"Girl" Names for Boys

I understand that many parents want to name their girls boys names because of the masculine qualities or the belief that people will think she is a he on applications. However, I think this just downplays feminine qualities and strength, power, fortitude and ambition are all those qualities. So if you were gonna name a boy without thinking about the gender behind the name, what would it be?

For me I’ve always loved [name_u]Paris[/name_u], [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] for a boy

[name_f]Lois[/name_f]
[name_f]Tamar[/name_f]
[name_u]Winter[/name_u]
[name_u]Piper[/name_u]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]

I think [name_u]Paris[/name_u] has a history of use as a male name dating back quite a ways, and [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] more recently. I think [name_f]Rose[/name_f]/[name_f]Roisin/name_f could work as a boys names pretty easily, too, just based on sound. I can’t really think of any decidedly feminine names that I love for a boy but I’m sure there are lots that would work! Especially in the nature/word names family (ie. jade, clover, dove, verity)

Everybody says [name_u]Sasha[/name_u] is a girl’s name but I’ve always loved it for a boy and have kept it on my boy’s list for years.

I also like [name_u]Hilary[/name_u], but that’s mostly due to [name_m]Captain[/name_m] [name_u]Hilary[/name_u] [name_m]Becker[/name_m] from Primeval lol.

[name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_u]Morgan[/name_u], and [name_u]Avery[/name_u] aren’t too bad either, but I do prefer [name_u]Avery[/name_u] for a girl.

I mean, I really like [name_u]Luca[/name_u] and [name_u]Finley[/name_u], which I guess could be considered girls names, but they’re really unisex.

There’s no classically feminine names I can think of that I prefer/like on a boy, I’m not sure why- It’s likely because of associations. A genuinely feminine name I like is [name_f]Arwen[/name_f], and I could potentially see that name on a male, if my associations left my mind.

My favourite has always been [name_u]Ashley[/name_u]! :slight_smile:

[name_u]Casey[/name_u]
[name_u]Jess[/name_u]
[name_u]Cassidy[/name_u]
[name_m]Adrian[/name_m]
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]
[name_f]Tory[/name_f]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u]

Most unisex names I prefer on a boy. I love [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u], [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], [name_u]Sailor[/name_u], [name_u]Sloane[/name_u], [name_u]River[/name_u], [name_u]Harper[/name_u], and [name_u]Kit[/name_u] on boys. I don’t think there are any girls names I like on boys. And babattee-I don’t even consider [name_u]Luca[/name_u] to be unisex. It’s 100% a classic boys name to me!

I really like [name_u]Morgan[/name_u], [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] and [name_u]Avery[/name_u] for a boy. [name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u] isn’t too bad either, although I do know a couple of girls with that name. Some other ones I like are [name_u]Ellis[/name_u], [name_u]Auden[/name_u] and [name_u]Sidney[/name_u].

[name_u]Luca[/name_u] is a feminine Hungarian name, a form of [name_f]Lucia[/name_f]! I still prefer it for boys though.

I was just thinking about this to myself. There’s a lot of unisex/girl names that I can appreciate for boys even if I don’t necessarily like them. [name_u]Avery[/name_u] comes to mind, as does [name_f]Jade[/name_f].

I have a GP crush on [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f] for a boy. I also think [name_f]Lark[/name_f] would work well for a boy. I knew a boy named [name_f]McKenna[/name_f] who pulled it off really well.

1 Like

I love softer names for boys. I have several on my own list:
[name_u]Dove[/name_u]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_f]Jade[/name_f]
[name_u]Noel[/name_u]
[name_f]Sapphire[/name_f]
[name_m]Kalixto[/name_m]
Nicca
[name_f]Praise[/name_f]
Psalm
Hymn
[name_f]Sparrow[/name_f]
[name_u]Fallon[/name_u]
[name_u]Shay[/name_u]
[name_u]Indigo[/name_u]
[name_u]Remy[/name_u]
[name_u]Ariel[/name_u]
[name_u]Aspen[/name_u]
[name_u]Micah[/name_u]
[name_m]Azaiah[/name_m]
[name_f]Jada[/name_f]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u]
[name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]
[name_f]Bayleigh[/name_f]
[name_u]Sloane[/name_u]
[name_u]Ashley[/name_u]
[name_f]Gayle[/name_f]
[name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_u]Harper[/name_u]
[name_u]Sasha[/name_u]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lark[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f]

I think many feminine names can work for boys, just like masculine names work for girls.

1 Like

[name_u]Piper[/name_u], [name_u]Eden[/name_u], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_u]Winter[/name_u] are all tre cute!

[name_u]Sasha[/name_u] is cute for a boy :smiley:

From the unisex (tending more to girls) category

[name_u]Ashley[/name_u] - I wish would become as popular for boys as it was for girls.
[name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]
[name_u]Dana[/name_u]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_u]Harley[/name_u]
[name_f]Jade[/name_f]
[name_u]Lindsay[/name_u]
[name_u]Kim/name_u
[name_f]Nova[/name_f]
[name_u]Payton[/name_u]
[name_u]Reese[/name_u]
[name_u]Scout[/name_u]
[name_u]Tatum[/name_u]

From the pink only list
[name_f]Amber[/name_f]
[name_f]Brynn[/name_f] (I know there is [name_u]Bryn[/name_u] as a male version but I prefer the double nn spelling)
[name_f]Erin[/name_f]
[name_f]Hailey[/name_f]
[name_f]Hope[/name_f]
[name_f]Lauren[/name_f]
[name_f]Paige[/name_f] (as with [name_f]Brynn[/name_f], I prefer [name_f]Paige[/name_f] vs [name_u]Page[/name_u] just in how it looks)
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Summer[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_u]Leslie[/name_u] comes to mind. [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], although that one’s more of a true neutral. And I really used to like [name_m]Nelson[/name_m] nn [name_f]Nell[/name_f] or [name_u]Nelly[/name_u].

I’m not sure what you’re basing this on. If you ask actual parents who like/use unisex or gender-bent names on girls, I think you’ll find that they are drawn to the same things that draw you to, say, the idea of [name_f]Rose[/name_f] on boy–which is to say the sound or imagery of the name. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a parent actually appreciate this style because they want their daughter to have “masculine qualities” or somehow game a system by briefly confusing a hiring manager. Maybe in the 80’s that was the case, but not now.

That said, I do like [name_f]Kylie[/name_f]/[name_u]Kiley[/name_u]/Kiely on a boy, as well as [name_f]Isobel[/name_f], [name_f]Jayne[/name_f], [name_f]Joy[/name_f], [name_f]Alys[/name_f], [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f], [name_f]Bryony[/name_f], and [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]/[name_f]Dorthy[/name_f].

1 Like

I’ve come to really like, if not personally prefer, softer and more unisex names on boys. High on my list are [name_u]Indigo[/name_u], [name_u]River[/name_u], [name_f]Starling[/name_f], [name_u]Marley[/name_u], [name_m]Adrian[/name_m], [name_u]Jem[/name_u], and [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u] (or [name_m]Cassius[/name_m]) with the nn [name_u]Cass[/name_u]. I’d love to meet boys named [name_u]Sasha[/name_u], [name_u]Bryn[/name_u] or [name_u]Emery[/name_u].

The only true “girl” I would dare use is [name_f]Summer[/name_f], I really love it on a boy, but being a season I personally do not perceive it as feminine.

There are a lot of girls names that are beginning to fade that I think would be great on a boy, but I just wouldn’t consider at this present time. [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] and [name_u]Madison[/name_u] on boys would be adorable if they weren’t already so tied to the females of my generation.

Actually, I know of at least two current girls younger than 2 that were named boy sounding names primarily to give them a leg up in life. The study about male names being more likely to get interviews was directly cited when they told me the name for their little girl.

[name_u]Sydney[/name_u] and [name_u]Leslie[/name_u]
I like [name_f]Rosen[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Rose[/name_f] for a boy.

I actually really like [name_u]Kelly[/name_u], [name_u]Darcy[/name_u], [name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u], [name_u]Madison[/name_u] and [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] as boys names. I don’t think I’d actually use them. My significant other is perfectly open to letting our son play with traditionally girl toys etc. but he was not a fan of feminine sounding boys names. And it was already enough of a battle naming [name_m]Oliver[/name_m].

I do not like this at all. I also don’t really like boy names for girls either, although I do like gender-neutral names. I cannot picture a little boy named rose at all. And what if the boy ends up hating his name and/or is embarrassed of it? You don’t want to put them in a position like that. To be embarrassed or ashamed of something out of their own control!