Garon

What do you think of the name [name]Garon[/name]?

My husband suggested it last night, at first I thought no way! It sounds made up but the more I say it and think about it I kind of like it.

So what do you think? Is it really a name or is it made up sounding?

I don’t think it sounds made up at all! (It’s a hard “g” right? Like in [name]Gary[/name]?) I’ve heard both [name]Garon[/name] and [name]Jaron[/name] quite a bit and have never been able to decide how I feel about them. I don’t dislike, but it is almost like they want to be something else. I guess I’m not much help!

I’ve never heard [name]Garon[/name] before but I like it alot. My main concern is that it might be mistaken for [name]Aaron[/name] quite often.

Thanks for your thoughts tk and primashka!

I would pronounce it with a hard g like [name]Gary[/name]. I think the reason why its growing on me and I’m giving it a second thought is because my dad’s name actually is [name]Gary[/name]. I have heard [name]Jaron[/name] before and actually suggested it but it got shot down so I was surprised he likes something so similar.

I also agree it might be confused for [name]Aaron[/name] or even [name]Darren[/name]…since it sounds similar and they are much more common names.

Personally, I wouldn’t be put off by name “sound alikes” like [name]Darren[/name] and [name]Aaron[/name]. I grew up with the name [name]Tara[/name] amidst a host of Sarahs and Caras and we all managed just fine, thank you! I think this name is particularly great if you’d like to honor your dad. I also think the nn [name]Gary[/name] for when he’s older is a nice and friendly name (not too old or anything).

My cousin and his wife actually had a baby not to long ago (a little over a year, I think), and they named him [name]Garren[/name] [name]Thane[/name]! I really disliked it when I first heard it, but it’s kinda grown on me. I don’t know that I’d use it, but it is kinda cool. Like [name]Darren[/name], with a “G”, right? I am more biased toward the [name]Garren[/name] spelling, but [name]Garon[/name]'s okay, I guess. I know a [name]Jaron[/name], and a [name]Jaren[/name], and a [name]Garren[/name], but it seems weird to use [name]Garon[/name] or Garen, since I have seen my little second cousin.

I remember thinking that both [name]Garren[/name] and [name]Thane[/name] sounded really made up (way too close to [name]Darren[/name] and [name]Shane[/name]! I thought they just changed a letter for each name), so I checked. Apparently, they’re both legitimate names. I don’t know about the [name]Garon[/name] spelling, just because that’s not the spelling my cousin used. But I do think it’s really uncommon, but familiar enough to work. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I really like [name]Garon[/name] as it reminds me of an old favourite of mine, Garion. What do you think of it? Neither of them seem made up to me possibly because they sound so familiar to me now. I also went to school with a [name]Galen[/name] and worked with a [name]Jaron[/name], but I think I’m going off-topic there.

It could grow on me, but I don’t love it at first glance. My first reaction actually wasn’t [name]Aaron[/name]/[name]Darren[/name] but [name]Sharon[/name]/[name]Karen[/name], so consider whether that is a concern to you or not. That doesn’t appear to be a widespread reaction so far, certainly. [name]Garren[/name] does look more masculine to me because of [name]Darren[/name] and [name]Warren[/name].

And maybe because of [name]Garrett[/name]…I really like the name [name]Garrett[/name] (this is probably how [name]Garon[/name] could grow on me : D), if it’s a [name]Gary[/name] variation you’re looking for, and if you like it OK.

Good luck!

Thanks for all of the inputs and suggestions!

jesba - I never thought of the [name]Sharon[/name]/[name]Karen[/name] thing…that doesn’t concern me as much as [name]Aaron[/name]/[name]Darren[/name] probably because I have family members named [name]Aaron[/name] and [name]Darren[/name] but not anyone that we see often enough for it to really matter.

I also think I like the Garen/[name]Garren[/name] spelling better. I’ll have to bring that up; he is weird about spellings though so he might shoot the other options down.

Right now we have 4 boy name options and [name]Garon[/name] is at the bottom of that but it”s still growing on me!

Thanks again for all your thoughts!