Get me to Mika!

Okay so I’m really starting to like the name [name_u]Mika[/name_u], and while I know it can be a standalone name, it feels incomplete to me. What are some names that [name_u]Mika[/name_u] could be short for? I’m open to any suggestions! [name_f]TIA[/name_f]!!

I feel like you can pull it off with most M names. The ones that come to mind are:

[name_f]Michelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Mckayla[/name_f]/[name_f]Michaela[/name_f]
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_f]Millicent[/name_f]
[name_f]Miranda[/name_f]
[name_f]McKenna[/name_f]
[name_u]Meridith[/name_u]
[name_f]Milena[/name_f]
[name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u]
[name_f]Maxine[/name_f]
[name_f]Mirabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Mildred[/name_f]
[name_f]Mariah[/name_f]
[name_u]Mickey[/name_u]
[name_f]Marilyn[/name_f]

I know a [name_f]Tamika[/name_f]. [name_f]Mikayla[/name_f] also comes to mind.

You could also get it from a Mi- Ka- fn/mn combo:

[name_f]Mila[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Miranda[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Milena[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Mia[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
etc.

[name_f]Mikaela[/name_f] or any variant ([name_f]Mikayla[/name_f], [name_f]Michaela[/name_f], etc.) are the most common

Others not mentioned:

[name_f]Michalina[/name_f]
[name_f]Michelina[/name_f]
[name_f]Micheline[/name_f]
Mikkeline

My two cents:

If you’re going to use [name_f]Michaela[/name_f] or a variant of [name_f]Michaela[/name_f], please use something that is closer to the original spelling than not.
In a sea of [name_f]Makayla[/name_f], [name_f]Mikayla[/name_f], and [name_f]McKayla[/name_f]'s, I was the only [name_f]Michaela[/name_f] growing up and that was the only comfort I had in having a pretty common name!
Also those trends died pretty fast.

I would suggest:
[name_f]Michaela[/name_f]
[name_f]Mikaela[/name_f] (Scandinavian)
[name_f]Mikhaila[/name_f] (Russian)
[name_f]Mikele[/name_f] (Scandinavian)

[name_f]Mikayla[/name_f]/ [name_f]Michaela[/name_f] is not really my style, though it is a lovely name! I just knew way too many in middle and high school.

I was trying to find something a little more unique, but it’s proving kind of challenging. I love [name_u]Mika[/name_u], just not on its own. I’m starting to think I may have to trade it out for [name_f]Mila[/name_f] since I get more choices like [name_f]Camila[/name_f], [name_f]Camellia[/name_f] etc. I do love [name_u]Mika[/name_u] though so that saddens me.

I was thinking [name_f]Mariska[/name_f] could get [name_u]Mika[/name_u] as a nn and it hasn’t been suggested yet, I’m just not loving that either. Pn. [name_f]Mar[/name_f]-ish-ka. Thoughts??

[name_f]Mariska[/name_f] is a good option. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_u]Mischa[/name_u]? I have a [name_u]Micah[/name_u] and to avoid “[name_m]Mikey[/name_m],” I ended up calling him [name_u]Mischa[/name_u] as a nickname, followed by Meesh, and what sounds like “Meeshka.” People always think his name is [name_u]Mika[/name_u].

I think [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] is lovely, maybe [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]? I think that has a nice ring to it. Or maybe a variation on [name_f]Annika[/name_f] or [name_f]Amica[/name_f]

Yes I do like [name_u]Mischa[/name_u] but worry about pronunciation issues.

[name_f]Miranda[/name_f] feels very dated to me for some reason. I do love annika though!

[name_f]Mariska[/name_f] was my first thought. There’s also [name_f]Minka[/name_f], [name_m]Micaiah[/name_m], and [name_u]Michal[/name_u]/[name_m]Mikal[/name_m]. I often see commercials for an insurance company called [name_f]Amica[/name_f]. Any name with a ‘mee’ sound could have the nn [name_u]Mika[/name_u].

My sister’s name is [name_f]Mikayla[/name_f], which could easily shorten to [name_u]Mika[/name_u]. :slight_smile:

I know several people who go by [name_u]Mika[/name_u]! One is simply named [name_u]Mika[/name_u] and I think it works very well as a stand alone name. The others are [name_f]Tamika[/name_f], [name_f]Annemieke[/name_f], and [name_f]Marielle[/name_f].

Some farther round-about names could be [name_u]Dominique[/name_u] or [name_f]Dominica[/name_f]. Also [name_f]Marika[/name_f] or [name_f]Monica[/name_f]. And I am sure this is not your style, but… [name_f]Jamaica[/name_f] :slight_smile: