First name/Middle name flow......would this be a deal breaker for you?

See the results of this poll: Naming a child "ah Ah"

Respondents: 43 (This poll is closed)

• Flow isn’t everything, just pick what you love : 35 (81%)
  • The names blend together too much, find a new middle name: 8 (19%)

Honestly, the fact that you’re even considering it even though flow is so important to you makes me think that it may be worth going for. I definitely think that flow can be sacrificed if the names in the combo are otherwise perfect for whatever reason, particularly if it’s because one or both of the names is honoring or meaningful.

Flow isn’t a huge issue for me, so regardless, I would use it. I think something like [name]Ariana[/name] [name]Ashley[/name], for example, sounds fine. Sure, not perfect, but I honestly don’t think you would trip that much over saying that, or [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Annabel[/name], or [name]Milena[/name] [name]Amanda[/name], or whatever. If there’s significance, even more reason, imo. I wouldn’t doubt it for a second. :slight_smile:

You know, this is no longer a deal breaker for me. It used to be, but now I don’t necessarily find it to be an issue.

I think we should take a page of of European naming trends and just pick 2 (or 3 or 4) names we love regardless of how they “flow” together.

I do try to make sure my favorite names don’t blend together, but at the same time, I realize that in most cases it’s not really a big deal. I’m sensitive to the blending of the last sound/first sound or last letter/first letter because my name has it between my first and middle name, my husband’s name has it between his first and last, and my sister-in-law has it between her middle and last. I find the phenomenon annoying and would prefer to avoid it. That being said, I may end up deciding to go with it if we choose to use my husband’s first name as a child’s middle name, as it’s a name he shares with his father. The truth is, most people aren’t bothered by the blending. I often get compliments on my FN/MN combo, and no one’s ever said, “Yeah, it’s a nice combo…if only those r’s didn’t blend!”

I agree. Flow is nice to have but if it’s a little off it’s ok, especially if the names involved have meaning. Example, my bf’s last name ends in -er so normally I’d toss out any name ending in -er. However [name]Summer[/name] has special meaning to us so it’s a middle name.[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

Flow is a deal to me because I imagine using his or her full name when they do something wrong, for example: “[name]Luna[/name] [name]Madeline[/name] _____ you put that down right now” so for me if I can’t say it in a good stern voice without messing up, it doesn’t work for me.

[name]Johanna[/name] [name]Analeigh[/name] immediately came to mind, and while flow is important to me, I don’t see this getting in the way of that. I think the emphasis is on different parts of the name making each name distinguished. I cannot vote for either option.

I know this isn’t your name but it suited my needs for a guideline. :slight_smile:

I think you do have to consider the ending and starting sounds…it really should eliminate some options, if they’re too similar, blend into one another, or don’t flow…

Without an example it is hard to know for sure but I’d say if you love it; go for it!

First for me is significance and if I like the name. Secondly I’d look at how it flows together. Personally, our last name is much more of an issue and I worry more about how first and last name go together rather than first and middle(s) since that’s how they will be called 99% of the time.

I don’t think it’s a big issue for a name to end in the A sound and middle name to start with the A sound. Something like [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Amanda[/name] wouldn’t be that big a deal to me. Everyone says a 2-2-2 syllable count is a bad combination for a baby name, and my name is 2-2-2 AND my first and last name end (and start) with the same sound, and I get compliments all the time! Plus you won’t say the names together all that often.

What bothers me more personally is when the first name ends in a certain spelling and then the middle name starts with the same spelling. [name]AnnabEL[/name] [name]ELizabeth[/name], for example, or [name]ErIN[/name] [name]INgrid[/name]. [name]Just[/name] bothers me.