Gale - help with deciding on this name please!

Both my husband and I love the name Gale for our baby boy. I know there are a lot of famous male Gale’s (and, yes, I know the Hunger Games connections but I’m an English Teacher and love literary names). My question is: do you think the feminine connotations make it unusable as a boy name? That’s my biggest concern with using Gale. Our plan would be to use a more masculine middle name (undecided still, but my father’s name is Andrew so that’s a possibility). What do you think of Gale?

Thanks in advance!
P.S. my husband isn’t worried about it at all, but I am a major overthinker!

2 Likes

I understand your reservation about [name_u]Gale[/name_u] having female associations. If I heard the name, I’d probably assume it was a female name, but if I met a little boy named [name_u]Gale[/name_u], I wouldn’t really think twice about it.

Maybe you’d like [name_u]Galen[/name_u]? It’s more distinctively male and you could still use [name_u]Gale[/name_u] as a nickname.

I love [name_u]Gale[/name_u], and think you should go with it.

It doesn’t feel too feminine to me, (one of the most “manly” men in my hometown was called Gale) and quite honestly gender-neutral names, nature names, and literary names are highly on trend now, so it’s a great time to name a boy [name_u]Gale[/name_u]!

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps :yellow_heart:

PS [name_u]Gale[/name_u] [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] is so cute!

5 Likes

I would assume a [name_u]Gale[/name_u] was a boy. Especially if I knew it was a young child or newborn.
I would only assume female if it was someone older and then it would more likely be spelled [name_f]Gail[/name_f].

4 Likes

I much prefer [name_u]Gale[/name_u] for a boy. To me it’s very gender neutral, so I can’t see that being much of an issue, especially with so many famous male Gales.

3 Likes

[name_u]Gale[/name_u] feels breezy and cool for a boy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

[name_u]Gale[/name_u] feels totally masculine to me, while [name_f]Gail[/name_f] would be feminine. I think [name_u]Gale[/name_u] is a cool and handsome choice for a boy, with a friendly, laid-back feel!

2 Likes

First of all, [name_u]Gale[/name_u] is SO AMAZING!!!

I do not think it is unusable, I see [name_f]Gail[/name_f] as a female name and [name_u]Gale[/name_u] as a male name (IDK what the world thinks tho; and I like [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] and [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] for boys so i may not be the best judge :joy:)

I don’t think that will be a problem though, and I just can’t say it enough: [name_u]Gale[/name_u] is awesome!!

And [name_u]Gale[/name_u] [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I love [name_u]Gale[/name_u] for a boy !

[name_u]Gale[/name_u] [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] is so handsome. I think if you are worried you could use [name_u]Galen[/name_u] or Gallant with the nickname [name_u]Gale[/name_u]

I would assume [name_u]Gale[/name_u] (well, really [name_f]Gail[/name_f] but they sound the same) was an older woman! But I think spelled [name_u]Gale[/name_u] it is more masculine. And I do think of the wind also so there’s a nature connection too. The idea of a little girl named [name_f]Gail[/name_f] is actually pretty adorable to me but I don’t hate [name_u]Gale[/name_u] for a boy. It’s ok.

I’ve only ever taught one student named [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] and it was a boy!

1 Like

I think Hunger Games makes the boy name [name_u]Gale[/name_u] feel more familiar. It makes me think of nature

2 Likes

If I’m being honest, I see Gale/Gail/Gayle as an older woman’s name. Perhaps that’s because I know two women with the name in their 70s and have never met a man with the name. In saying that, [name_u]Gale[/name_u] is definitely the most masculine spelling and The Hunger Games association will definitely help people to place it as a masculine name. I can’t say I’m a huge fan of it for either sex but I don’t at all think it’s unusable. Sorry not to be positive but I just know that when I posted questions when I was pregnant I wanted to hear from people with all sorts of views, not just ones who loved the names i’d picked.

1 Like

Spelling helps.

[name_f]My[/name_f] oldest daughter’s middle name is [name_f]Gayle[/name_f], so I love the name, too! [name_f]Gayle[/name_f] is usually a more feminine spelling. If I saw [name_u]Gale[/name_u], I’d probably guess boy.

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Kellie[/name_f]. [name_u]Kelly[/name_u] is just as often a surname or a boy name, so my parents used a more feminine spelling, and there haven’t been any misunderstandings so far.

With this spelling, [name_u]Gale[/name_u] is all masculine.

1 Like

While I’d assume the [name_u]Gale[/name_u] spelling (if I saw it) was probably masculine, if I heard it II would assume it was a woman. This one doesn’t work for me for a boy.

I think of [name_u]Gale[/name_u] as pretty neutral- I tend to think of [name_f]Gail[/name_f] as the more feminine spelling. It’s a nice name.

1 Like

I think it feels fresher on a boy and perfectly unisex anyway. A more masculine middle name would work well with it. Personally, I like it overall! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like it! If you love it definitely use it, you won’t regret it!

1 Like

I definitely think [name_u]Gale[/name_u] works! To me [name_u]Gale[/name_u] is more of a masculine spelling but if you spelt it [name_f]Gail[/name_f] or [name_f]Gayle[/name_f] that is more commonly feminine.

1 Like