Frieda or Freya?

Hello and Thanks for the help!
Trying to settle on a girl name. Here’s the deal my grandpa is [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] and my mom is [name_u]Freddie[/name_u]. We’d like to honor them both by naming our little bundle something similar. So we have [name_f]Freya[/name_f] and [name_f]Frieda[/name_f]…What do you think? I like both but it seems most berries like [name_f]Freya[/name_f] over [name_f]Frieda[/name_f]. I’m leaning towards [name_f]Frieda[/name_f] because I really like the nickname [name_u]Fritzi[/name_u]. If this little one turns out to be a boy he will be a [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] and the nn will be [name_m]Fritz[/name_m]. My mom is alive and well (just realized how the above read) so we’d either call him by his full name or [name_m]Fritz[/name_m]. Our last name is [name_m]Wolfe[/name_m] if that bears any weight. Thanks for you help fellow mommas!

I personally like [name_f]Freya[/name_f] over [name_f]Frieda[/name_f] but it could be the spelling? I prefer [name_f]Frida[/name_f] :slight_smile:

I too prefer [name_f]Freya[/name_f], but only the tiniest bit over the spelling [name_f]Frida[/name_f]. They’re both gorgeous names imo, so if you’re leaning towards [name_f]Frieda[/name_f], I say go for it. But again, the [name_f]Frieda[/name_f] spelling is not as appealing to me as [name_f]Frida[/name_f]. I love the idea of the nn [name_u]Fritzi[/name_u]! I think it’s absolutely adorable.

By the way, it’s super cool that your ln is [name_m]Wolfe[/name_m]. It goes beautifully with all of the names you’re considering. I guess my point is, it’s up to you and your SO, because all of the options are lovely.

I personally prefer [name_f]Freya[/name_f], but I think [name_f]Frieda[/name_f] is pretty too (especially with this spelling and the cute nickname, [name_u]Fritzi[/name_u]). Both sounds great with your last name and you seem to favour [name_f]Frieda[/name_f], so I say go for [name_f]Frieda[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

I definitely like [name_f]Freya[/name_f] mountains better than [name_f]Freida[/name_f]. You can still use [name_u]Fritzi[/name_u] as a nickname if you like with [name_f]Freya[/name_f]. [name_f]Freya[/name_f] just feels so gentle and unique, and [name_f]Freida[/name_f] just reminds me of someone’s eccentric aunt.

[name_f]Frieda[/name_f] is one of my favorites too, for the same reason. To honor a [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] and to use the adorable nickname [name_u]Fritzi[/name_u]! You have great taste, both names are awesome. You can’t go wrong with either!

I adore [name_f]Freya[/name_f] and don’t care for [name_f]Frieda[/name_f], so [name_f]Freya[/name_f] is an easy pick for me.

I prefer [name_f]Frieda[/name_f].
I think it makes a more straightforward honor name for “[name_m]Fred[/name_m]” beginning names than [name_f]Freya[/name_f] does. Also, [name_f]Frida[/name_f] [name_f]Kahlo[/name_f] is one of my favorite artists, so I might go for the [name_f]Frida[/name_f] spelling, but [name_f]Frieda[/name_f] is more traditional (also [name_f]Kahlo[/name_f]'s original name) and has a closer connection again to “[name_m]Fred[/name_m]-” in my opinion.

[name_f]Freya[/name_f] is a wonderful name, too, though, I don’t think you can go wrong with either one.

I prefer [name_f]Frieda[/name_f], especially when honoring a [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] as they have very similar meanings (“peace” and “peaceful ruler”).
[name_u]Fritzi[/name_u] is adorable and quirky and [name_f]Frieda[/name_f] is a beautiful vintage name with a lot of history and great associations. It’s by no means clunky to me as it’s quite popular where I live.
However, I’ve never been a huge [name_f]Freya[/name_f] fan, it just reminds me of friesian horses for some odd reason.

My mom’s name is [name_f]Frieda[/name_f]. She hates it. She is sixty, and even then she considers [name_f]Frieda[/name_f] to be an “old person name.” Everyone else we know named [name_f]Frieda[/name_f] is in their 90s.

People always spell it wrong, often as [name_f]Frida[/name_f] or [name_f]Freida[/name_f].

I vastly prefer [name_f]Freya[/name_f], which is a little softer and much more wearable.

Both are absolutely great! Personally I prefer [name_f]Freya[/name_f], however [name_f]Frieda[/name_f] seems to be the perfect option for you:) Good luck!

I prefer [name_f]Freya[/name_f] myself, but I would be happy to hear of a baby named [name_f]Frieda[/name_f]/[name_f]Frida[/name_f] and I think it makes more sense to honor a [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]/[name_u]Freddie[/name_u].

I prefer [name_f]Freya[/name_f]. It sounds much prettier than [name_f]Freida[/name_f] to me.

[name_f]Freya[/name_f]! I love [name_f]Freya[/name_f]!

I like [name_f]Freya[/name_f] the most, but [name_f]Frieda[/name_f] is a great name too, and I feel like it honours your parent and grandparent more obviously than [name_f]Freya[/name_f] does. Either names are beautiful though and it’s your choice in the end :slight_smile: