French Girls Names

Georgia[/name]]I’m wondering about French names. Does anyone know any really nice French girls names and if anyone is French or lives in [name]France[/name] what are people called there?
I have already found, liked and would like to know how to pronnounce:
[name]Emilie[/name]
[name]Alea[/name]
[name]Mailys[/name]

Sorry I don’t know how to put the accents on.

I think [name]Manon[/name] is a popular girl name in [name]France[/name]. Someone correct me if I’m wrong. I have a French friend named [name]Nicole[/name]. Of course there’s the pretty name from the film [name]Amelie[/name]. That’s just off the top of my head. I think if you do a search on here you’ll find quite a few threads on this topic and other helpful info too.

The french spelling, [name]Nathalie[/name], is one of my favorites.

Some of my favorites: [name]Oceane[/name], [name]Aurelie[/name], [name]Elodie[/name], [name]Dorothee[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Madeline[/name], [name]Juliette[/name], [name]Colette[/name], [name]Christiane[/name], [name]Audrey[/name]

[name]Emilie[/name] is just like [name]Emily[/name] with a french accent. Not sure about the other ones

Here are some that I like - I have no idea what’s popular in [name]France[/name] right now, but I love French names:

[name]Angeline[/name]
[name]Angelique[/name]
[name]Cecile[/name]
[name]Gabrielle[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Laetitia[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Nathalie[/name]
[name]Yolande[/name]

Oh, I also love [name]Genevieve[/name] with the French pronunciation (Jhun-vee-EV)!

I love some of these that have been mentioned! [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Mirabelle[/name], [name]Aurelie[/name], [name]Emilie[/name], [name]Amelie[/name], [name]Elodie[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], etc.

I have friends in [name]France[/name], and from what I’ve heard, the popular names over there are quite cutesy–[name]Emma[/name], [name]Lola[/name], [name]Lucie[/name], [name]Lilou[/name], [name]Manon[/name], etc. I think [name]Anais[/name] and [name]Camille[/name] are also quite popular.

I also love [name]Arianne[/name] and [name]Isabelle[/name], and I think [name]Ophelie[/name] is intriguing.

There’s also:

[name]Maelys[/name]
[name]Maelle[/name]
[name]Anaelle[/name]
[name]Mathilde[/name]
[name]Juliette[/name] (which is coming back into style, I understand)
Felicite
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Arielle[/name]

Good luck!

I know a young French girl, early twenties, named [name]Gaelle[/name] (pronounced gah-YELL).

Oh, just to add on. I know some French girls and here are their names: [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Astrid[/name], [name]Emma[/name], [name]Audrey[/name], [name]Nathalie[/name], [name]Virginie[/name], [name]Pauline[/name], [name]Louise[/name], [name]Valentine[/name], [name]Anais[/name], [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Ida[/name], [name]Victoire[/name], [name]Mathilde[/name], and [name]Philippine[/name].

I did work experience in a French school three years ago and from what I can remember of the names, there was a [name]Caroline[/name] and two Paulines, which I thought were quite dated in [name]Britain[/name] but these girls were only ten. There was a Lauranne, though I may be mistaken on the spelling there, an [name]Elodie[/name], an [name]Emilie[/name] and a [name]Catherine[/name]. I can’t remember the rest of them, but there were some really pretty names among the class. The general impression I got were -e endings were really popular (much moreso than -a ending names which seem really popular in the States right now).

[name]Delphine[/name] and [name]Ghislaine[/name] are my favorite French names BUT I’ve been told are very outdated in [name]France[/name], if that matters.

[name]Clotilde[/name], [name]Philomene[/name], [name]Delphine[/name], [name]Claude[/name]

Thanks everyone. It was really useful. Out of the ones you have suggested so far I like:
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Aurelie[/name]
[name]Mathilde[/name]
[name]Manon[/name]
[name]Juliette[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Maelys[/name]

BTW still looking for pronnouncation guide especially:
[name]Anais[/name]
[name]Mailys[/name]
[name]Alea[/name]

[name]Anais[/name] is AN-eye-ees. (I’m really bad with pronunciation guides).

I have French heritage and some names on my family tree that haven’t been mentioned yet are:
[name]Seraphine[/name]
[name]Alix[/name]
[name]Noelle[/name]
[name]Sabine[/name]
[name]Salome[/name]
[name]Victoire[/name]
[name]Aurore[/name]
[name]Maelys[/name] is pronounced Mah-ay-lees in French
[name]Emilie[/name] is pronounced Ay-mee-lee in French

[name]France[/name]'s Top 500 from 2010 Popular Names in France 2010 - Behind the Name

Might be a helpful guide :slight_smile:

A few I like are [name]Odile[/name], [name]Clothilde[/name], [name]Ines[/name], [name]Rochelle[/name] and [name]Agathe[/name] (ah-GAT).

According to Nameberry, [name]Frostine[/name] is becoming trendy in [name]France[/name]. I admit I sort of like it. But are kids in the US still playing Candyland? LOL.

I’m guessing here, but for [name]Alea[/name] I’d go with ah-lee-oh (french accent). And I’ve heard [name]Anais[/name] AN-eye-is. [name]Mailys[/name] would probably be the same as [name]Maelys[/name].
I love a lot of French names, but one of my favorites is [name]Marie[/name]-[name]Aimee[/name] (prn ay-may). Judging by people on facebook, it’s still in use in [name]France[/name]. [name]Yvette[/name] is also one of my favorites, and better suited to an English speaking country.

[name]Just[/name] a couple names that I haven’t seen on the lists yet: [name]Emmanuelle[/name], [name]Simone[/name], [name]Sol[/name]ène, Inès, Eugénie, [name]Laurence[/name], [name]Ali[/name]énor, [name]Aurore[/name], Bérangère, [name]Capucine[/name], Cécile, [name]Maxime[/name], and [name]Sabine[/name].

Nameberry has a list of french girls names here: 89 Unique French Baby Girl Names | Nameberry