Graham or Grant?

Our daughter is [name_u]June[/name_u]. Middle name for boy will be [name_u]David[/name_u]. Last name starts with M, 3 syllables—similar to [name_m]Matheson[/name_m].

We have been torn for weeks between:

[name_m]Graham[/name_m] [name_u]David[/name_u]
[name_m]Grant[/name_m] [name_u]David[/name_u]

Opinions? Thoughts on names especially with sister [name_u]June[/name_u]?

In my opinion, [name_m]Graham[/name_m] gives off warm, charming vibes and [name_m]Grant[/name_m] seems more sophisticated, businessman? Any input appreciated!

1 Like

Hmmm… I like [name_m]Graham[/name_m] better with [name_u]David[/name_u] but [name_m]Grant[/name_m] better with your surname.

1 Like

I think [name_m]Grant[/name_m] flows better with [name_u]June[/name_u], both in vibe and in sound! So [name_m]Grant[/name_m] [name_u]David[/name_u] is my vote.

Maybe try saying each around the house/etc and see which feels best?

2 Likes

I love both names and the thought you’ve put into this! It can be so hard to choose a name.

Talk to your partner and just give yourself each a moment to say which name you each just think of first, the one that immediately comes to mind, but DON’T knock the other off the block yet.

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I had two names with middles that we loved for our baby boy (who we didn’t know was a boy, girl names were an entirely different story :sweat_smile::face_exhaling:) and we kept them both on deck because sometimes meeting your baby makes the difference! It may just hit you when you see your son!

1 Like

I like [name_m]Graham[/name_m] - slightly softer, a bit more charming and musical

3 Likes

I like [name_m]Graham[/name_m] [name_u]David[/name_u]!

1 Like

Another vote for [name_m]Graham[/name_m]!

1 Like

Definitely [name_m]Graham[/name_m].

1 Like

Congrats!

I love both names and think you can’t go wrong (I have a [name_m]Grant[/name_m] myself so I’m a little biased)! I think with [name_u]David[/name_u] as a middle [name_m]Graham[/name_m] [name_u]David[/name_u] flows better, and [name_m]Grant[/name_m] [name_u]David[/name_u] is a little clunkier, if that matters at all! Both [name_m]Grant[/name_m] “Matheson” and [name_m]Graham[/name_m] “Matheson” sound good, with [name_m]Grant[/name_m] slightly at an advantage because it doesn’t end in an “mm” sound. I think [name_u]June[/name_u] & [name_m]Graham[/name_m] sound really sweet together and [name_u]June[/name_u] & [name_m]Grant[/name_m] sound very serious. So overall I think [name_m]Graham[/name_m] might edge out [name_m]Grant[/name_m] for you, but I’ve probably been no help because I think both are wonderful names! :joy: Best of luck!

1 Like

I like both, but my preference would be for [name_m]Grant[/name_m]. Depending where you are, [name_m]Graham[/name_m] could be pronounced as one or two syllables, and I think the straightforwardness of [name_m]Grant[/name_m] is a better bet in this case.

1 Like

I really appreciate this thought out response! I agree with everything you said to a T— I think that’s why I’m torn. But I like that you said [name_u]June[/name_u] & [name_m]Graham[/name_m] sound “sweeter” because that’s the vibe I think I prefer. Thanks again!

1 Like

That’s a tough one, they’re so close it’s hard to decide. It definitely should come down to which vibes you prefer. I get softer, sweeter vibes from [name_m]Graham[/name_m] and I love the way he pairs with the freshness of [name_u]June[/name_u]! They feel like a warm, loving pair to me! [name_m]Grant[/name_m] gives me an edgier feeling, a more rough and tumble kind of boy. He also pairs well with [name_u]June[/name_u] but, at least to my ears, sounds a bit tougher next to her. I think I definitely prefer [name_m]Graham[/name_m] for you!

[name_m]Graham[/name_m] [name_u]David[/name_u] hands down, very strong name but has a less harsh sound than [name_m]Grant[/name_m].

[name_m]Graham[/name_m] for sure!!

Oh I love [name_m]Graham[/name_m]! It’s soft and warm like [name_u]June[/name_u].

[name_m]Grant[/name_m], because the m in [name_m]Graham[/name_m] would run into your last name and the full name would be kind of hard to say.

2 Likes

Both are so handsome! In general lately I have been preferring [name_m]Graham[/name_m] but I agree that [name_m]Grant[/name_m] works better with your surname. [name_m]Graham[/name_m] feels very sporty and friendly to me while [name_m]Grant[/name_m] feels a bit bookish and cuddly. [name_m]Graham[/name_m] makes me think of [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Graham[/name_m] [name_u]Bell[/name_u] and [name_m]Graham[/name_m] Zusi, I especially like the ties to Zusi because I love soccer. But [name_m]Grant[/name_m] [name_u]David[/name_u] is a bit button-up and when I loved [name_m]Grant[/name_m] (at one point he was very high on my short list), I always saw him cuddled up in a library, affectionate and sweet. I see either one loving the outdoors. I like [name_m]Graham[/name_m] better with [name_u]June[/name_u].

I think I’m going [name_m]Graham[/name_m], but both options are super lovely!

ETA: I think the crisp [name_m]Grant[/name_m] works better with your surname, but I think [name_m]Graham[/name_m] is fine with your surname… I don’t think it’s that much harder to say than [name_m]Grant[/name_m], tbh. :slight_smile:

While [name_m]Grant[/name_m] does flow a little better with your last name, I do prefer [name_m]Graham[/name_m] with [name_u]June[/name_u]. I don’t think the two M’s running together is a deal breaker.

You can’t go wrong with either one, but I’d go with [name_m]Graham[/name_m]!

I prefer Grant
It sounds refined/distinguished and it works great with June, both are short and straightforward names
I know a little boy named Grant David and I think his name is super charming
Graham at least where I live is pronounced “Gram” but I know in some places they pronounce it differently which can cause some confusion
Plus, with your last name starting with M it might be a little difficult to say both names together
Grant David Matheson sounds so regal though :blue_heart: that would be my choice