Frederick VS Friedrich

Which do you guys prefer?
Also, how do you think Americans (non name nerds) would intuitively pronounce [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m]?
Nicknames would be [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] or [name_m]Fritz[/name_m].

TIA :heart:

I prefer [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]. I love the nickname [name_m]Fritz[/name_m]!!
I’d assume that [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m] is pronounced freed-rih

1 Like

I prefer [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], but both variants are fenomenal! [name_m]Fritz[/name_m] is my favorite nickname.

1 Like

I prefer [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m], actually, but I honestly don’t know how the average person would naturally pronounce it. I want to say that people are familiar enough to know it’s not “fried rich”, but I really can’t say.

I love [name_m]Fritz[/name_m] as a nn! I also love [name_u]Freddy[/name_u], but more as a nn for [name_m]Frederic[/name_m] (Frédéric, to be clear, but I tend to leave off the accents), the [name_u]French[/name_u] form, which I much prefer to [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] as well.

1 Like

I like both, I can’t really decide which I prefer. I think [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m] is familiar enough that most people would know it’s “freed-rick” but I am [name_m]German[/name_m]-American from an area with a lot of people of [name_m]German[/name_m] ancestry so maybe I’m assuming a greater level of familiarity than there is in reality.

I really like both of those names! I have [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] on my name list as well so I may be a bit biased to that one! I think that most people would pronounce [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m] correctly, I know it from Sound of [name_f]Music[/name_f] ! I love those nn too!

Hi there.

I prefer [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], but really like [name_m]Frederic[/name_m] best for some reason. I’m in the U.S, & I’d say [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m] as [name_u]Free[/name_u]-drick. [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] & [name_m]Fritz[/name_m] are fun!

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

I like both but prefer [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] since I love the nn [name_u]Freddie[/name_u]. I pronounce [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m] as [name_u]Free[/name_u]-drick.

I much prefer [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]

If you’re using [name_u]Freddie[/name_u], I think [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] is the better option. That being said I prefer [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m] (I’d pronounce it Freed-rick) and nn [name_m]Fritz[/name_m].

I prefer [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m]! I intuitively pronounce [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m] as freed-rick. Like @elanorelle I would assume most people are familiar enough with it to at least guess the pronunciation, but I really don’t know.

1 Like

I’m in the UK. I prefer [name_m]Frederick[/name_m].

I prefer [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m] nn [name_m]Fritz[/name_m]. I’m in the US and am really not sure if non-name-nerds would know how to pronounce it!

Friedrich might have some trouble with spelling and pronunciation especially in the us. I’d go for [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] instead.

I’m an American, and I pronounce [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m] as free-drik. I love both of these names, but [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m] seems somehow fresher to me. I love the nn [name_u]Red[/name_u] for [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], though!

I prefer [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]. I’d say [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m] like FREED-rick.