Full names with weird nicknames

I like nicknames and all, but sometimes I just dont quite understand them.

I knew a girl named [name]Victoria[/name] that moved away last year and she went by Victora. I’m sorry, but I just dont understand. You just might as well be called [name]Victoria[/name], you’re only taking one letter from your name!

My sister has a friend named [name]Sariah[/name] and she goes by [name]Sarah[/name]. I dont quite get that one. Why didnt her mom just call her [name]Sarah[/name] then?

Are there any nicknames that you dont get, or even some that you get but absolutely hate?

I love the name [name]Frances[/name] but it can have strange nickname of [name]Fanny[/name] or [name]Fannie[/name]. This nickname was quite popular in [name]England[/name] in [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name]'s time . Maybe it didn’t have the same meaning then as it does today.

It didn’t. Actually, [name]Fanny[/name] was still in use until relatively recently, with it being the name of one of the girls in [name]Enid[/name] Blyton’s The Faraway Tree series. They ‘updated’ the names of the children in a recent edition: [name]Jo[/name] (male) became [name]Joe[/name], to look more masculine; [name]Bessie[/name] was changed to another [name]Elizabeth[/name] nickname which I have forgotten; and [name]Fanny[/name] to [name]Franny[/name], I think. I wasn’t best pleased - I love vintage names, and don’t think the change was necessary.

[name]Auburn[/name]