Flower names (Azalea, specifically!)

Hey guys,

Last post for a while (sorry for so many, again!). Thinking about flower names, since quite a few have ended up on my list, or bouncing on and off over time. In theory, I think of flower names as being kind of frilly and insubstantial and overly feminine as namesakes for a daughter who I want to raise as strong and independent and able to take on the world. However, something keeps drawing me back to them unintentionally! And I like the idea of nature names in general, and I do really like flowers, so maybe a flowery namesake isnā€™t a negative thing.

DH in particular really likes [name_f]Azalea[/name_f], and we both like the nickname [name_f]Zalie[/name_f] (ZAY-lee). Itā€™s not a common flower name, and the ā€œzā€ makes it seem zippy and spunky at least. What do you guys think about [name_f]Azalea[/name_f]?

Other flower names I like but am on the fence about:
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] ā€“ a lot more serious sounding than other floral names, with a long history of popular usage so it is definitely a classic in my eyes. Sometimes I think it sounds too harsh, though.
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] ā€“ not a flower itself, but certainly floral! I do really like [name_f]Flora[/name_f] but worry about the lack of gravity behind it as well as the association with bacteriaā€¦
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] ā€“ I love so many things about [name_f]Violet[/name_f], but I just canā€™t stop seeing/hearing ā€œviolentā€, which is so unfortunate because I truly think itā€™s a very lovely name.
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]/[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] ā€“ I really like [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosa[/name_f], and [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] is a really pretty way to get at all of those nicknames, but it seems a bit frilly for the rest of my list.
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f] ā€“ I love love [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] and so does my DH, but I just donā€™t think I could use it for a daughter since itā€™s so light and frilly. Maybe a middle!
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u] ā€“ more of a tree than a flower, and I think I prefer [name_f]Juno[/name_f], but [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] is a nice name too if not a little trendy.
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] ā€“ also not exactly a flower name, and sounds more substantial than many of the others. I like the idea of [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], although something about the way it looks with the ā€œvā€ and the ā€œyā€ throws me off a little, although thatā€™s probably overly nitpicky.
ILily/[name_f]Lila[/name_f] ā€“ I would probably consider these more if they werenā€™t so popular, but as is, I think theyā€™re out of the running for me.

What are your thoughts on flower names in general? Any that you like more than others? [name_m]Can[/name_m] a flower name still sound strong and powerful and kickass? And specifically, what do you think about [name_f]Azalea[/name_f]?

I love flower names! Keep in mind, a childā€™s name does not determine their character. If you raise your daughter to be strong and brave, then she probably will be, despite having a light, girly name. Azealia is absolutely gorgeous! Definitely less frilly due to the z. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite flower name is [name_f]Rose[/name_f], and I love [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] and [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] as middles!

[name_f]Azalea[/name_f] is great! Itā€™s funny, itā€™s as close as I would come to an honor name because they were some of my momā€™s favorite flowers :joy:. [name_f]Zalie[/name_f] is a GREAT nickname!!! As to your other names:
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]- I agree that this sometimes sounds sort of harsh. I would love to meet someone named [name_f]Iris[/name_f], though!
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]- yeah, if you want gravity, I donā€™t think [name_f]Flora[/name_f]ā€™s the way to go.
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]- I have a friend named [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and we do joke that her name is ā€œviolentā€, but it took us a while to notice that word in it.
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]/[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]- I actually think that [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] is strong and independent! If not, you could go with [name_f]Rosamond[/name_f] (super strong), [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] (I like to pronounce it ROSE-uh-lind), or [name_f]Rosaline[/name_f] (ROSE-uh-leen).
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]- definitely light, but it could be a cute nickname for really any flower name!
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]- ehhh, Iā€™m neutral
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]- I donā€™t really like this, though I like the idea of it, like you said.
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]/[name_f]Lila[/name_f]- I donā€™t like [name_f]Lila[/name_f], but [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is pretty. It is quite popular, though.

Other ideas: [name_f]Aster[/name_f] (someone just made a thread about this!) I love [name_f]Aster[/name_f], and [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] could be a nickname for it!; [name_f]Calluna[/name_f] (I actually had no idea this was a type of flower until I was browsing on Farrow and Ball! I loooooooooooove this name!)

I think that flower names can totally sound strong. [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] just seems like a powerful name!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I love flower names. They can most certainly be bold & kickass. Especially if it goes w/a bold kickass personality. [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] is as sweet as can be, but I can still picture it on a feisty, spunky, quick witted leader type person no problem.

As for [name_f]Azalea[/name_f], itā€™s fantastic! Itā€™s on my mn list, because I want an ā€˜Aā€™ name to honor family members. Itā€™s certainly different, but not super out there. It has a pretty sound that sounds like a name as opposed to jut a flower, you know? [name_m]Even[/name_m] though itā€™s not commonly used, it doesnā€™t seem like trying too hard.

Here are my thoughts on the others-

[name_f]Iris[/name_f] ā€“Iā€™m really glad that Iā€™m not the only one who thinks that this sounds harsh. Everyone seems to love it, but I just canā€™t get into it. It just seems too serious & the sound isnā€™t all that pleasant to me. Itā€™s also getting a bit more common.

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] ā€“ [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is a kind of bacteria? I didnā€™t realize that, so maybe most people wonā€™t. [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is beautiful! Itā€™s smart & elegant. Simple yet some how still fairly unique. Iā€™m surprised that it hasnā€™t gotten more popular, honestly.

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] ā€“ I hear ya. It is close to violent. Itā€™s kind of one of those names that I love on paper (literally), & the imagery, and the old fashioned-ness, but not the out loud sound as much. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is getting really really popular too if that is something that bothers you.

[name_f]Rose[/name_f]/[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] ā€“ [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] is frilly, but itā€™s so sweet! I think that I may just like frilly names. [name_m]Just[/name_m] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is more sophisticated though. Or maybe [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]? Thatā€™s really unique & bolder sounding.

[name_f]Daisy[/name_f] ā€“ It is light & frilly. I personally love it. Itā€™s on my short list, to honor my late dad, [name_m]David[/name_m]. I just canā€™t picture ever meeting a [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] who isnā€™t just delightful, you know? To be fair, the only [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] I know is a [name_m]Basset[/name_m] Hound, who is completely delightful. :grin: Iā€™ve thought that this would be cute as a nn for [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] or [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] to make it a little more substantial.

[name_u]Juniper[/name_u] ā€“ It is kind of trendy, but not that popularā€¦yet. It could rise in the next few years. Itā€™s a super cool name though. I personally like [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] nn [name_f]Juno[/name_f]. Then you get both.

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] ā€“ This one is kind of cute, but itā€™s not my favorite. I like the idea of it more than the actual name. It kind of reminds me of ā€˜I.V.ā€™ like what you get at the hospital.

[name_f]Lily[/name_f]/[name_f]Lila[/name_f] ā€“I kind of like [name_f]Lila[/name_f], but I love [name_f]Lily[/name_f]! It is way popular though, but so super sweet.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_f]Azalea[/name_f] nn [name_f]Zaylie[/name_f] is so funky and cool! I like it a lot :slight_smile:

[name_u]Love[/name_u] these answers!!

@may.rose ā€“ Yes, that is definitely true. I guess I feel particularly strongly about the name aspect because our son will be given a family name that has been passed down for generations, and I donā€™t want to feel like Iā€™m giving the male child a name with history and gravity, while giving the female child a frilly, flouncy, light name. I want it to feel fair and thoughtful, but I donā€™t have any female names to pass down to our daughter, so choosing a name with strength and significance and substance to me is the next best thing. Does that make sense? I appreciate your perspective!! I canā€™t get behind [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] b/c Iā€™m a big HP fan and sheā€™s not a great character, but I do love [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], I forgot to mention that in my post! Such a lovely bright name!

@dogs_books ā€“ Thanks so much!!! So sweet that it would be a good honor name for your mom!! Iā€™m really glad that [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] seems strong to you, my DH is in love with it and itā€™s growing on me. I definitely agree with your thoughts on all the rest of the names. [name_f]Rosamond[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosaline[/name_f] are certainly strong names, but Iā€™m unfortunately not a huge fan, especially of [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] pronounced like ROZZ-uh-lind. I so badly wish I could get behind [name_f]Aster[/name_f] but I just canā€™t make myself love it! I donā€™t know why!! [name_f]Calluna[/name_f] is a new one for me, Iā€™ll have to think about that one!

@MichelleM ā€“ [name_f]Flora[/name_f] isnā€™t a type of bacteria, it refers to bacterial growth in general (example being ā€œgut floraā€, referring to all the bacteria living in the intestines). Iā€™m in medicine so itā€™s definitely a present association for me, but good to know that itā€™s not for everyone! I agree with your thoughts on all the rest. [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] does seem so delightful, but yes definitely light.

@Greyblue ā€“ Iā€™m glad you like it! I do too!

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] a lot!

[name_f]Iris[/name_f]- I like [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. It is a little more serious, but itā€™s grounded, down to earth, yet also lovely and girly.

[name_f]Flora[/name_f]- Iā€™m a [name_f]Flora[/name_f] fan, so I donā€™t really have anything negative to say about it. I donā€™t think anyone would think of bacteria. If youā€™re worried about it being too short, it could definitely be short for [name_f]Florence[/name_f].

[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]- It does sound frilly compared to the rest of your list, but I donā€™t think thatā€™s a bad thing. I am really partial to [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], though and it does have great nickname potential.

[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]- [name_u]Love[/name_u] this!

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]- Ok, Iā€™m probably not being very helpful because Iā€™ve loved every name on your list, and this is no exception. I agree that it is substantial despite its length. I wouldnā€™t worry about the ā€œvā€ and ā€œyā€ but [name_f]Ivie[/name_f] has the same sound even if its spelling is a little different.

[name_f]Lily[/name_f]/[name_f]Lila[/name_f]- I used to like these names, but I hear them, and every possible spelling variation sooo much.

[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]- Iā€™ve never like this name. It sounds like it will be dated very fast. I like [name_u]June[/name_u] and [name_f]Juno[/name_f] more.

I think flower names can definitely be strong. After all, I am a strong believer that the wearer defines the name much more than the name defines the wearer. Plus, most flower names have great nn potential.

A few more ideas I like (You probably will find some of these a little too frilly, but just ideas):
[name_f]Lilac[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_f]Wisteria[/name_f]
[name_f]Ida[/name_f] (I know this isnā€™t a flower name, but it sounds similar to [name_f]Ivy[/name_f])
[name_f]Delphinium[/name_f] (or [name_f]Delphine[/name_f])
[name_f]Maple[/name_f]
[name_u]Leaf[/name_u]
[name_u]Snow[/name_u]
[name_f]Posy[/name_f]
[name_f]Petunia[/name_f]
[name_f]Pansy[/name_f] (or [name_f]Tansy[/name_f])
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosemarie[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]

I love the names on your list. I do, however, have 2 standouts. [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] ([name_f]Zalie[/name_f]) and [name_u]Juniper[/name_u]/[name_f]Juno[/name_f] are excellent. Unless you have a mn already selected, the names [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] [name_f]Juno[/name_f] or [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] were both front and center in my mind when I started reading through your post.

@IrinaNicolaStrong ā€“ This is very thoughtful and helpful!! I do like [name_f]Ida[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], and I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] (itā€™s very high on my list, although I donā€™t think of it as a flower name so I left it off my post! But you totally hit my style on the head with that suggestion, [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is one of my top choices). I know someone named [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] and itā€™s really grown on me too! I also love [name_f]Daphne[/name_f].

@shells15 ā€” Ooooooh [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] [name_f]Juno[/name_f] is really lovely, I actually hadnā€™t put that combo together in my head. I really like that a lot! Thanks for that awesome suggestion!!

I feel reassured that [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] fits in well with what Iā€™m looking for and the other names on my list :slight_smile: Thanks everyone for your insight! I also added [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] and [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] to my ā€œmiddle nameā€ list, since I think theyā€™re lovely bright happy names.

1 Like

Youā€™re welcome. I canā€™t wait to see what else you come up with.

I like [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] in particular, but have you thought of using [name_f]Rosa[/name_f]? I think itā€™s a pretty spunky alternative to [name_f]Rose[/name_f]/[name_f]Rosie[/name_f]. I think of [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] [name_u]Diaz[/name_u] from [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u] 99 when I hear it and youā€™d never accuse her of being frilly or insubstantial! :joy:

1 Like

Or [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] [name_m]Parks[/name_m]!

1 Like