Gosh, TALK ME OUT OF THIS NAME!

I actually quite like [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] on a boy. He could always go by [name_m]Ace[/name_m] or [name_u]Alex[/name_u] if he doesnt like it

1 Like

Alexis is a primarily male name in Europe and Latin [name_u]America[/name_u]. While it is more commonly used for girls in [name_f]English[/name_f]-speaking countries, I think it’s probably fine for a boy. [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] Ohanian seems to have no problems with his name (his middle name is [name_u]Kerry[/name_u] too, wow). Plus, there are many nickname options e.g. [name_u]Alex[/name_u], [name_m]Alec[/name_m], [name_u]Lex[/name_u].

1 Like

I’d be worried that any [name_u]Alex[/name_u] name would easily trigger the Amazon [name_f]Alexa[/name_f]. I can only see those kinds of technologies becoming more pervasive. Which is a shame, [name_f]Alexa[/name_f] was one of my top names before Amazon went and ruined it for the world.

1 Like

I’d assume [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] was a girl, 100%… maybe this is a regional thing.

1 Like

i know a boy called [name_u]Alexis[/name_u]

1 Like

I’ve known [name_u]Alexis[/name_u]’ of both genders so there’s no need to talk anyone out of anything.

1 Like

I love [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] on a boy as well!

Although it’s more common for girls nowadays, it’s still in the top 500 for boys, and is falling out of popularity for girls. Bullying and misgendering could be an issue, but as it becomes less common as a girl name, and as softer boys names become more popular, and as cultural norms in general change, I don’t think you’re necessarily cursing your child or anything, especially with the nn option [name_u]Alex[/name_u] available. Plus, the only famous [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] I can think of is [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] Ohanian, who is male.

But, if you decide against it anyway, [name_m]Alexei[/name_m] is a cool alternative.

1 Like

Alex is a cute nickname. :slight_smile: I already know that my firstborn boy will be called EMi almost exclusively ([name_u]Emmett[/name_u] being the legal name), so I don’t want to do that again. We’ll just call him ALexis & let him pick his nickname; if he asks us to call him [name_u]Alex[/name_u] than will-do.

Also, do you think I have to go for a traditional middle name? [name_u]Lark[/name_u] is one I like (& is my first pick) but [name_m]Danniel[/name_m] is also an option.

Also, thoughts on NNs: [name_m]Al[/name_m], [name_u]Allie[/name_u], [name_u]Lexi[/name_u], [name_u]Lex[/name_u], Lis, & as you said, [name_u]Alex[/name_u].

I think [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] on a boy is fine! To me it’s still gender neutral not exclusively feminine.

1 Like

Personally I feel like [name_u]Alex[/name_u], [name_u]Alexis[/name_u], [name_f]Alexa[/name_f], and all related names are going to die a slow death for girls because of [name_f]Alexa[/name_f] the Amazon AI. On a boy I don’t think it’s an issue but on a girl any -lex- name could be a problem. So I say go for it. [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] does have history of being used for boys and it’s going to get less popular for girls.

3 Likes

CAn I double-like this, @baffled_jessica?

1 Like

I knew a guy named [name_u]Alexis[/name_u], it wasn’t weird. I think it’s used for boys in the Latino community moreso?

I have the opposite problem you have, in Spain [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] is a boys name, whereas I love it for a girl!
I know a lot of [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] who are boys, I don’t think it would be bullying material

2 Likes

I LOVE [name_m]Alexei[/name_m] tbh so I’d definitely consider that. There’s a ton of good nicknames that can come out of anything that has -[name_u]Alex[/name_u] in it. Also, like many others here, I’ve met male Alexises and they were okay! [name_f]My[/name_f] #1 boy name right now is [name_u]Eden[/name_u] and I’ve gotten mostly compliments on the idea, so I wouldn’t fear.

1 Like

In the UK [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] would be assumed to be a boy actually but could really be either or (from [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]) - given that this name originates from a historically male figure and the boy/girl version of the name have the same nicknames, I wouldn’t jump to the conclusion that you’ve given your child a feminine name. Alternatively maybe [name_m]Alexei[/name_m] is a close variation of the same name you could consider perhaps?

1 Like

(Ahh, the first person that says Alexises instead of [name_u]Alexis[/name_u]’s.)

1 Like

I know an [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] and [name_u]Alexi[/name_u] who are both girls, but [name_u]Alex[/name_u] on a boy is great! I don’t see anything wrong with [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] on a boy, especially if you use the nickname [name_u]Alex[/name_u].

1 Like

I’m not going to talk you out of it cause I really don’t think it will be that bad. When I first heard this name I thought it was a unisex name, and I was about 9 or something. There’s really no problem and if you are really that worried just use it as a middle.

1 Like

I’ve met guys named [name_u]Alexis[/name_u].

1 Like