Girls names to go with siblings

I need some serious name help! We have a son named for his grandfathers (a non negotiable for my husband)-Robert (we only call him Robbie) and two daughters-Elsie and [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] (whom we call Evie). We are pregnant with our third girl and feel completely lost on names. It wasn’t our intention to end up with the same letter for our girl’s names but I guess we are just drawn to E names :woman_shrugging:. [name_f]Do[/name_f] we keep with the E names or break it up now? [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite name now is [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] but I don’t feel like we can use it with it being so close to [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] in every way.
We gravitate towards classic, vintage, feminine names with strong meaning. Some that we like (though not one in particular stands out) are: [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], [name_f]Etta[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], and Abiyah (that last one is a bit different I know).
Any suggestions of names that would go with our other three or opinions on using [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] would be greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

I’d skip another E name. [name_f]Rhea[/name_f] or [name_f]Flora[/name_f]?

1 Like

[name_m]Welcome[/name_m]!

Maybe use [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] for the middle?

A few options that fit your vibe/ sibs’ names:

[name_f]Georgette[/name_f] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Therese[/name_f] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Maren[/name_f] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Cyrene[/name_f] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]

Hopefully these help! :slight_smile:

Personally, I would use another E name because I find that pattern pleasing. Alternatively, you could use another R name to “match” [name_m]Robbie[/name_m] if you’re feeling uninspired by Es. I’m with you that using [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is repetitive, as [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] and [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] both come from [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

2 Likes

~ [name_f]Vera[/name_f] came to mind!

~ [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] has a strong meaning! Tilly/Tillie is very sweet.

~ Can’t say I know much about [name_f]Aniyah[/name_f] as a name, but the concept of Abi/Abbie does fit in well with your set!!

~ other random ideas: Helen/Helena or [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]

** I personally do think [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is a little too close.

Maybe you could use [name_f]Liza[/name_f], without the E, to get the sounds you like, but unmatch it a little from [name_f]Elsie[/name_f].

[name_m]Or[/name_m] [name_f]Lilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]

As much as I love [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], the fact it’s a variant of [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], like [name_f]Elise[/name_f], would stop me using it.

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f] and [name_f]Florence[/name_f] are nice, but if they’re not right, how about…

[name_f]Ada[/name_f] / [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Abilene[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivian[/name_f]
[name_f]Keziah[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Azaria[/name_f]
[name_f]Constance[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Arielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Lois[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f] / [name_f]Ruthie[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Maggie[/name_f]
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f] / [name_f]Susie[/name_f]
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
[name_f]Heidi[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]

I adore the name [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], but it is too close to [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]. It’s a bit like using both [name_f]Beth[/name_f] and [name_f]Betsy[/name_f]. I really like [name_f]Violet[/name_f] with your other names. And I really like the suggestion of using [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] as a middle name.

I agree with others in not using Eliza. If you stick to the E theme and you might want to if this is your last (planned) child, how about:

Edith
Estella
Esther (nn Esti)
Emilia

Or, how about an R name to finish the set:

Rosetta nn Etta could be good!
Romilly or Ramona (nn Romy or straight Romy)
Rose
Rosalie
Rosamund (Rosie or Romy)

Or names that sound like your other names (with similar dominant letters or sounds)

Violet (yes!)
Charlotte (yes!)
Flora
Abigail (this works better than Abiyah with your style and to link to Robbie and Evangline)
Imogen
Helen/Helena (nn Laynie/Leni)
Matilda

Thea and Florence are really nice but I don’t think works as well to tie in the set. Madeline is OK - Robbie and Maddie - a lovely name, but maybe I’m twitchy over the line sounds being different between Evangeline (een) and Madeline (lun or lyne).

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] is my favorite out of your list! I think it just “fits”. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] would be my next choice.

Other ideas:

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] :heart:
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Annie[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] :heart:
[name_f]Nellie[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] :heart:
[name_f]Agnes[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]

[name_m]Robert[/name_m] = [name_m]Robbie[/name_m]
[name_f]Elsie[/name_f] = [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] = [name_f]Evie[/name_f]

How about

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] = [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] = [name_f]Lottie[/name_f]
Emily/Emilie = [name_f]Emmie[/name_f]

Yes, as the above poster says, you need something that ends or has a nickname ending in -ie, like Robbie and Evie.
Charlotte called Charlie (or Lottie)
Madeline nn Maddie
Ellen nn Nellie :purple_heart:
Helena nn Lanie
Anastasia nn Annie
Susannah nn Susie
Josephine or just Josie :purple_heart:
Margaret or just Maisie :purple_heart:
Rosemary or just Rosie

[name_m]Welcome[/name_m] to Nameberry! I would consider an R name. [name_m]Robbie[/name_m], [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Evie[/name_f], and….

[name_f]Ruby[/name_f]
[name_f]Roxanne[/name_f] (Roxy as a nn is cute)
[name_f]Rumi[/name_f]
Rose/Rosemary/Rosalie
[name_f]Rhoda[/name_f]

I’d echo what others have said on picking an ‘R’ name and ending in ‘ie’ either as a nickname or in full.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite by far is [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], which is such a lovely name on its own or as a nickname for [name_f]Rose[/name_f] / [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] / [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] / [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] / [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]

1 Like

I personally don’t think you have to keep up the E names, but just in case you do, I threw some in the list I gave you.

[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Emelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Elinor[/name_f] (Spell however you prefer)
[name_f]Evelyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] (Similar to Elsie)
[name_f]Eliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Eden[/name_f]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] some of these help!

I think you could go with an ‘e’ name if theres one that you really love, but I dont think you have to if there’a not a name you love. But if you do decide to go with an ‘e’ name i would avoid any name starting in ‘el’ or ‘ev’

Something like…
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Eden[/name_f]
[name_f]Eira[/name_f]
[name_f]Emeline[/name_f]
[name_m]Emory[/name_m]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f]
[name_f]Enna[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_f]Eugenie[/name_f]
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]

Some non ‘e’ name suggestions…
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Camilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]

I think you should not choose another E name, especially since you already have a child whose name doesn’t start with E. And since your other kids go by nicknames most of the time, something with a good nickname would be ideal.

From your list, I think [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] would be the best choice. It is a classic vintage feminine name like you said you wanted, a good meaning “free”, and a choice of either [name_m]Charlie[/name_m] or [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] if you want a nickname.

Some other names you might like:
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] or [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] (meaning: noble, and you could use [name_f]Addie[/name_f] or [name_f]Adele[/name_f] as a nickname)
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] (meaning: she who brings happiness, and you could use [name_f]Bea[/name_f] or [name_f]Trixie[/name_f] as a nickname)
[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] (meaning: shining or excelling, and you could use [name_f]Cassie[/name_f] or [name_f]Andie[/name_f] as a nickname)

Huge congratulations!

I think [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is too close to Elsi3 it’s like having [name_m]Bram[/name_m] + [name_m]Abe[/name_m] in the same sibling set. Maybe [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] has a middle name? If it was me I would have another R name to complete the sibling set it would be a nice way to match up and include R0bert.

Suggestions:
[name_f]Rose[/name_f] names would be lovely! [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], [name_f]Rosanna[/name_f], Rosalie/Rosalia, Rosette/Rosetta, [name_f]Roisin[/name_f], [name_f]Rosamel[/name_f], [name_f]Rosa[/name_f], [name_f]Rosina[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalba[/name_f] + [name_f]Roseanne[/name_f]
[name_f]Romilly[/name_f]
[name_f]Renee[/name_f]
[name_f]Regina[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruby[/name_f]
[name_f]Rebekah[/name_f]
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Renata[/name_f]
[name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]
[name_f]Roxana[/name_f]
[name_f]Rafaela[/name_f]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps

[name_f]My[/name_f] first thought was to use an R name ! That was you have 2 names and 2 E names. Maybe something like

[name_f]Rhea[/name_f] ( Raya)
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f]
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Raina[/name_f]

Agree with this R could be a really nice option to round out the set [name_f]Renée[/name_f] is a personal favorite. I don’t have a problem with another E but also agree with @somemelodioussonnet about both being diminutives of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. Maybe

[name_f]Enid[/name_f], [name_f]Enna[/name_f], [name_f]Elena[/name_f], [name_f]Eliora[/name_f], [name_f]Elinda[/name_f]

Also liking [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] for you.