Good names gone girl

Why is it that all the great boys names become popular for girls. I’ve been looking at names for my next child and love the name [name]Quinn[/name]. It seems there are a lot of girls being named [name]Quinn[/name] now though. I already have a son named [name]Elliot[/name] and am horrified that it is going to the girls too. At what point is a name no longer masculine enough for boys? What boys names have you liked that have turned into girls names?

I think that unless a name is so far gone that the average person doesn’t recognize it as a boy’s name (or at least unisex) it is still fair game for a boy. Examples of names that are too gone for me are [name]Evelyn[/name], [name]Meredith[/name], [name]Madison[/name], and in some areas [name]Ashley[/name]. Names that are still being used in fair numbers for both genders (such as [name]Riley[/name] and your example of [name]Quinn[/name]), as well as names popular with girls in previous eras that are still thought of by many as unisex (such as [name]Robin[/name] and my name of [name]Kelly[/name]) are still perfectly acceptable for boys [name]IMO[/name].

I still know many boys name [name]Quinn[/name]. I can probably name 3 or 4 off the top of my head. Most of them are younger than me and I’m 14, so that says something, I would think… :smiley:

Boys names for girls is one of my pet peeves. Pretty soon there won’t be any boys names left if this popular trend keeps up. I don’t think I could stomach a female named [name]John[/name]!!! [name]Quinn[/name] is truly a unisex name so even though I think it sounds better on a girl, I think it would be safe to name a son this name too. [name]Elliot[/name] is being given to girls now but I believe most people still perceive it as a boys name.

Masculine names for girls is a pet peeve of mine. My co-workers have daughters named:

[name]Logan[/name], [name]Ryan[/name], [name]James[/name] and [name]Sawyer[/name]

Poor girls.

What possesses someone to name their daughters [name]Logan[/name], [name]Ryan[/name], [name]James[/name] and [name]Sawyer[/name]? Everyone will assume they are boys. It sounds to me like their parents wanted four boys but got girls instead. Then they decided to give their daughters the names they had picked out for four sons instead of taking the time to pick out girl’s names.

I’ve actually seen [name]James[/name] for a girl spelled [name]Jaymes[/name]. In my opinion, throwing in a y doesn’t make a boy name more feminine.

Names that I once loved for a boy but won’t use now are

[name]Avery[/name]
[name]Addison[/name]
[name]Reece[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Cameron[/name]
[name]Bailey[/name]
[name]Emerson[/name]
[name]Emory[/name]/[name]Emery[/name]