Goodbye Elias, hello Verner?

We’re team green due [name_u]January[/name_u]. I’ve been 85% sure of [name_u]Elias[/name_u] until I feel I’ve heard it every where all of a sudden? I thought I had picked a uncommon name. We’re in the southern US. This will be a sibling for [name_m]Zebediah[/name_m] ([name_m]Zeb[/name_m]). Listing off my names to my hubs last night, he picked [name_m]Verner[/name_m] as a favorite. I do love historical,Biblical and Germanic/Scandi names, but [name_m]Verner[/name_m]? I have no idea what to pair [name_m]Verner[/name_m] with, last name is 2 syllable and rhymes with [name_f]Fauna[/name_f], so I’ve stayed away from 2 syllable first names typically. Here’s the rest of my boys list. [name_u]New[/name_u] suggestions and pairing FN with MN help greatly appreciated. I woukd love another longer FN with a short NN like [name_m]Zebediah[/name_m] - [name_m]Zeb[/name_m] and no names beginning with S or J please.

Abram
[name_m]Augustus[/name_m]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_m]Erland[/name_m]
[name_m]Eldon[/name_m]
[name_m]Errol[/name_m]
[name_m]Garth[/name_m]
[name_m]Ingram[/name_m]
[name_m]Ivar[/name_m]
[name_m]Verner[/name_m]
[name_m]Valentin[/name_m]

Would you consider keeping both: [name_m]Verner[/name_m] [name_u]Elias[/name_u]?

2 Likes

At first I thought: [name_m]Verner[/name_m] is great! You should go for it! But your surname is 2 syllables and rhymes with [name_f]Fauna[/name_f], and [name_m]Verner[/name_m] [name_f]Fauna[/name_f] doesn’t sound the best (although your actual last name could be different enough that it’s not super rhymey). I really like [name_u]Elias[/name_u], but if you’re not sure then maybe:

Cyrus ([name_m]Cy[/name_m])
[name_m]Phineas[/name_m] (Phin, [name_m]Fin[/name_m], [name_u]Finn[/name_u])
[name_m]Mendel[/name_m]
[name_m]Bramwell[/name_m] ([name_m]Bram[/name_m], [name_m]Wells[/name_m])
[name_m]Brahms[/name_m]
[name_m]Malachi[/name_m] ([name_u]Mal[/name_u], [name_f]Mally[/name_f], [name_m]Al[/name_m], [name_u]Kai[/name_u])
[name_m]Amadeus[/name_m] ([name_m]Ames[/name_m], [name_m]Mads[/name_m], Deus, [name_m]Ace[/name_m])
[name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] (Ig, [name_m]Iggy[/name_m], [name_u]Nat[/name_u], [name_m]Nate[/name_m])
[name_m]Herman[/name_m](n)
[name_m]Thurston[/name_m] ([name_m]Thor[/name_m])
[name_m]Hector[/name_m] ([name_m]Tor[/name_m])
[name_m]Lazarus[/name_m] ([name_u]Aza[/name_u], [name_m]Russ[/name_m], [name_m]Zeus[/name_m])

Combo ideas:

Phineas [name_m]Verner[/name_m]
[name_m]Augustus[/name_m] [name_m]Brahms[/name_m]
[name_m]Valentin[/name_m] [name_m]Garth[/name_m]
[name_m]Valentin[/name_m] [name_m]Ivar[/name_m]
[name_m]Malachi[/name_m] [name_m]Abram[/name_m]
[name_m]Lazarus[/name_m] [name_m]Eldon[/name_m]
[name_m]Amadeus[/name_m] [name_m]Bramwell[/name_m]
[name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] [name_m]Erland[/name_m]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u] [name_m]Ingram[/name_m]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u] [name_m]Hector[/name_m]
[name_m]Lazarus[/name_m] [name_m]Thurston[/name_m]
[name_m]Augustus[/name_m] [name_m]Herman[/name_m]
[name_m]Phineas[/name_m] [name_m]Ivar[/name_m]
[name_m]Malachi[/name_m] [name_m]Verner[/name_m]
[name_m]Amadeus[/name_m] [name_m]Errol[/name_m]
[name_m]Valentin[/name_m] [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]

I like [name_m]Verner[/name_m]. Me personally, I prefer the sound of [name_m]Warner[/name_m].

What about:
[name_m]Vernados[/name_m] [name_u]Royce[/name_u] (nn [name_m]Verner[/name_m])
[name_m]Verner[/name_m] [name_u]Basil[/name_u]
[name_m]Vladimir[/name_m] [name_m]Bernard[/name_m] (nn [name_m]Verner[/name_m])
[name_m]Levern[/name_m] [name_u]Elias[/name_u] (nn [name_f]Vernie[/name_f])
[name_m]Warner[/name_m] [name_m]Emanuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Vladimir[/name_m] [name_m]Bertram[/name_m]
[name_m]Redvers[/name_m] [name_m]Ephraim[/name_m]
[name_m]Verner[/name_m] [name_m]Llewellyn[/name_m]

I think [name_u]Elias[/name_u] and [name_m]Zebediah[/name_m] sound great together! To be honest, I’m not a fan of [name_m]Verner[/name_m]. It feels too different from [name_m]Zebediah[/name_m] and sounds really dated/unattractive to me, sorry. I also think that a three-syllable first name works better with two-syllable last name. I’m going to suggest [name_u]Thaddeus[/name_u], [name_u]Jericho[/name_u] and [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m].

3 Likes

I want to second this entirely!

1 Like

@elanorelle interesting thought! I’ll have to say it aloud for a while to see if I like the flow, at first it seems a little mix matched. Like two different styles of names stuck together.

@Gia.berry right? The more I say [name_m]Verner[/name_m] with our last name, the more it just doesn’t work. I think with a 2 syllable LN, a 1 or 3+ syllable FN work better. I actually just found [name_u]Finn[/name_u] today, and with the meaning I was really liking it. I just can’t wrap my head around [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] not being stuffy/nerdy. [name_m]Bramwell[/name_m] and [name_m]Thurston[/name_m], however! Thanks for pairings as well, really like:
[name_u]Elias[/name_u] [name_m]Ingram[/name_m]
[name_m]Valentin[/name_m] [name_m]Ivar[/name_m]
[name_m]Augustus[/name_m] [name_m]Brahms[/name_m]

@river_dweller I like [name_m]Warner[/name_m] as well, but I hear ‘Warning’ when I say it. Liking [name_m]Emanuel[/name_m] and [name_m]Redvers[/name_m] is one I haven’t heard! I’ll have to look that up.

@fearlessfirefly don’t they work well together? Maybe I just need to get over it being a more common name than I initially thought. I agree about syllables.

4 Likes

They do! Popularity shouldn’t discourage you from a name you love. I always say: “if you love it, use it!” :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

[name_m]Verner[/name_m] isn’t very appealing to me personally. I know a little boy named [name_u]Valor[/name_u], and I definitely prefer that! I also love [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], [name_m]Ivar[/name_m] and [name_m]Valentin[/name_m] from your list!

1 Like

Ooo I love [name_u]Elias[/name_u]. I am here in the UK and haven’t met one single [name_u]Elias[/name_u]. It’s a name we will use of when we TTC and third Is a boy. I’ve not heard of [name_m]Verner[/name_m] before. I don’t think it’s nearly as nice as [name_u]Elias[/name_u] myself. :grimacing: I do really like [name_u]Valo[/name_u]? It’s a Finnish word but it’s pronounced like [name_u]Valor[/name_u] I believe?

I prefer [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] or [name_m]Valentin[/name_m]!

1 Like

I really love [name_u]Elias[/name_u], but if popularity is an issue then I understand that! [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] seems like an awesome alternative that goes well with [name_m]Zebediah[/name_m]. I like that they have the same number of letters and start with A and Z. [name_m]Just[/name_m] make sure you won’t regret not using [name_u]Elias[/name_u] down the line!

Ezekiel seems like a natural sibling to [name_m]Zebediah[/name_m]. I think it’s a widely known name but isn’t common (at least in my part of the USA- the PNW), and [name_u]Zeke[/name_u] could be a cute nickname? IMO, [name_m]Verner[/name_m] and [name_m]Zebediah[/name_m] seem less like siblings than [name_u]Elias[/name_u] or another biblical name and [name_m]Zebediah[/name_m].

Ezekiel [name_m]Verner[/name_m]
[name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m] [name_m]Abram[/name_m]
[name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m] [name_u]Elias[/name_u] (if you don’t mind alliterations)

1 Like

I’m also in the Southern US and [name_u]Elias[/name_u] is definitely popular here. Personally, I like [name_m]Verner[/name_m], it was the name of an ancestor of mine, so it’s a cool association for me.

But if you love [name_u]Elias[/name_u] more, go with that! It does go really nicely with your older son’s name!

@may.rose [name_u]Valor[/name_u] is interesting! Maybe it work as a middle.

@anon25197097 yes, [name_m]Verner[/name_m] seems a little dull next to [name_u]Elias[/name_u], doesn’t it?

@elleplume [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] is definitely a strong contender. I love the nn [name_u]Gus[/name_u]. [name_m]Zeb[/name_m] and [name_u]Gus[/name_u] are cute. I also love the A and Z element! I know, [name_u]Elias[/name_u] has been such a favorite of mine for so long, I feel a bit sad giving up on it.

@8ememaisonsoleil I do love the name [name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m] on its own, but something about [name_u]Zeke[/name_u] and [name_m]Zeb[/name_m] seems too matchy to me. I agree keeping with our Biblical theme would seem more cohesive though.

@ARead ok, glad it’s not just me thinking that. But, its still not a [name_m]John[/name_m],[name_m]Steven[/name_m] or [name_u]Michael[/name_u] right? Surprisingly, we’ve met two other [name_m]Zeb[/name_m]’s this summer, go figure. Maybe its just our area, lol.

1 Like

I’ve got an A and a Z in my boys first letter of their names lol. I really think Elias is great but it’s not very common here in the UK? Not sure where you are located but sometimes that’s worth thinking about.
I can see you have a zebediah I think there are a few names out there which is as grand as big brother’s name maybe?
A name I thought of which I think sound great with big bros name is,
Tobiah/Tobias

Verner doesn’t appeal to me. I can’t imagine it on a baby/little boy to be honest. [name_u]Elias[/name_u], on the other hand, is lovely - timeless and easily wearable. [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] is cool too, although I prefer [name_u]August[/name_u].

2 Likes

For me, it sounds like the Vernors soda pop.
I like [name_u]Elias[/name_u] a lot better—so suave and handsome!

1 Like

If you like [name_u]Elias[/name_u], what about [name_u]Ellery[/name_u]? I have a 20-something male cousin in [name_m]Boston[/name_m] who loves his name

@mistymorning [name_u]Ellery[/name_u] is interesting. It seems more feminine to me, maybe because I know a few female [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] and [name_u]Emory[/name_u]. Although, looking at the [name_u]Ellery[/name_u] name page, I discovered [name_u]Auberon[/name_u] as another name to add to the list.