Frances vs Florence

Which do you prefer? Impressions and thoughts would be welcome. Thank you!

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the elegance of [name_f]Florence[/name_f]

1 Like

I’ve always adored [name_f]Florence[/name_f]'s elegance, so that gets my vote!

1 Like

[name_f]Florence[/name_f]>[name_f]Frances[/name_f]. [name_f]Florence[/name_f] has a kind of elegance that I think [name_f]Frances[/name_f] lacks. [name_f]Imo[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] sounds like a classic, beautiful name while [name_f]Frances[/name_f] sounds like a grandma name (more dated and not in a good way). Another consideration is [name_u]Francis[/name_u]/[name_f]Frances[/name_f] is unisex while [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is not, if that matters to you. Another name you may like is [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] or [name_f]Freya[/name_f].

1 Like

Another vote for [name_f]Florence[/name_f]! It feels really fresh and on-trend without being overused right now. I also like [name_f]Frances[/name_f], but it does seem a little more expected. I am starting to prefer [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] to [name_f]Frances[/name_f].

1 Like

I personally do not love [name_f]Florence[/name_f]. I want to, but I can’t seem to. ([name_m]Just[/name_m] to be clear, I don’t hate [name_f]Florence[/name_f]. It’s certainly a fine name.) I much prefer [name_f]Frances[/name_f]. It has a soft sound yet a strong feel, and it’s unexpected but not weird. [name_f]Frances[/name_f] is definitely a classic worth bringing back. :slight_smile:

I prefer [name_f]Florence[/name_f]. It’s lighter, fresher, far more romantic, and has the lovely imagery of the Italian city, too. [name_f]Frances[/name_f] I do tend to find heavy and dated and just lacks the lustre that [name_f]Florence[/name_f] has.

1 Like

Definitely [name_f]Frances[/name_f]. I love the clunky, vintage sound it has. I also really like the potential nns it provides.
[name_f]Florence[/name_f] is a nice name, but I really cant get behind the flo sound.

I love [name_f]Frances[/name_f]! It’s one of my favorite older names, even if it’s a bit clunky. i’ve never really liked [name_f]Florence[/name_f], it seems too frilly for my taste and the “[name_f]Flo[/name_f]” at the beginning irks me in some way. But both are lovely names

I prefer [name_f]Florence[/name_f], but I do like [name_f]Frances[/name_f] nickname [name_u]Frankie[/name_u]. I actually don’t love any of the nicknames for [name_f]Florence[/name_f] though, which is why I’d never use it myself. Nevertheless, it’s a beautiful, elegant name.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I prefer [name_f]Frances[/name_f]. [name_f]Frances[/name_f] is smart, has a little no nonsense sass, but is still very kind hearted. It’s old fashioned, yet seems fresh & ready for a comeback. The nns [name_f]Franny[/name_f] & [name_f]Francie[/name_f] are super sweet too. [name_f]Franny[/name_f] is a little more homey whereas [name_f]Francie[/name_f] is a little more spunky.

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] is perfectly nice. I want to like it, but I just can’t personally get into it for some reason. It kind of reminds me of an old lady in a stale old lady smelling antique furniture filled house. I love the nn [name_f]Flora[/name_f], but you could just do [name_f]Flora[/name_f] on its own. [name_f]Flo[/name_f] is not super attractive in my opinion.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Frances[/name_f] is my favorite of the two. It’s sensitive and bookish. Definitely one of the tops on our list.

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] is actually our cat’s name (my SO named her that before we met!). I do love it but prefer it as a middle name I think - I worry about the nickname [name_f]Flo[/name_f]. [name_f]Florence[/name_f] Pugh has made me love it even more though!

I like both names but slightly prefer [name_f]Florence[/name_f]. I think it’s prettier and has better nicknames, [name_f]Flo[/name_f] and [name_f]Florrie[/name_f] are cute.

I think my vote would have to go to [name_f]Frances[/name_f] - I just [name_f]ADORE[/name_f] the nickname [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] on a little girl

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] is a beautiful, vintage choice, but I can’t get behind any of the intuitive nicknames - even [name_f]Flora[/name_f], which seems more like a standalone name to me.

Definitely [name_f]Frances[/name_f]! It’s classic but still feels distinct, whereas [name_f]Florence[/name_f] feels frilly without having much inherent personality. That said, both names are pretty and of course imageries are entirely different for different people!

I like [name_f]Florence[/name_f] more. [name_f]Frances[/name_f] is one of those names that I want to like, but I find it hard to get past the old lady association I have with it. I associate [name_f]Florence[/name_f] with [name_f]Florence[/name_f] Pugh and [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_m]Welch[/name_m] so it seems younger to me.

[name_f]Frances[/name_f] and [name_f]Florence[/name_f] are both gorgeous. [name_f]Frances[/name_f] feels a little more old fashioned, and [name_f]Florence[/name_f], while it has a very vintage feel, is more of a modern name. To me I like [name_f]Florence[/name_f] better because of the wide open nickname options, there’s [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Flo[/name_f] and [name_u]Ren[/name_u] without even getting very creative. [name_f]Frances[/name_f] is very nice, and I love [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] as nickname, but I don’t like [name_u]Fran[/name_u]/[name_u]Frannie[/name_u] so much and feel like that would be the more obvious nickname.

I vote for [name_f]Florence[/name_f]-classic and beautiful. Plus I love the city :slight_smile:

[name_f]Florence[/name_f]! I prefer it, it feels less outdated and old lady-like, as well as being more feminine. The nn Flossie is pretty cute and wearable.

Much much much prefer [name_f]Florence[/name_f]! I really wish I could get behind [name_f]Frances[/name_f], but I do not like it at all, nor do I like [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] or [name_u]Fran[/name_u] or [name_u]Frannie[/name_u] one bit. I don’t have much concrete reasoning for that preference, unfortunately. I do love [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_f]Flora[/name_f], they’re just so vintage and sweet and spunky sounding all at once.