Freya, Thea, or?

What is your opinion on Freya (Fray-uh) and Thea (Thee-uh)? Honest opinions and critiques welcome.

Do you like Freya or Thea better? (Just Thea, not short for anything)

Any suggestions for similar names?

Thanks!

I personally prefer [name_f]Thea[/name_f]. It’s mainly based on the sound, but I do also like that it’s much less popular and trendy than [name_f]Freya[/name_f].

Oh, I like them both, and I’m not sure that [name_f]Thea[/name_f] is much less trendy then Freya… [name_m]Just[/name_m] by sound I’ll go with [name_f]Freya[/name_f] (but I really like [name_f]Thea[/name_f], esp as a nickname for Dorothea!)
I also want to suggest [name_f]Runa[/name_f]

I love the name [name_f]Thea[/name_f]. That’s my niece’s name, and she’s the only one I’ve ever met. Her full name is actually [name_f]Theodora[/name_f], but goes by [name_f]Thea[/name_f]. Such a lovely, fresh name.

2 Likes

I agree with @ClayAnna :relaxed: [name_f]Thea[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] is lovely. Giving her the longer form too I think is always nice when they get older in case they want to mix it up!

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Thea[/name_f]!

I really like both but I slightly prefer the soft but strong Freya!!

Some similiar names

[name_f]Thora[/name_f]
[name_f]Fia[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f]
[name_f]Mila[/name_f]
[name_f]Bria[/name_f]
[name_f]Kaia[/name_f]

I love Freya! :purple_heart: and I like Thea

I prefer [name_f]Freya[/name_f] but [name_f]Thea[/name_f] is also beautiful!

1 Like

I like both, but I prefer [name_f]Thea[/name_f].

Taya/Tea/Teia (rhymes with Freya) might also be a good compromise between the two?

1 Like

I really enjoy these names! they are both on my own list! I love the goddess associations with both however I think I may slightly prefer the sound of [name_f]Freya[/name_f]! it sounds slightly stronger in my opinion, and really fits the origin. I just love the imagery I get in my head when I think of the name [name_f]Freya[/name_f]!

I prefer [name_f]Freya[/name_f], personally. It feels a little less simple to me than [name_f]Thea[/name_f] (not that that’s a bad thing, just my preference :slightly_smiling_face:)

I like [name_f]Thea[/name_f] better by a large margin

i love both! (though my favorite spelling of [name_f]Freya[/name_f] is Freyja.) i think right now, i love [name_f]Thea[/name_f] more! i also like that you can get nicknames [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] and [name_u]Theo[/name_u] from [name_f]Thea[/name_f].

similar names:

[name_f]Rhea[/name_f] / [name_f]Raya[/name_f]
[name_f]Fia[/name_f] / [name_f]Fiadh[/name_f]
[name_f]Faye[/name_f] / [name_f]Fay[/name_f] / [name_f]Fae[/name_f]

Personally I prefer [name_f]Freya[/name_f], but both are nms but still nice!

I love both names although Freya wins out. It feels like a really intelligent, artistic name to me and I love the Norse mythology behind it. In saying that, Thea has a similar sophistication and strength that really endears me to it. Freya was actually high on my list when I was pregnant with my daughter; if I were to ever become pregnant again I’d consider both names!

Some names that feel similar are:

Thora
Noa
Astrid
Juno
Paloma
Liv
Willa
Ophelia
Maeve
Lyra
Saskia
Orla
Luella
Kaia
Iris
Matilda
Stella
Uma

[name_f]Thea[/name_f]

I think both are very pretty but [name_f]Freya[/name_f] is really popular, here in the UK, and popularity puts me off.

Similiar names which I think have similiar sound and equally as pretty but underused are
[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Althea[/name_f]
[name_f]Dorothea[/name_f]
[name_f]Freydis[/name_f]
[name_f]Thora[/name_f]
[name_f]Athena[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]

[name_f]Freya[/name_f] is a great name, but it’s feeling a bit overdone and trendy to me at the moment. I like [name_f]Thea[/name_f], but I like [name_f]Althea[/name_f], [name_f]Anthea[/name_f], and [name_f]Thora[/name_f] even more! Of those, [name_f]Anthea[/name_f] (stress on the first syllable) is my favorite and you could use [name_f]Thea[/name_f] as a nickname.

I really like [name_f]Freya[/name_f]. [name_f]Thea[/name_f] is nice too, but I prefer it as an nn. [name_f]Freya[/name_f] is pretty.