Glee

Sat here in my UK living room watching Glee and have been thinking about the characters’ names.

I can’t help but think that there are very few 16 yr old cheerleaders called [name]Quinn[/name], football players called [name]Finn[/name] and teachers in their late 20s called [name]Emma[/name]. It looks like writers have chosen popular names from the modern day, which i just dont think fit.

Maybe i’ve got this all wrong…what do you think? x

I looked up the stats. In 1980 .0298% of girls were named [name]Emma[/name]. In 2008% names in that range (other than spelling variations of more popular names) are [name]Linda[/name], [name]Anne[/name], [name]Patricia[/name], [name]Hallie[/name]. [name]Emma[/name] is an established name, just old-fashioned when she was born. And I do know a 22 year-old girl named [name]Quinn[/name]. But yes, [name]Quinn[/name], [name]Finn[/name], and [name]Emma[/name] are rather trendy.

I am an [name]Emma[/name], but i am in the UK. Loads of girls between the ages of 22 and 30 are called [name]Emma[/name]! I

just find it a little co-incidental, that there is a girl in her late 20s (presumably) called [name]Emma[/name] when [name]Emma[/name] has recently become the top name in the US.

They do also have some more original names, like [name]Kurt[/name], maybe that will become trendy now??

I agree, a lot of the names on Glee (which I love!) are rather trendy. Of course there ARE probably people that age named this, but not too many. But to be fair- some like [name]Rachel[/name] and [name]William[/name] are classics, while [name]Kurt[/name] and [name]Mercedes[/name] are rather uncommon. I doubt that [name]Kurt[/name] will become trendy though.

I almost named my 11 year daughter [name]Quinn[/name]. I don’t think 5 years earlier [name]Quinn[/name] would have been so popular.