn’t immediately think “Harry and Meghan” but it did give a British impression straight away, which is not bad at all considering you said that’s where you are.

[name_m]Archibald[/name_m] is a great name and ages well. You never know, once past young childhood he might prefer going by his full name. If you love it and it has meaning to you, definitely use it. [name_m]Archie[/name_m] is adorable!

I’d like to suggest [name_u]Archer[/name_u] though. You can still use [name_m]Archie[/name_m] and keep your “honour” name in there, but it’s shorter, easier maybe, and keeps the same syllables as [name_m]Archie[/name_m] so it would be easier to use both names.

1 Like

Yeah, like [name_u]Harry[/name_u] and Meghan… and it does sound very fancy to me as an American :joy:

I like [name_m]Archibald[/name_m] for the middle spot, sorry, it will definitely get the reaction you fear (i am American).
Other ideas:
[name_m]Graham[/name_m]
[name_u]Greyson[/name_u]
[name_m]Thatcher[/name_m]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_u]Dane[/name_u]
[name_u]Glen[/name_u]
[name_u]Arrow[/name_u]
[name_u]Tanner[/name_u]
[name_u]Nolan[/name_u]
[name_u]Curtis[/name_u]
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u]
[name_u]Dean[/name_u]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Samson[/name_m]
[name_u]Zephyr[/name_u]
[name_m]Brant[/name_m]
[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]
[name_u]Bailey[/name_u]
[name_u]Adler[/name_u]

[name_m]Archie[/name_m] is fairly popular in the UK and I met several when i worked with young kids. It’s always struck me as a friendly name with a bit of mischief and charm. I do think people might associate it with [name_f]Meghan[/name_f] and [name_u]Harry[/name_u], especially in the US but I guess it just depends how much thag qould really irritate you

1 Like

[name_m]Archie[/name_m] reminds me of the character [name_m]Archie[/name_m] Andrews (From the Comics not Riverdale lol)

I don’t keep up with the royal family stuff, so that never occured to me! I had an uncle named Archibald, who exclusively went by Art! I think that is also a cool option.

Would you consider [name_u]Archer[/name_u] perhaps? It’s a different name but I think it can still honour [name_m]Archibald[/name_m] :slight_smile:

I’m in the US, and I think of Riverdale, but I also love Archie/Archibald! It feels like a clever, sociable, urbane kind of name.

I’m a teenager who isn’t from an English-speaking country and my first impression would be Riverdale so make that what you may

Too popular in this American’s opinion

1 Like

Thanks everyone! Lots of useful information! I really appreciate your insights!

I don’t think of any particular associations, just that [name_m]Archie[/name_m] sounds like a sweet kid who would like playing outside and jumping in puddles. In my mind, [name_m]Archie[/name_m] is the name of a fun, curious boy. I second the suggestion of [name_u]Archer[/name_u], though, because he may want something longer to go by when he’s older, but [name_m]Archibald[/name_m] might be a bit cumbersome or hard to live up to. And [name_u]Archer[/name_u] [name_m]Grant[/name_m] sounds great!

I really like [name_m]Archie[/name_m]! I think of the [name_m]Archie[/name_m] comics and the royal baby I suppose… but I don’t think of them with any real weight. I don’t have any investment, really, in either of those things. If I met a boy called [name_m]Archie[/name_m], I’d lose those associations really quickly.

I also just love the charm of [name_m]Archibald[/name_m]. That’s such a great name! Perfectly fusty and stuffy, and so so so sweet. Cuddly and warm. Absolutely familiar, but so underused! [name_m]Archie[/name_m] is the perfect nickname to add a little bit of modernity and kick without taking away from the vintage sparkle.

[name_u]Harry[/name_u] & [name_f]Meghan[/name_f] is not my initial thought as an American but I think if you were here visiting you’d definitely get asked that more than once. I would think about how much thay would bother you and how often it would occur.

Would [name_u]Grady[/name_u] appeal? [name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_u]Archer[/name_u]? [name_u]Grayson[/name_u]? [name_u]Corey[/name_u]?

I adore the name [name_m]Archie[/name_m]! It would have been high on my boy name list, but my husband is a redhead, and I worried a bit about [name_m]Archie[/name_m] comics (and this was before Riverdale). But I think it’s cute and fun, and I just picture a really cool guy. I’m also a big fan of [name_m]Archie[/name_m] Goodwin, from the [name_m]Nero[/name_m] [name_m]Wolfe[/name_m] novels.
I can see how it would be a bit worrisome of people making the ties to [name_u]Harry[/name_u] and [name_f]Meghan[/name_f], because that did put the name in the news, however I think it’s a great name and hope that it does start getting some more use.

I love the name [name_m]Archie[/name_m]! It does make me think of [name_u]Harry[/name_u] and [name_f]Meghan[/name_f], but I think many names will have some sort of association. It just depends how much it would bother you in the long run.

Unfortunately I instantly thought of [name_u]Harry[/name_u] and Megan’s son. I’m an American but I can only imagine you’d probably hear that reaction more often in the UK.

I love [name_m]Grant[/name_m]! I also love this name. Similar suggestions: [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u], [name_m]Graham[/name_m], [name_u]Grayson[/name_u], [name_u]Grady[/name_u].

Names like [name_m]Archie[/name_m]: [name_u]Archer[/name_u], [name_u]Arthur[/name_u], [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] “Alfie”, [name_m]Otis[/name_m], [name_u]Arlo[/name_u]