Frank or Francis?

See the results of this poll: Frank or Francis as full name?

Respondents: 40 (This poll is closed)

• Frank : 16 (40%)
  • Francis: 24 (60%)

I will probably be seriously considering this very question if I’m ever pregnant again! It’s a family name for me.

If I had one, he would be [name]Frankie[/name] almost all the time & maybe [name]Frank[/name] as he got older. I think I would use [name]Francis[/name], but I think in this rare situation [name]Frank[/name] is more dignified & modern. In a way it’s a virtue name. It’s a word name. It’s very classic as well & vintage in a wholesome 50s way. I really don’t know which is best.

I find that [name]Francis[/name] flows better with most of the middles I like, but [name]Frank[/name] sounds better with my surname. Maybe starting to experiment with combos will help.

[name]Both[/name] are pretty solid. I also have the [name]John[/name]/[name]Jon[/name]/[name]Jonathan[/name] debate with myself!!

[name]Franklin[/name]?

I’m torn too. I think [name]Frank[/name] stands alone pretty well though, so if it’s your preference, I say do that.

[name]Francis[/name] feels more like it belongs in your sibset, whereas to me [name]Frank[/name] feels a little out of place. I think [name]Franklin[/name] would be the perfect go though if you like it :slight_smile:

[name]Frank[/name] has a tough guy feel to me while [name]Francis[/name] is a bit softer, though both are good names. I do agree that [name]Francis[/name] pairs with [name]Edmund[/name] a bit better. And I wouldn’t fret about teasing too much. I know a [name]Francis[/name] and he hasn’t really had any trouble in that area.
Personally I favor [name]Frank[/name] for it’s stronger sound, but using it for a nickname would also work well. :smiley:

[name]Francis[/name] with the nn [name]Frank[/name] is my preference. [name]Edmund[/name] and [name]Francis[/name] sound like “natural” brothers to me but I may be prejudiced because my mother has two brothers with the names. My uncles go by [name]Ed[/name] and [name]Frank[/name].

Think we’ve decided on [name]Francis[/name]! So in love with it right now, and definitely agree that it is a natural brother for [name]Edmund[/name] and fits better with the sibset as a whole. I also tried both out in combos as taz suggested, and [name]Francis[/name] goes better with our one-syllable family names. [name]Franklin[/name] is a little too surnamey for me. Thanks everyone!

I’ve known of [name]Francis[/name]’ who go by [name]Frank[/name], so technically you could use both :slight_smile:

[name]Francis[/name] gets my vote, I like the name, the saint and the nn [name]Frank[/name]. Always best to have the formal version as it give you the option of always being known as [name]Frank[/name] while the shorter [name]Frank[/name] gives you little room for a nn.