Flora...

I’ve long loved this name, and this baby girl is due just before the spring, so it feels pretty perfect in that regard.

I’m just concerned it could feel a little safe/boring beside the sibling names ([name_f]Juno[/name_f] + [name_u]Kit[/name_u]), and a little too close to the uber-popular [name_f]Florence[/name_f] (we’re in the UK).

Any thoughts on this? What do you think of [name_f]Flora[/name_f]? Any other comments?

Thanks!

I love Flora! It’s been a fave of mine for a good decade (since living in the UK!). It would go so well with your others - same vibe but different ending which is nice. I see Flora as a name for a quietly confident, diligent and strikingly pretty girl who is into the antiquities.

Oh and I don’t see it as safe. It’s still a word name and somehow defiant in its way. Plus, it is the perfect Spring name!

Edit: other possibilities: Fleur, Dahlia, Lara, Bronte, Sylvie (bit Sylvie is popular?), Odeletta, Bluebell, Celia, Livia, Bonnie, Zadie, Skye or Meadow.

I wouldn’t say it’s too safe; in [name_f]England[/name_f], 2016, [name_f]Flora[/name_f] ranked #292 and [name_u]Kit[/name_u] ranked #300 so they’re definitely in the same range of familiarity - [name_f]Juno[/name_f] ranked a little higher though at#552. [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is a [name_m]Roman[/name_m] goddess name, like [name_f]Juno[/name_f], which ties the two together quite nicely considering they are a little more distant in popularity. I definitely second [name_f]Fleur[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] and [name_f]Celia[/name_f]. Adding [name_f]Ffion[/name_f], [name_u]Wren[/name_u], [name_f]Fearne[/name_f], [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], [name_f]Theia[/name_f] and [name_f]Lyra[/name_f].

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] would be absolutely lovely with [name_f]Juno[/name_f] and [name_u]Kit[/name_u]! I love the fact that she shares [name_f]Juno[/name_f]'s goddess heritage and [name_u]Kit[/name_u]'s classic British feel. To add to this [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is both beautiful and approachable, delicate and strong, and has a lovely meaning. I’ve always adored finding the first flowers at the beginning of spring, so I love this option for you!

Another possibility would be to use another springtime choice, such as [name_f]Primrose[/name_f], as a middle name - [name_f]Anouk[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] would be gorgeous.

Good luck!

Thank you all! I do love it, and I love [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] and [name_f]Fern[/name_f] from the suggested names too.

@kew I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Anouk[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] but I have run [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] by DH before and he’s not a fan. Maybe I should resuggest it and hope he’s had a change of heart…

I really like [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and it pairs well with [name_f]Juno[/name_f] and [name_u]Kit[/name_u]. Other suggestions

[name_f]Nova[/name_f]
[name_f]Abra[/name_f]
[name_u]Lennon[/name_u]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_u]Aspen[/name_u]
[name_u]Penny[/name_u]
[name_u]Auden[/name_u]
[name_u]Ever[/name_u]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Bea[/name_f]
[name_m]Bodhi[/name_m]
[name_f]Delia[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u]

I actually think [name_f]Flora[/name_f] pairs very well with [name_f]Juno[/name_f] and [name_u]Kit[/name_u]! [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_u]Kit[/name_u], and [name_f]Flora[/name_f] sound like the kinds of names you find on an impossibly perfect instagram account where the kids all wear organic cotton and there is a vintage filter on every photo. Or, you know, whatever your family looks like!

I am not British so my British [name_f]Flora[/name_f] connection is exclusively the GBBO contestant, but it is a positive reference to me at least. I really do think [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is bright and ageless and spring-y, and is a choice you really just can’t go wrong with.

I love [name_f]Flora[/name_f] with [name_f]Juno[/name_f] and [name_u]Kit[/name_u]! They definitely work well together.

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] is a great name and works really well with [name_f]Juno[/name_f] and [name_u]Kit[/name_u], so I’d use it! One of my favorite combos is [name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f].

I think it’s great!

Another option if you still aren’t sure would be [name_f]Lorena[/name_f]. It’s a little longer then your other kids names but it has the same vintage vibe as [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. [name_f]Juno[/name_f] , [name_u]Kit[/name_u] and [name_f]Lorena[/name_f] [name_f]Anouk[/name_f]

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] is one of my favorite names, a really lovely choice. I think [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_u]Kit[/name_u], and [name_f]Flora[/name_f] are perfect together!!

I really, really love [name_f]Flora[/name_f]! I much prefer it to [name_f]Florence[/name_f] personally. It sounds marvelous with your other kids’ names in my opinion!

I swear the names you circle back to are the same ones I keep revisiting! I really like [name_f]Flora[/name_f] but my OH keeps bringing up his association with butter, which is deeply irritating.

I think it’s a really pretty name but sometimes I wonder if it’s strong enough next to my daughter’s name (M@rgot, not dissimilar to [name_f]Juno[/name_f]!) - but in your case I think the goddess connection helps a lot.

Seconding what others have said, but I think it’s a great match for your family, as it has the [name_m]Roman[/name_m] roots like [name_f]Juno[/name_f] but vintage vibe like [name_u]Kit[/name_u]. I’m also American and the only one I know is the GBBO contestant haha. The only downside for me is the association with probiotics :confused:

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses! [name_f]Glad[/name_f] to see that I seem to be overthinking things; seeing the names written out together like that, I do actually really like them as a set.

@cece84 Haha! We do have similar tastes: [name_f]Anouk[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], [name_f]Tess[/name_f] and [name_f]Vita[/name_f] (love seeing someone else who likes this!) are all on my list too, and [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is gorgeous.

And yes to [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and butter… the association doesn’t bother me (I also love [name_f]Clover[/name_f]!), but I have heard a few “spreads easily” jokes (hmmm), which isn’t ideal. Apparently that used to be a tagline of theirs.

Sorry to be joining this one a bit late… I love [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and think it works very well with the siblings. A [name_f]Flora[/name_f] could be so many characters - it’s not fussy but clearly feminine, with elements of lightness, depth, strength, quirkiness, history and springtime! And so easy to spell and pronounce.

I get the concern about the closeness to and popularity of [name_f]Florence[/name_f]. Tough one… though I don’t think it would put me off [name_f]Flora[/name_f] if it came down to it. This may be a totally random thought… but if [name_f]Meghan[/name_f] has a girl I would think names such as [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_f]Anna[/name_f], or an Eleanor who goes by Nell, could be up for consideration. And whatever they choose (which of course is after your baby’s birth) will shoot up in popularity. Of course thinking like that will just do your head in and isn’t particularly helpful, except to say that I imagine [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_f]Anna[/name_f] are more likely to be on their lists than [name_f]Anouk[/name_f], [name_f]Ines[/name_f] or [name_f]Ramona[/name_f].

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] feels seamlessly perfect with your other children. I see [name_f]Flora[/name_f] as being classic quirky, which is a similar vibe to how I view their names. [name_f]Flora[/name_f] feels artsy and magical. Perfect for a lively spring baby!

@araminty That is a very good point well made, thank you!