Floyd or Lloyd?

For some odd reason, I love both these names.

Can you imagine either or both of them [name_u]EVER[/name_u] becoming somewhat normalized for boys/men again? They were certainly popular earlier (1880’s and on).

Partly it is that they are fun to spell and say. Also I do love [name_m]FLoyd[/name_m] the [name_m]Barber[/name_m] on the [name_u]Andy[/name_u] [name_m]Griffith[/name_m] show!

[name_m]Both[/name_m] [name_m]Floyd[/name_m] and [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m] have a clunky cool charm to them. I think [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m] is more likely to be revived than [name_m]Floyd[/name_m], even if [name_m]Floyd[/name_m] does have the [name_f]Pink[/name_f] [name_m]Floyd[/name_m] association. If we ever see the interest in Irish/Celtic names expand to an interest in Welsh names, then I think we’ll start seeing both names again.

Welsh and Cornish and Scottish names, my favorites!

[name_m]Lloyd[/name_m], no, just because of the pronunciation difficulties ([name_m]Lloyd[/name_m] a family name for me, and it’s pronounced [name_m]CLOYD[/name_m], where the ‘c’ is hard but breathy and chokey at the same time!) and the sound of [name_m]Floyd[/name_m] is just not attractive to me (don’t know why [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m] has more appeal, but I am peculiar like that) - good luck anyway!

Hmm my brother-in-law is called [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m] and I’ve never liked it that much to be honest! But that might just be because it reminds me of him :wink:

[name_m]Floyd[/name_m] is a bit too strange for me, sounds very old and not particularly handsome.

My grandfather’s name is [name_m]Floyd[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] and he’s told me multiple times that he thinks its ugly. Lol! He was born in the 20’s and was the last of 7 children. He says she must have run out of ideas. :stuck_out_tongue:

I feel the same about [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m]. They just feel old and clunky.

I had a work colleague who was of Welsh heritage and he had a daughter. To honour a [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m], they chose Lloy of his little girl (no “d”). I like the female version much better than the male version. Of the two names, I think [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m] sounds less clunky than [name_m]Floyd[/name_m].

I prefer [name_m]Floyd[/name_m], just because the double l’s in front of [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m] look somewhat strange.

I actually like both [name_m]Floyd[/name_m] and [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m] for very different reasons.
[name_m]Floyd[/name_m] reminds me of [name_f]Pink[/name_f] [name_m]Floyd[/name_m] and while I always wonder if people who’d consider it are big into that scene I do really like the punk-rocky 80s retro vibe it carries. It’s strong, resilient and has character.

[name_m]Lloyd[/name_m] on the other hand is soft to me. Artistic in a painterly sort of way. It belongs to someone who is a gentle spirit and knows his own way in life.

Honestly though, in the US, I’m not sure I see either making a huge run for the top anytime soon.

I actually really like [name_m]Floyd[/name_m]. It has some personal meaning to me though. [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m] makes me think of the ultimate dorky/nerdy chemistry professor type guy. With the black rim square frame glasses and suspenders. And that’s not a bad thing, just totally where my mind goes. :slight_smile:

It’s funny that your vision of [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m] is a bit like mine, for me because I think of hysterically funny and nerdy silent star [name_m]Harold[/name_m] [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m] and of [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m]'s of [name_u]London[/name_u] combined.

I think [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m] is totally usable. I wouldn’t even blink if I saw a birth announcement for a little [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m]. I think it’s right in line with [name_m]Leopold[/name_m] or [name_u]Leland[/name_u] which are trending. [name_m]Floyd[/name_m] would be surprising, but clunky cool imo. I know a [name_m]Floyd[/name_m] in his 20s who is a [name_m]Jr[/name_m] and he goes by his unique/nature name middle. I think [name_m]Floyd[/name_m] The [name_m]Barber[/name_m], the [name_f]Nirvana[/name_f] song.

Oooh! I too love both names, and they are on our list! My dear husband being a big fan of [name_f]Pink[/name_f] [name_m]Floyd[/name_m]…(okay so we both are…)prefers [name_m]Floyd[/name_m]!
Sometimes, I lean towards [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m]…but mostly I too prefer [name_m]Floyd[/name_m]! I just love the way it sounds…and quirkiness of it!
We fancy several “Fl” names…
[name_m]Floyd[/name_m], [name_u]Flynn[/name_u], [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m], [name_m]Flynt[/name_m], [name_u]Flip[/name_u], [name_m]Fletch[/name_m] and [name_m]Flemming[/name_m]…

That is funny!