girl named Matthew?

So I met a girl named [name]Matthew[/name].
yes you read that right.
She goes by [name]Mattie[/name], and for us lazy speakers, it sounds just like [name]Maddie[/name]. I thought it was odd, but she came up with a nn for herself that works.
Curious on your thoughts of this

Horrible. Some names just need to be left to the boys, and this is one of them.

this kind of thing is what makes many of us who dislike gender-bending names upset. it REALLY seems like her parents must have wanted a boy. [name]Mattie[/name] is a perfectly cromulent nickname and all, and if she’s well-adjusted that’s good. but there’s just way too much potential for something like that to cause all kinds of hurt or other issues - it’s just a waste of a naming opportunity, a waste of both a good boy name and a chance to use a beautiful girl name.

I guess the nickname is fine, but still…That’s terrible…I know a girl named [name]Michael[/name]. There are some names that just belong to their own gender.

I don’t get it at all. In fact, I have a pretty big problem with it. Unisex names are one thing. Using a name like “[name]Logan[/name]” for a girl is really pushing the limit… but [name]Matthew[/name] should be left on the boy’s side and that’s that. I’m tired of people pretending gender doesn’t matter. In many ways, it does!

Terrible. My sister’s name is [name]Krystofer[/name] (goes by Krysti) and she’s always hated it. Some names are unisex, and some [name]AREN[/name]'T. This falls in the latter category!!

I also know a female [name]Carson[/name]. My feeling on this is the same as the other 2!

[name]Matthew[/name]? Oh dear. Like others have said, it’s one thing to use a unisex name. That’s fine, it’s not an uncommon practice. [name]Even[/name] a few modern male names like [name]Logan[/name] or [name]Taylor[/name] are fine (pushing it, but fine). But a well established, Biblical male name? No. If she has any siblings, what are they named? I just can’t.

• [name]Athena[/name]

Sometimes I feel like parents just really want a boy and then when they don’t get one, they just use the name on their girl…

The fact that it doesn’t go the other way bothers me and says a lot about our society.
I was hesitating about using [name]Morgan[/name] for a son, even though it’s a boys’ name and started out as such. I am considering it more and more though. It’s almost like you have to start preserving or reclaiming boys’ names!

Yuck. I have a friend named [name]Jordan[/name], and she’s complained about having a boys name. And at least that one is relatively common as a name for both sexes. But [name]Matthew[/name]? No.

Wow, that is something that is strange to me. My father in law is named [name]Matthew[/name] and we would consider it for a boy but not for a girl. It just seems like they had a boy’s name set but could not find a girls name. It reminds me of a girl in my freshman year of college that was named [name]Timothy[/name]. She was very pretty and popular so she was able to pull it off, but some names should just be left to the boys.

I asked my friend about it and this is what she said: “Wow. It sounds like they really wanted a boy. And then when they had a girl, they sighed with dissapointment and said ‘Let’s name her [name]Matthew[/name] anyway.’”

• [name]Athena[/name]

So it’s weird because when it comes to raising kids in general, I don’t believe in gender stereotypes. If your son wants to wear a dress or if your daughter wants to play with G.I. Joes then I don’t see any problem. When it comes to names though, well the only thing you know when a baby is born is it’s sex (male or female). If that child was born female but later identified with the male gender then that’s when, if that person chooses, that person can change his name from let’s pretend [name]Christina[/name] to [name]Christopher[/name]. Because of that, I feel that’s why we need to keep male and female names separate. I understand that some male names, such [name]Ashley[/name], have popular female endings to them which helped the name to switch BUT other names such as [name]Matthew[/name]…ya not so much. Besides, it’s unfair to your child if they constantly have to explain to people that their name is [name]Matthew[/name] but that they are a girl. And if you really wanted to use the name [name]Matthew[/name] but only had one child who was born a girl then compromise with the name [name]Matilda[/name] or LET IT GO (or adopt a boy or get a male pet and name it [name]Matthew[/name]) BUT whatever you do [name]DON[/name]'T NAME YOUR DAUGHTER [name]MATTHEW[/name]!!

What a crime, a name crime. [name]Aren[/name]'t there enough girl names to pick from without having to steal a very masculine boy name?! I understand wanting to go against the grain with naming sometimes, but there is a point where it goes too far.

No, no, no. There are many great unisex names to pick from for your baby, but I don’t agree that [name]Matthew[/name] is one of them. Personally, this reminds me of how [name]Jessica[/name] [name]Simpson[/name] named her baby [name]Maxwell[/name] (even if I recall, she claimed it was a family name?) - I just can’t get past it.

[HR][/HR]well, actually it’s not a case of “people these days” believing gender doesn’t matter. That is, unless you count the 1600s as “these days”, since the name was pretty common for girls then. I don’t think I’d make a daughter that (I just don’t like the name enough) but it’s not horrible. But that’s just my 2 cents.

I would assume that she was named [name_f]Matilda[/name_f].

It is very selfish of the parents to name their child this. Whether it was for a political statement, or because they wanted a boy etc, they know that it will receive judgement and possible bullying. [name_m]Matthew[/name_m] is gorgeous as a name when placed firmly in the boys category. Not for girls. There are female-like beautiful alternatives like [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] that they so easily could have gone with to make her life easier. Parents need to remember it isn’t your name you’re deciding, think about how it will impact your child’s life.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] no. I like unisex names but this is a strong, masculine boys name. It’s insulting, like her parents don’t believe girls can be strong and powerful so by giving their daughter a boys name, she will hopefully adopt those ‘male’ traits eyeroll.