For a boy or girl?

So I have still been going back and forth on [name_f]Brynn[/name_f] [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Bria[/name_f] [name_f]Celeste[/name_f], having trouble deciding. So today I posted on a different site another poll. All of a sudden I heard that [name_f]Brynn[/name_f] was a boys name. I have NEVER heard this before (I am in the US). Did I miss something? Is it a cultural difference? I don’t typically like boys names on girls, but I have NEVER even imagined that [name_f]Brynn[/name_f] was for a boy. Maybe it is for a boy like [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] is for a boy (origin of name is male but at this point it has completely swung over to female?) thoughts??

Maybe they were thinking it is a “unique” spelling of [name_m]Brian[/name_m]?? [name_f]Brynn[/name_f] is a girls name to me!

I think (don’t quote me on this) that [name_u]Bryn[/name_u] is a male name in [name_m]Wales[/name_m], its place of origin. I think much like the name [name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u] it has been appropriated for girls in the United States, even though in its place of origin it is used either exclusively or mostly for boys.

According to Behind the Name, [name_u]Bryn[/name_u] is a Welsh boys name meaning “hill, mound”.

Thanks @violetgray - I think it is probably a cultural difference thing as well, but I wanted to check!

[name_f]Bria[/name_f] [name_f]Celeste[/name_f]!

Erm, yes. I love [name_u]Bryn[/name_u] (this spelling) on a boy–it originated as a Welsh boys’ name ([name_u]Bryn[/name_u] is considered the masculine spelling, I think; [name_f]Brynn[/name_f] is more unisex), and it’s still seen as completely masculine in [name_m]Wales[/name_m] (from my understanding, it seems like it’s seen as a macho name, even, not really unisex/feminine at all). Due to my Welsh ancestry, I’m quite partial to [name_u]Bryn[/name_u] on a boy, and I don’t like seeing it on girls, but it is becoming increasingly only a girls’ name here in the US. The only [name_u]Bryn/name_u I’ve known personally is a guy, so I tend to still find it masculine. :slight_smile: But it’s got enough usage on girls these days that I don’t think anyone would blink an eye at meeting a girl [name_f]Brynn[/name_f].

My friend’s daughter is named [name_f]Brynn[/name_f]. I can see it being used on a boy, but I think girl when I hear it. I like [name_f]Brynn[/name_f] best with [name_m]Jonah[/name_m], but I like the sound of [name_f]Bria[/name_f] better with [name_f]Celeste[/name_f].

Although I have met a boy [name_u]Bryn[/name_u], I have never met a boy [name_f]Brynn[/name_f]. [name_f]Brynn[/name_f] is a girl’s name, definitely.