First name Sam going well with the last name?

We are thinking of naming our second boy [name]Samuel[/name] and call him [name]Sam[/name].
Our last name is Upham (read with “h” and “a” silent as in [name]Durham[/name]).
What is your opion about [name]Sam[/name] Upham - considering that both end with an “m”?

[name]Hi[/name]!

A little confused on the pronunciation guide. I say [name]Durham[/name] as DER-rum, so it Upham like UP-(h)um? [name]Sam[/name] Upham isn’t terrible, but it is much better than if Upham was pronounced UP-[name]HAM[/name], for sure! Maybe you could call him [name]Sammy[/name] Upham…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

One of the things that I find interesting about names is the individual way that names are pronounced all over the world and while I think that your way of saying Upham is of course the only way and my mind had no idea that it could be any other way than what you explained and yet in the U.S. the sound changes dramatically.

I like [name]Samuel[/name] Upham but [name]Sam[/name] Upham is a little short but I agree with lemon if he was [name]Sammy[/name] it would work.

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Charles[/name]? [name]Charles[/name] Upham nn [name]Charlie[/name] is perfect.

I think [name]Samuel[/name] Upham sounds really nice. [name]Sam[/name] Upham isn’t ideal but I don’t think it’s awful. Would you call him [name]Sam[/name] all the time or just sometimes? I’m just wondering how often he would use his nickname and his last name together.

As other have said, the flow with [name]Sam[/name] Upham is not ideal. [name]Samuel[/name] Upham is better since the double “-m” endings are eliminated. Also, [name]Sam[/name] Upham is very brief for a full name: a longer first name like [name]Abraham[/name] Upham, even with the “m” endings works better. Other ideas,
[name]Alfred[/name] Upham nn [name]Alfie[/name]
[name]Isaiah[/name] Upham
[name]Zachary[/name] Upham
[name]Joseph[/name] Upham
[name]Arthur[/name] Upham

Excellent suggestions. Our first son is named [name]Zachary[/name] Upham. We call him [name]Zac[/name].