Gigi - is this a Grandmother name?

[name]Hi[/name] friends.

We have nicknamed our baby girl [name]Gigi[/name]. She is due in [name]April[/name]. We plan on calling her this most of the time and even now refer to her as [name]Gigi[/name]. To us she IS [name]Gigi[/name] already!

I went to dinner with a friend last night who’s mother goes by “[name]Gigi[/name]” for her grandkids. I’ve heard this before and sort of ignored it, but my friend said that it is a common “grandma name” like [name]Nana[/name] or others.

Could this be a problem or is my paranoia kicking in again…

[name]Gigi[/name] is nn for [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Grace[/name] :slight_smile:

My niece and nephew call my grandmother GG - she is their Great-Grandmother, and that’s what it stands for. I call my grandmother Grandma, but as I understand it in the modern age, kids have all sorts of pet names for their grandparents. [name]Gigi[/name] might be one of them. I have also heard Meema… can’t think of any others. I think my niece and nephew also call my mother by her first name, Grandma ___ rather than when all my grandparents were alive, we called them Grandma and Grandpa, and in the third person, adding their last name to distinguish which we were off to visit. It’s for this reason my mother doesn’t want to be called the same thing as her mother-in-law!

I guess that’s a long way of saying that [name]Gigi[/name] might be some people’s pet name for some grandparents, but by no means universal - it’s not the first thing I think of. I think it is still ok to use for your daughter and not a definitely grandmother pet name! Another example would be D.J. - that stands for disc jockey popularly, but if those are someone’s initials, people know that’s their name and don’t think they are a DJ. No confusion.

This caught my eye because [name]Gigi[/name] is in fact MY grandmother’s name. However, though we spell it this way, we pronounce it ghee-ghee. I don’t see it said G.G. or zhee-zhee as grandmother names at all, so no worries. It’s a cute nickname.(:

I think it’s adorable! And not a common grandma pet name in the area I live in.

Well since you asked, it is what my son calls my mom, and is also what I called my great grandma. So, technically it is a name that can be used for a grandma, but that doesn’t bother me. My friends little girl is named [name]Georgia[/name] and we all call her [name]Gigi[/name]. It totally suits her and nobody has ever said anything.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. It would really only be weird if there was a grandma in your family who you referred to as [name]Gigi[/name].

We called my husband’s grandma G.G. after we had kids, but I don’t think of [name]Gigi[/name] as a Grandmother name.

I’ve never heard of it as a grandma name. I only know one [name]Gigi[/name] and she is a firecracker and not grandmotherly in the least!

I personally don’t associate [name]Gigi[/name] with grandmas, and think it’s a very cute nickname. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I’ve never associated it with grandmas either. To me, it’s fresh and fiery. I love it!

I know a couple grandmas that are “[name]Gigi[/name]'s” and my son couldn’t pronounce “Aunt [name]Jenny[/name]” and he said [name]Gigi[/name] instead, so now we all call my sister [name]Gigi[/name]!!

I don’t see [name]Gigi[/name] as a grandmother name at all. My family actually calls me [name]Gigi[/name] (and I’m not a grandmother or grandmother age) because when my younger sister was a baby she couldn’t pronounce my name, so she called me [name]Gigi[/name] and it stuck. I think it’s cute.

Also on the TV show [name]Gilmore[/name] Girls a few years ago there was a little girl called [name]Gigi[/name] and it was cute on her.

If I ever have a [name]Georgia[/name], her nickname would be [name]Gigi[/name] :slight_smile:

Nope not at all its a really cool nn and as i child she will love it. Having two names makes kids feel special. I often lamented that my parents hadn’t thought of a nn for me. As an [name]Abrianna[/name] i always wanted to be called [name]Anna[/name] or [name]Ann/name but alas my parents always intervined and insisted i was called by my real name. Later on as a teen my friends called me [name]AB[/name]. It caught on and many of my teachers called me that and for once a nn stuck! So even if YOU nn her [name]Gigi[/name] she could always end up with a different nn as she grows older. Its more of her firends and pop-cultures choice than yours. But around the house [name]Gigi[/name] is adorable and i think it is an adorable nn for a [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Grace[/name] which is a beautiful name all by itself.

A girl in my high school was [name]Giovanna[/name], nn [name]Gigi[/name]. She was spunky and funny.

i like it. my older sister is called [name]Gillian[/name] (pr jillian) and is knwon as [name]GiGi[/name] (thou i call her lady [name]GiGi[/name] (lady gaga) )

it doesnt sound grandmothery at all. it sounds nice.
gd luck!!!

I’ve never heard someone call their grandmother [name]Gigi[/name], and so I think it is probably just a quirky thing within that family. I adore [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Grace[/name], and the nn [name]Gigi[/name] is so sweet.

Good luck!

My cousin’s daughter calls her paternal grandma “[name]Gigi[/name]” because she just would not call her “Grandma.” I guess she didn’t want to confuse her two grandmas…But when I see [name]Gigi[/name], I don’t think of a grandmother. It’s very cute and spunky! Adorable on a little girl =)

My daughter and her cousins call my grandmother, their great-grandmother, [name]Gigi[/name]. Also, my friends call their grandmother GG.

I love the nn!! I have a friend, [name]Ginger[/name] that goes by [name]GiGi[/name] :slight_smile: