Full Name For Nickname Ally?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] Berries!

Can you help me think of some names that could/would easily shorten to [name_f]Ally[/name_f]? I don’t care for [name_u]Allison[/name_u] and while I like [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] I can see that turning into [name_f]Addy[/name_f] whether or not I like it.

My husband and I can’t seem to agree on any names and thus don’t have a “style” that we’re aiming for. His one and only suggestion has been [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] (as in a double first name) and while I could probably handle it as a first and middle [name_f]Emma[/name_f] is a bit popular for my tastes. I’d really prefer my kids not be one of 3 or 4 in their classes when the time comes.

I’m all over the place with names. I like some older names ([name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] come to mind quickly), I like names that were popular in the 80s ([name_f]Megan[/name_f] and [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] are on my list), and sometimes I like modern names that I just can’t see myself using due to popularity or to them having foreign ties when neither of us is particularly connected to our roots ([name_f]Gabriella[/name_f], [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Liliana[/name_f]/Leliana).

Any help would be appreciated!

I know two little Alexandras that go by [name_u]Allie[/name_u].

[name_f]Alexia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexa[/name_f]
[name_f]Aline[/name_f]
[name_f]Alida[/name_f]
[name_f]Callista[/name_f]

All the [name_u]Alex[/name_u]'s came to mind ([name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f], [name_f]Alessandra[/name_f], [name_f]Alexa[/name_f], [name_u]Alexis[/name_u], [name_f]Alexia[/name_f]) at first. Also:

[name_f]Alyssia[/name_f] (probably not your taste but it’s on my list and I love it, other spellings are [name_f]Alicia[/name_f]/[name_f]Alisia[/name_f]/[name_f]Alysia[/name_f]).
[name_f]Alana[/name_f]
[name_f]Allegra[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Althea[/name_f]
[name_f]Alivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alina[/name_f]
[name_f]Alanis[/name_f]
[name_f]Alise[/name_f]
[name_f]Aaliyah[/name_f]
[name_f]Alyssa[/name_f]
[name_f]Alaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Alaina[/name_f]

And the only name I could think of that could be shortened to [name_f]Ally[/name_f] (that doesn’t begin with al-) is [name_f]Callista[/name_f] but someone’s already said that. :slight_smile:

Thank you, Shickler. I do like [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], and my husband has expressed liking that name in the past, but there’s something about it that prohibits me from loving it as a name for my daughter.

I don’t care for [name_f]Alexia[/name_f]/[name_f]Alexa[/name_f]/[name_u]Alexis[/name_u] and I’ve never seen/heard [name_f]Aline[/name_f] or [name_f]Alida[/name_f] - are they pronounced A-leen and A-leeda?

[name_f]Callista[/name_f] isn’t something I could see us using.

Eoxima, thank you! I do like [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Alyssa[/name_f]. My husband isn’t a huge fan of [name_f]Alice[/name_f] but I could potentially see it working. We both know Alyssas and can’t see ourselves using the name before of them.

You’re right - [name_f]Aline[/name_f] is AA-leen and [name_f]Alida[/name_f] is AA-leeda. Both are diminutives of [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. I’ve met a little girl named [name_f]Alida[/name_f] and it struck me as very pretty and unexpected, but familiar enough. [name_f]Aline[/name_f] is a name I’ve only heard on older ladies, but it’s an established less-used name that will get you to [name_u]Allie[/name_u]. I prefer [name_f]Alida[/name_f] of the two.

I have tried to think of those which have a definite “[name_m]Al[/name_m]” sound - you could probably make an [name_f]Alberta[/name_f]/[name_f]Albertina[/name_f]/[name_f]Albertine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Ally[/name_f] but some people could be tempted to called her [name_u]Bertie[/name_u].

Alara
[name_f]Alaia[/name_f]
Allera/[name_f]Alaira[/name_f]
[name_f]Alandra[/name_f]
Alianne/[name_f]Alianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Alicia[/name_f]
Aliska
[name_f]Alma[/name_f]
[name_f]Althea[/name_f]
[name_f]Alvina[/name_f]

Alvery
[name_f]Aleta[/name_f]
[name_f]Alondra[/name_f]
Alais
[name_f]Albertina[/name_f]
Almena
[name_f]Alonza[/name_f]
[name_f]Alphonsine[/name_f]
[name_f]Alfreda[/name_f]
[name_f]Alma[/name_f]
[name_f]Alethea[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelita[/name_f]
[name_f]Albinia[/name_f]
Alcida
[name_f]Alpha[/name_f]
[name_f]Alla[/name_f]
Aldora
Alarice
[name_f]Alameda[/name_f]
Alamena
Alvenia
[name_f]Aloysia[/name_f]
[name_f]Allegra[/name_f]
[name_f]Aletta[/name_f]
[name_f]Alisa[/name_f]
Alima
[name_f]Alta[/name_f]
[name_f]Alessia[/name_f]

The options are endless, really.

[name_f]Alma[/name_f]
[name_f]Alba[/name_f]
[name_f]Allegra[/name_f]
[name_u]Ali[/name_u]énor [ah-lee-eh-[name_f]NOR[/name_f]]
[name_f]Alexandrine[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexina[/name_f]
[name_u]Alix[/name_u]
[name_f]Alpha[/name_f]
[name_f]Alta[/name_f]
Alfhild
[name_f]Alphonsine[/name_f]
Alodia
[name_f]Amalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Amalie[/name_f]
(sorry for repeats)

are [name_f]Cally[/name_f], [name_f]Hally[/name_f], [name_f]Lally[/name_f], [name_f]Mally[/name_f], Nally, [name_f]Sally[/name_f], [name_u]Tally[/name_u], or [name_f]Vally[/name_f] options?

I would say go for [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]!

[name_f]Aveline[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]/[name_f]Alessandra[/name_f]/[name_f]Alexandria[/name_f]/[name_f]Alexandrine[/name_f]/[name_f]Alexandrina[/name_f]/[name_f]Alexa[/name_f]/[name_f]Alexia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alyssa[/name_f]
[name_f]Alicia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alaina[/name_f]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]/[name_f]Annalise[/name_f]
[name_f]Annalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Alana[/name_f]/[name_f]Alanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]/[name_f]Amalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Calista[/name_f]/[name_f]Callista[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]/[name_f]Rosaline[/name_f]/[name_f]Rosalia[/name_f]/[name_f]Rosalina[/name_f]
[name_f]Hallie[/name_f]/[name_f]Hally[/name_f]/[name_u]Halley[/name_u]
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u]
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f]/[name_f]Natalia[/name_f]/[name_f]Nathalia[/name_f]/[name_f]Natalya[/name_f]/Nathalya

Thank you all!

Seconding the berry who said [name_f]Alienor[/name_f]!
If you like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], why not the french variant? I had [name_f]Alienor[/name_f] nn [name_u]Allie[/name_u] on my list for a while. :slight_smile:

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f] nn [name_f]Ally[/name_f] ?

Or

[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Aloisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Eulalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Alana[/name_f] / [name_f]Alannah[/name_f]

I know several girls who go by [name_f]Ally[/name_f], and all of them have popular names:
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]
[name_u]Alexis[/name_u]
[name_u]Allison[/name_u]

I’m not a huge fan of any of the names above, although I do like [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] with the nickname of [name_u]Sasha[/name_u].

I’m with you on admiring some of the popular names from the 80s. One of my best friends was a girl named [name_f]Megan[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. I always considered that the perfect name!

Here are some names that seem to fit your style. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like any of these? Also, please post in Nameberry birth announcements once your little girl arrives. GOOD [name_m]LUCK[/name_m]! (Both [name_u]Ainsley[/name_u] and [name_f]Alina[/name_f] could shorten to [name_f]Ally[/name_f].)

*[name_u]Ainsley[/name_u]
*[name_f]Alina[/name_f] ([name_m]Ah[/name_m]-LEEN-uh)
*[name_f]Anika[/name_f] ([name_m]Ah[/name_m]-NEEK-uh) or [name_f]Annika[/name_f] (AWN-uh-kuh)
*[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
*[name_f]Elsie[/name_f]
*[name_f]Elyse[/name_f]
*[name_f]Lilia[/name_f]
*[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
*[name_f]Lydia[/name_f], possible nickname of “Lyddie”
*[name_f]Maya[/name_f]
*[name_f]Noelle[/name_f] – It is perfect for a [name_u]December[/name_u] baby, but I know an adorable little girl born in [name_u]August[/name_u] who was named [name_f]Noelle[/name_f].
*[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]

Names with the nickname [name_f]Ally[/name_f]:
[name_f]Alicia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Alessandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Alyssa[/name_f]
[name_f]Alannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Alaina[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] too. Have you thought about it making it a double first name, like [name_f]Emma[/name_f]-[name_u]Jean[/name_u] (whether you use the hyphen or not is optional, even if it is a double first name). My favorite [name_f]Emma[/name_f] combination is [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] as a first name.

Other options:

[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] (you could call her [name_f]Emma[/name_f] at home, but she certainly won’t be one of 5 at school)
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] (tons of nicknames if you’re concerned about popularity – [name_u]Laine[/name_u], [name_f]Lena[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] or [name_f]Elle[/name_f] or [name_f]Ella[/name_f])
[name_f]Aislinn[/name_f] ([name_u]Ash[/name_u]-leen or [name_u]Ash[/name_u]-lyn)
Emmelina
[name_f]Michaela[/name_f]
[name_u]Ainsley[/name_u]

Had my son been a girl, we were going with the name [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] with [name_u]Allie[/name_u] as a nickname. While [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] is not very uncommon on its own, using [name_u]Allie[/name_u] as a nickname would be unique.

katoolah - I think it’s a bit too [name_m]French[/name_m] for us.

bellerose - thank you!

loislane1222 - I do like [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], that’s on our list, but I can’t see it shortening to [name_f]Ally[/name_f]. [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is cute but I know she’d be [name_f]Elly[/name_f]/[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]. I like [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] but I can’t see it on my child.

I think the issue we have is that we want “All American” names. For boys, for example, my husband often says he wants something along the lines of [name_m]Brandon[/name_m], [name_m]Brian[/name_m], [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_m]William[/name_m], etc. (yet none of those names appeal to him for a son).

Maybe [name_f]Ally[/name_f] won’t be what we go with - I’ve been wishy washy about it with our last name. I think I need two syllables, not ending in “y”, “r”, or “n”.

Back to the drawing board!

I like, and these have probably been mentioned, [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f], [name_f]Alexia[/name_f], [name_f]Alethea[/name_f],* [name_f]Alessia[/name_f], and [name_u]Alexius[/name_u].
Other ideas:
[name_f]Alissa[/name_f]/[name_f]Alyssa[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]

[name_u]Alexis[/name_u]
[name_u]Alex[/name_u]
[name_f]Alessandra[/name_f]*
[name_f]Alexa[/name_f]
= highly recommended
[name_f]Alma[/name_f]
[name_f]Callista[/name_f]

[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Amalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
[name_f]Talia[/name_f]
[name_f]Halia[/name_f] (HAY-[name_u]Lee[/name_u]-yah)

[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Aliyah[/name_f]
[name_u]Alexis[/name_u]/[name_u]Alexi[/name_u]/[name_f]Alexa[/name_f]
[name_f]Alana[/name_f]/[name_f]Alannah[/name_f]/[name_f]Alayna[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Alyssa[/name_f]
[name_f]Alise[/name_f]
[name_f]Aliana[/name_f]

[name_f]Alyssa[/name_f] would be my pick.
Other suggestions:
[name_f]Alabama[/name_f]
[name_f]Alba[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
Alizba
[name_f]Alma[/name_f]
[name_u]Alva[/name_u]
Alvilda
[name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (or something unique like Alisabet)