Girls!

Hey hey, I’ve already decided that [name_f]Lily[/name_f] will probably be the name of my future daughter. But should she have a sister, these are the names that I find enticing:

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] — I love its classy, literary style and how full it sounds. However, the “[name_f]Char[/name_f]” part worries me. Charred meat? Chards of glass? And the last syllable rhymes with an unfortunate curse word. This saddens me & I fear I won’t be able to shake off this association :frowning:

[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]: [name_f]Lovely[/name_f], but read somewhere that it seems pretentious, and then there’s the whole [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] thing…

[name_f]Violet[/name_f]: [name_f]Lovely[/name_f], but the closeness to “violent” does discourage me. Last syllable rhymes with s***.

[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] — Witchy wonderfulness and Celtic folklore make it a stunner for me. Springy and classic, I love it… but I fear the nn “[name_f]Rina[/name_f]” is too close to renal. And the nn “Sabs” akin to “scabs.”

[name_f]Anna[/name_f] — Not my fav, but I literally can’t find anything wrong with it sound association wise.

[name_f]Emily[/name_f] — Sweet and growing on me; it was so ubiquitous when I was growing up, I hated it. But I see its appeal now. No bad associations or weird things I can make out of its sounds.

I would find it hard to ignore the issues I’ve brought up. [name_f]My[/name_f] two favorite names are the first two, but like I said… I’ve managed to discourage myself by thinking of schoolyard taunts.

Should I pick something lovely with possible word associations I despise, or should I go with the simple and neutral names that I vowed as a kid to never choose lol?

Please rank and/or advise :slight_smile:

:sparkles::leaves::sparkles::leaves::sparkles:Thanks!! :sparkles::leaves::sparkles::leaves::sparkles:

2 Likes

I really like all the names you’ve suggested. And I do think you may be overthinking the schoolyard taunts thing a bit.

I’ve never associated [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] with charred anything, or even thought for a second that the second syllable sounds like the curse word you mentioned.

Kids are really not that smart, and unfortunately if they pick a target they will find something to tease them about regardless of the child’s name.

I think your choices are lovely and all of them pair very well with your future [name_f]Lily[/name_f] :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love [name_f]Violet[/name_f]! and [name_f]Violetta[/name_f]

1 Like

Honestly, I dont find that kids really make fun of names that much, especially when they are quite common and mainstream.
The only names kids really make fun of is (sadly) quite ethnic names. I doubt a [name_f]Violet[/name_f] or a [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] will be taunted about their name.
I love [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] especially, it is so beautiful!
Go with something lovely and that you adore!

3 Likes

I am a [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] I’ve never got [name_f]Char[/name_f]. I think the [name_f]Lotte[/name_f] part is stronger in my name.

2 Likes

Thank you, friend! The OCD is strong in this one :grimacing:

1 Like

I think in [name_m]Britain[/name_m], it’s pronounced “[name_f]Char[/name_f]-laught.” Whereas in the US, its “[name_f]Char[/name_f]-lit.” I love it both ways honestly🥰

1 Like

Ah yep I’m [name_f]English[/name_f] and it’s always [name_f]Char[/name_f]-lut kinda thing?

1 Like

I love [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_f]Lily[/name_f] together. The way I pronounce it it doesn’t seem like [name_f]Char[/name_f] with a hard C(as in charred) but a softer c. [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] also has the nn options of [name_f]Brina[/name_f] and [name_f]Bri[/name_f] which you might like better.

1 Like

Love [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_f]Lily[/name_f] together!! Also like [name_f]Anna[/name_f], love [name_f]Violet[/name_f] it’s a bit too flowery paired with [name_f]Lily[/name_f] for me personally🙂.

1 Like

Sabrina and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] are lovely

1 Like

Favorites to least:
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]

Juliet
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Emily[/name_f]

The space is where I stop liking them. Although, I didn’t think of even half of the issues you’ve found with each name, if that helps.

1 Like

These are all lovely choices, and I don’t think they’re bullying potential. Kids definitely teased others about their names when I was in school, but I think it’s less common now. It is not the fault of the name (in practically all cases) that leads to teasing. I think all of these names are lovely and perfectly usable!

1 Like

[name_f]Anna[/name_f] is my favorite, but I don’t see issues with any of these name!

1 Like

Hi there.

I love [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. That’s a great choice.

Here are my thoughts on the rest of your list:

Charlotte-I completely agree w/you here. I like the sound of [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], because the ‘ette’ sound at the end is classy & elegant. But ‘[name_f]Char[/name_f]’ isn’t as lovely. And I really dislike the name [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], which Charlottes get a lot. Firstly, it’s better for a boy name, & secondly it has a hard ‘Ch’ sound, & [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] has a soft one. Plus, [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is super over done, so that’s another factor to consider.

Juliet-I don’t think that it sounds pretentious. I think that it’s lovely & elegant. It is strongly associated w/Romeo & [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], & even though that has a terrible ending…it’s still a classic romantic story. It’s not like [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] was an evil character, you know? [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] has the nice ‘ette’ sound like [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], but [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] sounds softer in my general. And it’s less popular.

Violet-I feel the same way as you here too. I love it, because it’s classic & has the sweet flower association, but it does sometimes sound like violent to me too.

Sabrina-I like this one. It is witchy & folklore-y…& springy! I like those adjectives. It’s well known but not as popular as some of your other favorites. I don’t love [name_f]Rina[/name_f] or Sabs as nns. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you need a nn? You could maybe do [name_f]Bree[/name_f]? [name_f]Sally[/name_f] or [name_f]Sadie[/name_f]?

Anna-It’s a nice solid classic, but I don’t think that you should use it if you don’t love it.

Emily-Another sweet, smart, friendly classic. Nothing wrong w/it at all, but it doesn’t seem to be your favorite. And it’s a little bit close to [name_f]Lily[/name_f].

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re overthinking it. People aren’t going to notice that the last syllable of [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] rhymes with anything. I’m not even sure what that curse word is. Same with [name_f]Violet[/name_f]. No one will notice the last syllable rhymes with sh*t. They’re both lovely names. [name_f]My[/name_f] personal favorite is [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f].

1 Like

Yeah, I definitely overthink! I am trying to come up with the perfect name, but the only ones that I can’t twist into something bad are too neutral for my tastes. I love [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] too :slight_smile: I’m looking at [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] rn, but [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] has my heart currently. [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] would be my third daughter if I had that many kids :heart:Thank you!

1 Like

Can I just say, I love your responses! I always perk up when I see you’ve commented because I know I’m going to get a thorough and thoughtful perspective from you :two_hearts:

2 Likes

I have a [name_f]Lily[/name_f]! Absolutely adore her sweet name. When naming our second daughter, every name you mentioned above (except [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]) was high on our list but we actually decided against each of them for the very reasons you mentioned. I couldn’t shake the [name_f]Char[/name_f] sound or that [name_f]Violet[/name_f] was one letter off from “violent”. Therefore, we decided on [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] for [name_f]Lily[/name_f]’s sister. We often get compliments on the two girls’ names and while I didn’t originally want matching first initials, I’ve come to love the sweetness of it. If we have another daughter, we will likely go with [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] nn [name_f]Libby[/name_f], [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] nn Livi, [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lettie[/name_f] or maybe even [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lottie[/name_f]

2 Likes

Wonderful names! Are they short for [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] or straight [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]? I’m trying to decide myself :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: