Full Name Rhythms and Syllables

I understand the full name needs to flow with the rhythm and syllables of each name, first, middle, and last when put all together as well as the combination of the first and last, which is most commonly used.

That said, I am having trouble putting a girl’s name together for the one syllabled last name [name]Crow[/name]. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Three, two, one would be my suggestion. Three syllable first name sounds best when paired with a one syllable surname, alone. A two syllable middle would keep it from being singsongy : Three three one is singsongy and three one one is stilted. But three, two, one would flow naturally off your tongue and work nicely for her, I would think.

I can’t make suggestions because I really have no clue where to start, style wise. If you give me an idea of things you like, I could use that as a jumping off point. I’ll be back to check for suggestions on what you like!

Thanks,

Yes, I agree with the three, two, one. But, is two, three, one an option too? I would like to pass the family name [name]Elizabeth[/name] down but in the French version, [name]Elise[/name]. Not sure to put it as the first or middle name.

I don’t care for unisex, invented, too out there, or over saturated names.

Thanks for your great help!

Told you I’d be back! :smiley:

I suppose two, three, one works as well. :slight_smile: I just prefer a three syllable first with a one syllable surname. I’m not sure how to word why, either… more space, more air, I don’t know. It’s an odd thing.
[name]Say[/name]:
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name] (3, 2, 1)
over [name]Elise[/name] [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Crow[/name] (2,3,1)

Well, I really like [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Crow[/name], both looks & flow wise. Some other suggestions, keeping ‘not common yet completely normal, not unisex, nor too popular’ in mind:

[name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name] (Biased, I have a 4 year old [name]Josephine[/name] and I love her name so much I suggest it to everyone, it could stand to be a bit more popular, it’s 224 on the charts)
[name]Violet[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Stella[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name] (See, 2,2,1 does work, too!)
[name]Joanna[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Lila[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name] (could also be spelled [name]Elinor[/name], like in “Sense & Sensibility” or [name]Elanor[/name], like in “The [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings”) (I favor [name]Elinor[/name] most, myself)
[name]Cynthia[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Marilyn[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name] (Could be [name]Lou[/name]-SEE-ah, LOO-sha or [name]Lou[/name]-CHEE-ah)(and [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Crow[/name] is sweet)
[name]Anastasia[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Carolina[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name] (cahr-oh-leen-ah, four syllables, but lovely!)
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name] (another 2,2,1)
[name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]/[name]Helen[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Priscilla[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Valentina[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name] (Might be a bit much but sounds so lovely with your last name!)
[name]Claudia[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name] (I say [name]Claudia[/name] as Clow-dee-ah, might be a bit much, but oh so lovely that way)
[name]Patricia[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]

I went to http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/
and looked at the top 1000 popular names for girls (both boys & grls are on the list) and just went form the high 200’s to the mid 400’s, tried to stay with stuff that we’ve all heard before but not too often and not too recently. I hope that helps some. [name]Feel[/name] free to check out Social Security’s lists yourself. They have wonderful lists here too, give them a try as well.

edited to fix the link!

Wow! Thank you for your great list of suggestions. Its so intersting how some names can sound so great with all three names said together, but then doesn’t sound as great with just the first and last. Naming is tricky!

I agree that a two, two, one and four, two, one works too! I have to say, [name]Carolina[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name] is my favorite. And, I’ve always loved the name [name]Josephine[/name], I just am not crazy about the nicknames…I would be more inclined to put it as a middle name to avoid this…maybe for the next girl!

Here are some other names I’ve gravitated to in the past…if anyone wants to play around with them for fun:

[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Corinna[/name]
[name]Mia[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Juliette[/name]
[name]Anabel[/name]
[name]Arianne[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Chiara[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]

Thanks again!

I agree with [name]Lola[/name] that a 3, 2, 1 sounds the best. But, I think any combination can work depending on the names and how it flows. You can make [name]Elise[/name] as the first name work if you pick the right middle name.

I meant, I could make [name]Elise[/name] as the first name work if I were to pick the right middle name but wrote it in a general sense…didn’t come off right!

I’ll play around with you “other” list tomorrow as it’s after midnight now & I really should be getting to bed soon!

But I wanted to mention [name]Josephine[/name]'s nicknames. Did you know there are close to a dozen options there? Let me see: [name]Jo[/name], [name]Josie[/name], [name]Posy[/name], [name]Effie[/name], [name]Fifi[/name], [name]Fee[/name], [name]Fina[/name], [name]Joey[/name], [name]Jojo[/name], [name]Poppy[/name], and I’ve even heard a few people thinking they could use [name]Sophie[/name] as a nickname for [name]Josephine[/name] (Which rather defeats the purpose of the gorgeous full name, to me). Mine goes by the full [name]Josephine[/name] far more often than even I thought she would. But we use [name]Fifi[/name], [name]Effie[/name], [name]Fee[/name], [name]Josie[/name], [name]Poppy[/name] & [name]Posy[/name]/[name]Posie[/name] all pretty much interchangeably, depending on her mood. (The Divagirl gets [name]Fifi[/name], the sweet girl gets [name]Josie[/name], the delicate whiny baby gets [name]Posy[/name]… get it?) But the best part about [name]Josephine[/name]? The full thing. It’s regal, warm, friendly, familiar but not weird. I’ve never had a problem with people misspelling it, thinking it was something other than [name]Josephine[/name], and she loves her name. I mean, she says she has a “princess” name. I like that at her age, I was already runnng through a dozen or more names, looking for one that I liked better than frilly, yucky [name]Laura[/name]. She’s never done that. She is [name]Josephine[/name] and likes being [name]Josephine[/name] and I like that she’s one of less than 1500 in the States born the year she was born. Last year there were 1,538 Josephines born, that’s like 31 per state!

Okay, I’m done Soapboxing [name]Josephine[/name] for a while.

I will tackle your list as well as some combos using [name]Elise[/name] in first place tomorrow morning. I’m about ready to conk out! :slight_smile:

I think thats a perfect description of [name]Josephine[/name], “regal” yet “warm.” It truly is a special name, I’ve always loved it. I see how its fun for you to have all these cute nicknames for your daughter too. I am impressed your daughter goes by [name]Josephine[/name] more often than [name]Josie[/name], in my experience, [name]Josephine[/name]'s go by [name]Josie[/name] more often.

I appreciate you taking the time to give me all your input and help! No pressure to continue…you’ve already been an immense help! Thank you.

I suggest, as has been explored, 2, 3,1 or 3,2,1. To me, 2,3,1 sounds better in general but I think it depends on the name.

As your surname is short and begins with a ‘C’ then I don’t think short C names work as well as other names - they’re a little matchy and repetitive. I think [name]Chiara[/name] or [name]Corinna[/name] could work, but you’d have a more balanced name if you chose a non-C name - [name]Julia[/name], [name]Juliette[/name], [name]Anabel[/name] and [name]Arianne[/name] are all good choices. [name]Mia[/name] [name]Crow[/name] sounds a little like ‘me, a crow!’ in my accent, and [name]Lily[/name] [name]Crow[/name] seems to hold a nature theme - [name]Lila[/name] or [name]Lillian[/name] may work better.

Some other names with [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]:

[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Lara[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Keziah[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Bethany[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Rhiannon[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name]

[name]Elise[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Gabrielle[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Natalie[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Daphne[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Sabina[/name] [name]Crow[/name]

When it comes to nicknames, I’ve found what you call the child/what they go by is what other people will call them. If I introduce myself as [name]Laura[/name], people call me [name]Laura[/name]. If I intoduce myself as [name]Lola[/name] (as I most often do), that’s what people call me. I love saying her name, hence I use it more often. And it’s easy to do: “What’s her name? [name]Josephine[/name]”. :smiley:

Now, onto [name]Elise[/name] and your previous list:

Too short next to your surname/suggestions to lengthen them a bit:

[name]Cora[/name]/[name]Coralie[/name], [name]Coraline[/name]
[name]Mia[/name] - [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Camilla[/name], [name]Emilia[/name], [name]Pamela[/name], [name]Romilda[/name], [name]Samira[/name] or even [name]Wilhelmina[/name] (I love willa-mina!)
[name]Lily[/name] - [name]Lilian[/name], [name]Lillian[/name], [name]Liliana[/name]/[name]Lilianna[/name], [name]Lilia[/name], [name]Lilias[/name], Lilavati (is Sanskrit)
[name]Clara[/name] - [name]Clarissa[/name], Clairsse/[name]Clarice[/name], [name]Clarity[/name].

[name]Corinna[/name] very pretty. The [name]Corinne[/name] sound strikes me as very 70’s, I knew tons of them when I was little. But [name]Corinna[/name]'s a slightly fresher turn. [name]Corinna[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name] would be pretty. I just prefer [name]Coralie[/name] and [name]Coraline/name. [name]Coraline[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name] would be lovely.

[name]Julia[/name] - [name]Julia[/name] [name]Crow[/name] feels a touch sing-songy to me. [name]Juliana[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name] would be a bit better, sound wise with your surname. And [name]Juliana[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name] sounds positively princessy.

[name]Juliette[/name] - I prefer the more streamlined [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Juliette[/name]'s too fluffy looking for me (and reminds me of the cooking term [name]Julienne[/name]). [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name] would be lovely.

[name]Anabel[/name] - I prefer the English [name]Annabel[/name] to the Spanish [name]Anabel[/name]. I say them both the same, it’s just [name]Anabel[/name] looks stilted to me. Could be because I’m not Spanish! :slight_smile: [name]Annabel[/name] flows, visually too. [name]Annabel[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name] is really lovely.

[name]Arianne[/name] - I liked this name when I was in High School! If my boys had been girls, it’s likely one of them would be [name]Arianne[/name] or [name]Ariana[/name]. I still like [name]Arianne[/name] but think she’s a bit too delicate (but then, my kids are brick-like and monkey-like (heavy & lithe) very un-delicate! Maybe yours will fit that image. :smiley:

[name]Chiara[/name] - You’re saying keer-ah? That’s lovely. It’s a bit singsongy with your surname, but in a nice way. [name]Chiara[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name] would be lovely.

Now some with [name]Elise[/name] in front:

[name]Elise[/name] [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Carolina[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Francesca[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Cynthie[/name]/[name]Cynthia[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Kathleen[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Rhiannon[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Philippa[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Miranda[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Mariana[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Cassandra[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Georgiana[/name] [name]Crow[/name]
[name]Elise[/name] [name]Valentina[/name] [name]Crow[/name]

For me, [name]Elise[/name] is tough to pair with a middle. I’ve had bad personal experiences with two different Elises (and I keep typing [name]Elsie[/name] too! ARGH!) so it might be a problem with me, in general. I hope I helped a bit, at least and rememeber, keep your mind & eyes open. You may find “The” name when you least expect to!

I like [name]Lola[/name]'s idea of lengthening some of the names…but what about lengthening [name]Elise[/name]. [name]Elisa[/name]? [name]Eliza[/name]? [name]Eloise[/name]? [name]Eloisa[/name]? But I think [name]Elise[/name] [name]Crow[/name] sounds lovely just as it is, no matter what middle name (or names!) you choose.

Yes, I agree 2, 3, 1 sounds good. I like your suggestion, [name]Elise[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Crow[/name]. Lots of good choices, lots to think about! Thanks!

I agree that two-three-one and three-two-one work well. In my own family I have both–daughter [name]Chloe[/name] [name]Samantha[/name] [name]Finch[/name] and husband [name]Christopher[/name] [name]Robin[/name] [name]Finch[/name].