Franky a nn for Veronica?

Some how I stumbled across a site that listed nicknames for quite a few names.
[name]How[/name] factual these findings are I do not know but nevertheless it I found it very interesting.

http://www.tngenweb.org/franklin/frannick.htm

I also found other sites with the same information. They also listed [name]Franky[/name] as a nn for [name]Veronica[/name]. I rather like it. My sister in-law is named [name]Veronica[/name] and her nn is [name]Ronnie[/name], I much prefer [name]Franky[/name].

Thanks for posting this. I actually have roots in [name]Franklin[/name] Co, TN and had visited that website before. I enjoyed the nn lists and yes, I think [name]Franky[/name] is a cute nn for [name]Veronica[/name]!

Other than the fact that the initials “F” and “V” are similar in that they are both labiodental fricative consonants, and share a Semitic alphabetic origin, I otherwise don’t get how the name “[name]Veronica[/name]” translates into the nickname of “[name]Franky[/name].” ?

Those other sites you found that give the same information could be copying off each other. There’s a lot of misinformation flying around the [name]Web[/name] that gets perpetuated from one site copying another site’s misinformation.

scratches head and shrugs :slight_smile:

– [name]Nephele[/name]

The “F” and “V” having a somewhat similar sound is the only tie I could really think of too.
It makes sense that the site with the same info. were copying from one source. I think most of the nn’s were probably correct. [name]Franky[/name] for [name]Veronica[/name] is the one that really stood out to me and made think “huh???”.

It seems awfully “clever” as if you say [name]Veronica[/name] really fast, it’s aaaaaaaalmost a leeeetle close to [name]Franky[/name]. Vronka. This may at one time have connected in one person’s head and thought it was cute, the same way my friend used to call me Nerak, because it’s my name spelled backward and he read it in a book in 6th grade, and even then, I think the person in the book had the same name as me.

I can picture an author conjuring the name and back-story up for a young girl protagonist [name]Veronica[/name] and she was such a tomboy everyone called her [name]Frankie[/name], or that her older sister couldn’t say [name]Veronica[/name] when she was born and everyone thought this toddler speech impediment was adorable (this totally happens, f’reals). And then this was the best book and all the little studious romantic girls who read all the books liked well this one for all time, like ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ or ‘[name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables’ or '[name]Charlotte[/name]‘s [name]Web[/name]’ or ‘[name]Little[/name] Women,’ and saved this name, [name]Veronica[/name] to love for their own daughter someday, who would be spunky, headstrong, independent little young lady who would of course, go by [name]Frankie[/name].

I don’t know where it came from, but I can imagine if the influence was a beloved book, it would make more sense. Daydreaming the afternoon away, creating solutions where there were no problems…