Girl name for Baby #3 with Scottish roots

Hello all,

I posted recently asking for opinions on a names that would give us [name_f]Ella[/name_f] as a nickname in the Girl Names Sub-forum and we got great advice.

Unfortunately, we’ve had to go back to the drawing board. There is a baby boom occurring on my husband’s side and essentially of the 5 babies being born 4 months apart 3 were going to be called [name_f]Ella[/name_f]. I suppose that’s the challenge when you have a family name that everyone loves. Our little girl is due to arrive first, so really we had first dibs, but I’m not interested in starting WWIII. I also had been wavering on my attachment to the name we had selected, [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] nn[name_f]Ella[/name_f], since I just didn’t feel like it fit with her siblings. It’s a bit stuffier and not the least bit reflective of our Scottish heritage.

[name_u]Baby[/name_u] girl has 2 older brothers with very traditionally Scottish names, [name_u]Findlay[/name_u] [name_m]Angus[/name_m] and [name_m]Duncan[/name_m] [name_u]Glenn[/name_u]. Our last name is also very Scottish with spelling that isn’t intuitive (think MacEachern)

I had brought up [name_f]Isla[/name_f] as an option and both my husband and I love it. We were thinking of using [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_f]Catriona[/name_f] or [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] for baby girl.

Would love your thoughts and feedback!

Also, going into delivery I hate only having one option just in case she arrives and just isn’t an [name_f]Isla[/name_f]. Any suggestions for Scottish girl names are welcome. We prefer feminine options and something that isn’t too challenging for [name_u]North[/name_u] Americans. I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f], but know I would be subjecting baby to a lifetime of correcting people.

[name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] is great with boys

Other ideas

[name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] [name_f]Katrina[/name_f]
[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_f]Katrina[/name_f]
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f] [name_f]Catriona[/name_f]
[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] [name_f]Catriona[/name_f] “[name_f]Elise[/name_f]”
[name_f]Euna[/name_f] [name_f]Catriona[/name_f]
[name_f]Greer[/name_f] [name_f]Catriona[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] “[name_f]Lorna[/name_f]”
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_f]Catriona[/name_f]
[name_u]Skye[/name_u] [name_f]Katrina[/name_f]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_f]Catriona[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsie[/name_f] [name_f]Catriona[/name_f]
[name_f]Bonnie[/name_f] [name_f]Katrina[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_u]Fifer[/name_u] [name_f]Catriona[/name_f]
[name_u]Paisley[/name_u] [name_f]Catriona[/name_f]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u] [name_f]Katrina[/name_f]

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

[name_u]Finley[/name_u] & [name_m]Duncan[/name_m] are darling. [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_f]Catriona[/name_f] is gorgeous & just perfect. I like [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]/[name_f]Ella[/name_f] a lot too, but [name_f]Isla[/name_f] seems like a much better fit. I wouldn’t worry about [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] being too complicated. Yes, it will for sure be mispronounced. But it’s the price to pay to have a beautiful unique name. [name_f]Isla[/name_f] is getting really popular, but I don’t for see that happening w/[name_f]Eilidh[/name_f].

Other ideas of at least Gaelicish names:

[name_f]Anwen[/name_f]/[name_f]Ani[/name_f]/[name_f]Winnie[/name_f]

[name_f]Arwen[/name_f]/[name_f]Winnie[/name_f]

[name_f]Aoibhe[/name_f]

[name_f]Aine[/name_f]/[name_f]Ani[/name_f]

[name_f]Branwen[/name_f]/[name_f]Winnie[/name_f]

[name_f]Caoimhe[/name_f]

[name_f]Eibhlin[/name_f]

[name_f]Eilis[/name_f]

[name_f]Eowyn[/name_f]/[name_f]Wynnie[/name_f]

[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]/[name_f]Ellie[/name_f](maybe not!)/[name_f]Winnie[/name_f]

Finuala…or maybe just [name_f]Nuala[/name_f] if you don’t want to repeat initials.

[name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f]/[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]/[name_f]Gigi[/name_f]

[name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f]/[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]/[name_f]Gigi[/name_f]

[name_f]Isobel[/name_f]-Scottish spelling! I like the nns Ibbi or [name_u]Izzy[/name_u].

[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] nn [name_u]Kit[/name_u] or [name_f]Kitty[/name_f]

[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]

[name_f]Maire[/name_f]

[name_f]Maren[/name_f]

[name_f]Maureen[/name_f]/[name_f]Molly[/name_f]/[name_f]Maisy[/name_f]

[name_f]Niamh[/name_f]

[name_u]Sloane[/name_u]

[name_u]Wynn[/name_u]/[name_f]Wynnie[/name_f]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

Thank you both for your input as well as your suggestions. I’m thinking [name_f]Ilsa[/name_f] is a good fit for us, despite its popularity. We will keep [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] as our second choice since it really is so beautiful! I just needed that reassurance to to feel confident in my selection. Still undecided on the spelling of the middle name, but that can be decided as the due date approaches.

Thank you again!

I love your boys names, I think [name_f]Isla[/name_f] works well with them!

Some other ideas:
[name_f]Ava[/name_f]
[name_f]Laura[/name_f]
[name_f]Aria[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
Lilidh or [name_f]Lilith[/name_f]
[name_f]Moira[/name_f]

Really love [name_f]Isla[/name_f] for you, or how about the island spelling [name_f]Islay[/name_f] — too challenging?

Other Scottish beauties:

Vaila
[name_f]Ailsa[/name_f]
[name_u]Mirren[/name_u]
Mhairi or [name_f]Mairi[/name_f]
Tiree
Marsaili
[name_u]Skye[/name_u]
[name_m]Jura[/name_m]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Agnes[/name_f]
[name_f]Bonnie[/name_f]
Eriska
Airlie

[name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_f]Catriona[/name_f] or [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] are wonderful options. Both of these combinations are well balanced and complement her brothers’ names. [name_f]Isla[/name_f] is just a vowel away from [name_f]Ella[/name_f] which a really nice thought too!

Some other names you might like as a backup: [name_f]Rhona[/name_f], [name_f]Alana[/name_f], [name_f]Kenna[/name_f], Evina, [name_f]Nessa[/name_f], [name_f]Iona[/name_f] “[name_f]Nonie[/name_f],” [name_f]Brenna[/name_f], [name_f]Kyla[/name_f] and [name_f]Leana[/name_f].