Gloria?

[name]Just[/name] a few questions:
[name]Do[/name] you like it?
Does [name]Gloria[/name] Churchyard sound ok?
Does it fit with sister [name]Florence[/name] ([name]Flossie[/name]/[name]Floss[/name])?
What middles would you pair with it?
What nickname (if any) would you use?

Thanks! [name]Eli[/name] x

[name]Do[/name] you like it?: I like it okay. It’s a little bit dated, but it’s a fine name.

Does [name]Gloria[/name] Churchyard sound ok?: Yes, it sounds fine.

Does it fit with sister [name]Florence[/name] ([name]Flossie[/name]/[name]Floss[/name])?: No. They’re far too close in my opinion, with the prominent ‘lor’ sound in both names.

What middles would you pair with it?: Maybe something like [name]Gloria[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Gloria[/name] [name]Jane[/name], or [name]Gloria[/name] [name]Caroline[/name].

What nickname (if any) would you use?: Probably none, but maybe [name]Ria[/name] or [name]Glory[/name]. I’ve also heard Glo.

[name]Do[/name] you like it?: I agree with PP, its a little dated, but that I suppose can make it handy since there’ll only be one [name]Gloria[/name] looking up when you call her name out

Does [name]Gloria[/name] Churchyard sound ok?: It sounds really…churchy to me. I guess I’m thinking of all the hymns with ‘gloria’ in them.

Does it fit with sister [name]Florence[/name] ([name]Flossie[/name]/[name]Floss[/name])?: If you call her [name]Flossie[/name], then yes, but with [name]Flora[/name] or [name]Florence[/name] they have similar sounds I would avoid, as noted by pp

What middles would you pair with it?: [name]Gloria[/name] Churchyard is a lot of syllables, so something a little shorter in the middle might be nice though nothing is jumping to mind

What nickname (if any) would you use?: [name]Ria[/name] probably, Glo sounds funny to me.

Thanks, am a little surprised with the comments about [name]Florence[/name] and [name]Gloria[/name] sounding similar??? [name]How[/name] do you pronounce them? [name]Florence[/name] has a very short “o” sound as in hot and [name]Gloria[/name] has a much longer “or” sound. Good point re: the overly churchy thing but thats inevitable with our surname!

Thanks, [name]Eli[/name]

I actually love the name [name]Gloria[/name], and was just thinking about it the other day. Maybe it’s just me, but I can just picture that name on a little girl :slight_smile:

I love the name [name]Gloria[/name]. Absolutely [name]LOVE[/name] it. I would use it if my husband liked it. I think it’s one of the most beautiful names ever.

It sounds fine with your surname.

[name]Gloria[/name] [name]Helaine[/name]
[name]Gloria[/name] [name]Clarice[/name]
[name]Gloria[/name] [name]Jasmine[/name]
[name]Gloria[/name] [name]Margaux[/name]

[name]Gloria[/name] and [name]Florence[/name] go fine together.

I could never think of any nns that I like more than [name]Gloria[/name] in full. [name]Ria[/name] might work though.

I think it is time for a [name]Gloria[/name] revival but I feel that with surname Churchyard it is a bit over the top in first name spot.

Thanks, am a little surprised with the comments about Florence and Gloria sounding similar??? How do you pronounce them? Florence has a very short “o” sound as in hot and Gloria has a much longer “or” sound. Good point re: the overly churchy thing but thats inevitable with our surname!

So, do you say [name]Florence[/name] more like flaw-rence? I say them both with the “long” or sound. I suppose your way does make it begin the same as floss, but I’ve never heard that way.

I’m not really able to look at [name]Gloria[/name] and offer an honest opinion. It’s my mother’s middle name, and she hates it.

Heres how I (and everyone in the UK) pronounces [name]Florence[/name]: How to pronounce Florence Nightingale in English - Definition of Florence Nightingale in English and we say [name]Floss[/name] like this: How to pronounce floss in English - Definition of floss in English

[name]Do[/name] you say floor-ens in the US then? [name]Ah[/name] well they do say you learn something new everyday!

I’m Canadian, and yes, I do say [name]Florence[/name] like the word floor.

Some people around me can make distinctions I can’t. I learned English with a minimal set of phonemes. I can’t make the cot-caught distinction or the [name]Mary[/name]-marry-merry distinction.

To me, that sample pronunciation of [name]Florence[/name] sounds like something between flaw and floor, though I have trouble describing it because I can’t replicate it. The pronunciation of floss sounds like something between flaw and fluh (not a word, but I can’t think of one that sounds like what I need). I guess that’s the cot-caught distinction at work?

I like the name [name]Gloria[/name]. My grandpa’s second wife is a [name]Gloria[/name] and she’s one of the nicest women I know! We call her “G”.

As an aside, I’m also Canadian and would have pronounced [name]Florence[/name] with the same “OR” sound as [name]Gloria[/name]. [name]Even[/name] with that I would think that the “G” and “F” sounds at the beginning of each are distinctive, not to mention the completely different sounds they end with (the exception being the potential “[name]Flora[/name]” nn which you don’t use!).

I can’t get “[name]Flo[/name] and Glo” out of my head, even with different nicknames. And with your last name, [name]Gloria[/name] seems a little much for me.

What about using [name]Gloria[/name] as a middle name instead?

Fair enough! It is a bit ott religious with our surname!
Thanks for your opinions! [name]Eli[/name] x