Gemma

[name]Hi[/name] berries!

I’m the gal with [name]Gigi[/name] due in [name]April[/name] and have posted several times. [name]Gigi[/name] is what we call her now and what we intend to call her most of the time. For her formal name we are starting to lean towards [name]Gemma[/name] [name]Grace[/name] versus [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (which I’ve written about several times.)

I have not taken commentary on [name]Gemma[/name] yet so please let me know what you think. I love the name and [name]LOVE[/name] the meaning “precious gem”. I know this is a popular UK name but never really heard it here in the US.

Thoughts, please…

Funny that you mention how it’s popular in the UK but not so much in the U.S. The only [name]Gemma[/name] I’ve met in the US is British! I can see the appeal of the name, but it’s not a fave. It sounds a tad nick-name-ish to me, but I know that’s been sort of the thing over in the UK lately.

I think if you love it, go for it! It’s your baby and your chance to give her a name you love.

I love the name [name]Gemma[/name]…it has been a favorite for a long time. doesnt seem to appeal to everyone though…
[name]Ginger[/name] is very cute…but I see it being more a nn to [name]Virginia[/name].
I love nn but also love the original names that go with them…then you get the best of both worlds

[name]Gemma[/name] [name]Grace[/name] is my pick of the two… [name]Virginia[/name] [name]Grace[/name] would be lovely with nn [name]Ginger[/name] or [name]Gigi[/name]

[name]Hi[/name] jenevieve,

thanks for your comments. what i’ve learned is there is no name that appeals to everyone! :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name] jenevieve,

thanks for your comments. what i’ve learned is there is no name that appeals to everyone! :-)[/quote]

Very true (:

[name]Love[/name] [name]Gemma[/name]! It’s one of my favorites. I also like [name]Ginger[/name], but more as a nn to [name]Virginia[/name]. I’d vote for [name]Gemma[/name] [name]Grace[/name] over [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Grace[/name] for sure.

I like the name [name]Gemma[/name] a little more than [name]Ginger[/name]. [name]Ginger[/name] seems like a good name for a pet, but definetly cute. I have heard of a girl named [name]Genevieve[/name] with the nn [name]Gigi[/name]. [name]Genevieve[/name] is a longer name with more nn possibilites and seems a little more grown up for an adult.

[name]Hi[/name]! I really love the name [name]Gemma[/name], and like you said, it’s relatively unheard of in the U.S…

I think that [name]Gemma[/name] [name]Grace[/name] is very pretty, and a great source of [name]Gigi[/name]. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I think [name]Gemma[/name] would be great in the US.

As you say, [name]Gemma[/name] has been and gone in the UK some time ago. Was indeed very popular for quite some time. Now the youngest [name]Gemma[/name] I know here is about the graduate high school and the oldest from the trendy [name]Gemma[/name] years are in their 30’s.

I think it would be a lovely fresh choice for the US.

All the best!

thanks jill-berry for commenting! i’m starting to get it sorted out :slight_smile: i know you are a really good source here!

Really love [name]Gemma[/name] [name]Grace[/name]!! Very pretty and a perfect name for the nn [name]Gigi[/name]!!

I too prefer [name]Gemma[/name] to [name]Ginger[/name]…it feels more “grown up”

I have a [name]Gemma[/name] [name]Rose[/name], my firstborn, and I [name]LOVE[/name] her name and get so many comments about how pretty it is. I call her [name]Gem[/name]-[name]Gem[/name], [name]Gemmy[/name], and sometimes, for silly-ness [name]Gem[/name]-[name]Bob[/name].

We live in [name]Texas[/name] and have met 3 other child Gemmas in the past 6 years. People who are euro-savvy will recognize her name immediately, and people who aren’t may think it is an odd name.

I think it is a lovely choice, and I have a lovely [name]Gemma[/name] to go with it. Not one day of regret have I had over her name.

I love [name]Gemma[/name] - very pretty, and much prettier than [name]Ginger[/name], which was the name of my first dog.

Thanks! We are in [name]Texas[/name] too and have met no other Gemmas here. my husband works in london and south africa so i was concerned a lttle about that.

I love gemma rose! so pretty. did you see that the latest [name]Bond[/name] Girl is a [name]Gemma[/name]?

I think [name]Gemma[/name] is a sweet name that makes a nice alternative to [name]Emma[/name] for a baby in the US.

As canadianne said, [name]Gemma[/name] has past its bloom for new babies here in the UK. It reigned supreme in the 80s and hung on through the 90s but has become slightly dated now along with the likes of [name]Nicola[/name] and [name]Lisa[/name]. The are lots and lots of Gemmas in their 20s here though :slight_smile:

Funnily enough, [name]Gemma[/name] became popular here not long after we had our [name]Emma[/name] boom (which was HUGE here in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s) so I can see other people in the US cottoning on to [name]Gemma[/name] soon enough.