Foreign Language Class Names

I saw this topic while browsing through reddit and thought I’d ask here. Did you choose a name when you took a foreign language class? If so what name did you choose?

For me it was:

Spanish - [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
Japanese - [name_f]Kana[/name_f]
[name_u]French[/name_u] - [name_f]Brigitte[/name_f] (French 1) and [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] (French 2)

Personally I found this fun, but curious if you liked the practice or not

4 Likes

As a namenerd, I loved doing this when I took Spanish! I was [name_f]Camila[/name_f] the first year and [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] the second. I considered [name_f]Pilar[/name_f], [name_u]Alma[/name_u], [name_f]Marisol[/name_f], and [name_f]Neva[/name_f], though! :mountain_snow:

3 Likes

I never took a foreign language class when I was in school

No :frowning:

I was [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] is [name_u]French[/name_u] class. The idea was fun but we never actually used the names after spending the entire first class making cute name signs.

1 Like

I don’t know other schools did this! I thought that it was a little weird. I took Spanish and my nickname was [name_f]Luz[/name_f]. We could choose a legit name or make one from Spanish words (like strong and bug)

1 Like

@sammaegre thats so weird! In my [name_u]French[/name_u] classes we were exclusively called our [name_u]French[/name_u] name choices to the point that I didn’t know what kids real names were, though some chose to use their real names

@Hufflepuff4 Yea! I think it was just a way to try to get you immersed in the culture, but I can see why some would find it a little weird. We had a list of names to choose from (probably just the most popular names from a decade prior or something)

2 Likes

It was a pretty small school and we all knew each other outside of class so it just never really stuck

In [name_u]French[/name_u] class, I chose [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f].

In Arabic, my teacher chose [name_f]Dania[/name_f] (not sure if that’s the correct transliteration of the Arabic) for me.

2 Likes

I chose [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] in my Spanish class. In [name_m]German[/name_m], I was [name_f]Judith[/name_f] which my teacher chose for me.

2 Likes

That makes sense, for my Spanish and Japanese class I was in middle school and had that point known the kids in my class for awhile, in high school it was all grade levels and to put it in perspective my graduating class alone was 700 kids and the other years were either that many or more

1 Like

I never got to choose a name! I took Mandarin Chinese classes, and my teacher called me by a transliteration of my given name.

7 years of spanish immersion and nope. that never was a thing for me.

[name_f]My[/name_f] name in Spanish and [name_f]English[/name_f] class was just my own name.

I took several language classes and in none of them was I assigned a different name. [name_u]Boo[/name_u]! I think it’s a fun idea though to get kids interested in the culture.

1 Like

Spanish 1: [name_f]Eva[/name_f]
[name_u]French[/name_u] 1: [name_f]Antoinette[/name_f]
Spanish 2: [name_f]Catalina[/name_f]

1 Like

I never did get to choose a name, but I met people with such interesting names in my language classes. I’ll list those:

From my [name_u]French[/name_u] classes…
[name_m]Philip[/name_m] (x2)
[name_f]Mathilde[/name_f]
[name_m]Marcus[/name_m]
[name_m]Guy[/name_m]
[name_f]Marthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Arlene[/name_f]
[name_m]Marcel[/name_m]
[name_u]Gay[/name_u]

From my Russian class…
[name_f]Anya[/name_f] / Аня
[name_m]Angus[/name_m] / Ангус
[name_f]Sonja[/name_f] / Соня
Gufran / Гуфран
[name_m]Angelo[/name_m] / Анжело

When I was in elementary school, I did have an assigned Spanish name, too. I was called [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] (ah-SAH-lee-ah) in class, which was just a name that sounded like my real name, but abided by the rules of the language! I loved it!

2 Likes

I chose the name [name_f]Céleste[/name_f] in my [name_u]French[/name_u] class in high school (partly because it was technically gender neutral). The other language class I took was ASL so that was a little different…

2 Likes

[name_f]Muriel[/name_f] in [name_u]French[/name_u]

2 Likes

I apologize if this is too OT, but I saw a news article awhile back where an anti-transgender policy was being contemplated and one of the proposed rules was that the parents would be notified and would have to approve of any name their child wants to go by in school if it’s different than what is on the official record (i.e. their legal name). Someone (who is presumably against the proposal) suggested that would apply to names like these used in foreign language classes as well (and your parents would have to “sign off” on the name you chose for such a class). ETA: Since pronouns are also covered in the same rule, that could also mean needing a consent form to go by that language’s pronouns!