G, H, & I Names

We are flying through our list…very excited! :slight_smile: My husband suggested that I might actually want to share with you which names we’ve picked thus far. [name]Alice[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Elisabeth[/name], and [name]Frances[/name].
Without further ado, here are our G, H, and I names:
[name]Gabrielle[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]-too popular?
[name]Georgina[/name]*
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]-My great-granny’s name
[name]Hermione[/name]-too closely tied to [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]?
[name]Hope[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]India[/name]
[name]Iona[/name]/[name]Ione[/name]

[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Isabel[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]

We had a harder time with these three letters, we just don’t have a lot of G, H, and I names we like. :frowning:

I just have to say I love ALL the names you’ve narrowed your list down to! Onto G, H and I…

G: I don’t think [name]Genevieve[/name] is too popular for me, but it’s not a favorite of mine. My favorite on your list is one of my all time favorite names- [name]Georgina[/name]. It, to me, is basically a perfect name. It’s pretty and girlish, works very well on an adult, has boyish nicknames ([name]George[/name] and [name]Georgie[/name]) and girlish ones too ([name]Gigi[/name], [name]Gia[/name], [name]Gina[/name]). I love this name!

H: I do think [name]Hermione[/name] is too close to HP at this point. Maybe in five/ten years it won’t be, but I think naming a daughter [name]Hermione[/name] today would get a lot of “Oh are you guys big [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] fans?” type questions. I love [name]Hazel[/name] a lot. And I love that it’s a family name for you! It’s got a wonderful simplicity about it and it’s not too vintage but definitely feels like it has history.

I: “I” is my favorite name letter! I love names beginning with I or containing the “I” sound. I adore [name]Isla[/name] but I think it’s getting popular fast so it’s not longer at the top of my list. [name]Iris[/name] is probably my number one favorite name (it was my Grandma’s name). But I also love [name]Imogen[/name] a lot and consider it an undiscovered gem in the world of naming. So [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Imogen[/name] are tied here for my favorite I name. I love them both for very different reasons- [name]Iris[/name] is vintage and flowery but not overly girly, [name]Imogen[/name] is exotic and cool, a bit hipster and a bit British yet totally lovely.

I am enjoying participating in your ‘name tournament’ and [name]LOVE[/name] the names you have picked so far! I can’t wait to see what you end up with! SO, on to the next round!
[name]Gabrielle[/name]-It’s ok. I don’t anyone will particularly hate it, but it’s not going to set the world on fire
[name]Gemma[/name]-I really like [name]Gemma[/name], but I’m not sold on it’s staying power yet
[name]Genevieve[/name]-Very pretty name. Not loving nn’s [name]Ginny[/name] or [name]Jen[/name].
[name]Georgina[/name]-Best one so far!
[name]Grace[/name]-one the one hand, this is an impeccable classic. On the other, it’s a bit boring.
[name]Gwen[/name]-meh
[name]Hazel[/name]-Cute. Like the family connection.
[name]Hermione[/name]-A bit too HP fangirl. Plus, do we know any cute nn’s?
[name]Hope[/name]-meh
[name]Imogen[/name]-Not a fan. I don’t like that this name is essentially a mistake, and it feels pretentious
[name]India[/name]-You know, I really love this name. I’m not brave enough, personally.
[name]Ione[/name]-Not liking the sound.
[name]Iris[/name]-Nice!
[name]Isabel[/name]-scratch
[name]Isla[/name]-[name]Love[/name] the name, but it’s TOO of the moment.
Faves: [name]Georgina[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Iris[/name] and [name]India[/name]

Narrowed things down. [name]Georgina[/name] and [name]Hazel[/name] are our G and H names. Now we just need to narrow down the I-names. I crossed off [name]Isabel[/name]. I really REALLY like it, but she would be lost in a sea of [name]Little[/name] Isabellas, Isabelles, Isabels, Izzys, and Bellas. :frowning:

[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]India[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]

Okay, the I’s:
[name]Imogen[/name] – I like it a lot, but I’m not sure that I really love it. It’s just something about the pronunciation (or, at least, the American one) that puts me off.
[name]India[/name] – I like it! (:
[name]Iona[/name]/[name]Ione[/name] – Beautiful, but I think it’ll be a bit of a struggle with the pronunciation.
[name]Iris[/name] – I love, love, [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Iris[/name]!
[name]Isla[/name] – Not my style.

Btw, did you consider maybe [name]Isobel[/name], [name]Isabeau[/name], [name]Isidora[/name]/[name]Isadora[/name], etc.? Lots of great variations! :smiley: Oh, and the names you two have chosen thus far are all gorgeous!

I love so many of these names!

G: I adore [name]Grace[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name] (which is definitely not too popular, though the possible nn [name]Gen[/name]/[name]Jen[/name] is), so they’re tied for first. [name]Georgina[/name] is pretty but I so prefer [name]Georgia[/name] or, my personal favorite, [name]Georgiana[/name]. I love [name]Gwen[/name] as a nn for [name]Gwendolen[/name] and [name]Gemma[/name] is pretty but not doing much for me in terms of standing out. [name]Gabrielle[/name] feels slightly dated, in my opinion.

H: My first choice, [name]Hazel[/name], is spunky and fresh but it is sadly but justly on the rise… I must admit, [name]Hermione[/name] does immediately make me think of [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] but most people (including me!) would regard this as a good thing. I would be more worried at the fact that [name]Hermione[/name] is rather a lot of name for a baby and the only plausible nn I can find is [name]Mimi[/name]. I’m not as big a fan of [name]Hope[/name] as others on Nameberry because while the meaning is wonderful, it feels abrupt and lacks melody to my ears: I also find it slightly dated.

I: I tend to love ‘I’ names. There’s something so sleek and stream-lined of how they look on paper. [name]Iris[/name] is my favorite, followed by [name]Isla[/name] (growing in popularity very fast) and [name]Isabel[/name] (already very popular, not to mention her sister, [name]Isabella[/name].) I used to adore [name]Imogen[/name] and am trying to fall back in love but all of the sudden, it feels strange and heavy :frowning: I’m not a fan of [name]India[/name] (too reminiscent of the country and unless you have close ties to it, I would steer away) and [name]Iona[/name]/[name]Ione[/name] (it will definitely encounter pronunciation problems and it feels awkward to me and vowel-heavy.)

Good luck! :smiley:

I do like [name]Isobel[/name]…but I’m afraid that most people will think its just a creative way to spell [name]Isabel[/name], even though I know its the legitimate Scottish variation.
I also love [name]Isabeau[/name]. Hmm.
[name]Isadora[/name] doesn’t really do it for me. I really REALLY dislike the nn [name]Dora[/name], too [name]Dora[/name] the [name]Explorer[/name].
We’ve taken [name]Imogen[/name] off the list also. Its too G-heavy…[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Garner[/name].

About [name]Georgina[/name]-We can’t decide if [name]Georgina[/name] or [name]Georgiana[/name] better with our last name. Any thoughts?

For G, i like [name]Gabrielle[/name] alot!

H:[name]Hazel[/name] in second and [name]Hermione[/name] first. I [name]LOVE[/name] the name and ill prob use it as a middle name. I dont mind the association with hp, its what made me fall in love with this awesome name.

I: [name]Imogen[/name] by far! I recently kinda liking it.

So between [name]Iris[/name] and [name]India[/name], my first thought was [name]Iris[/name], but then I paired them with your LN and I think [name]India[/name] [name]Garner[/name] has a GREAT sound! [name]India[/name] is my vote. [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Georgina[/name] and [name]Hazel[/name]-you have a great list so far!!

[name]Georgina[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], and [name]India[/name] are definitely our G, H, I names. Posting our J, K, L names soon. :slight_smile:

Thanks again, Nameberries! :wink:

I vote for [name]Gemma[/name], [name]Hope[/name], [name]Imogen[/name] or [name]Iris[/name]. I also like [name]Ivy[/name]?