Grandiose French Boy Names?

What are some boy names that are of [name_u]French[/name_u] origin that are larger-than-life and give off a grandiose vibe? Not a royalcore one but maybe a dark academia one? [name_m]Horace[/name_m] , Athanase etc. are the names that come to mind but I have trouble expanding that list. Thank you in advance!

1 Like

I’m not sure I’m spot on your vibe but here are some suggestions:
[name_u]Auguste[/name_u]
[name_m]Ambroise[/name_m]
[name_m]Anatole[/name_m]
Archimede
[name_m]Aristide[/name_m]
Aristophane
[name_m]Adonis[/name_m]
Belphégor
BĂ©renger
[name_m]Baudouin[/name_m]
Enguerrand
Eudes
[name_m]Honoré[/name_m]
[name_m]Lazare[/name_m]
[name_m]Richard[/name_m]
[name_m]Théophile[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_u]Blaise[/name_u]
[name_u]Antoine[/name_u]
[name_m]Jacques[/name_m]
Jean-Baptiste
Augustin-Louis
Charles-Augustin
[name_f]Emmanuelle[/name_f]
[name_m]Gustave[/name_m]
[name_m]Benoit[/name_m]
Palisot
[name_m]Alphonse[/name_m]
[name_m]Gilles[/name_m]
[name_m]Alain[/name_m]
[name_m]Didier[/name_m]
Bernard-Henri
[name_u]Maurice[/name_u]
[name_u]Claude[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_m]Amedee[/name_m]
[name_m]Benoit[/name_m]
[name_m]Leonce[/name_m]
[name_m]Emilien[/name_m]
[name_m]Barthelemy[/name_m]
[name_u]Florian[/name_u]
[name_m]Boniface[/name_m]
[name_m]Felicien[/name_m]
[name_m]Amaury[/name_m]
[name_m]Maxence[/name_m]
[name_m]Isidore[/name_m]
[name_m]Yves[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_u]Leon[/name_u]
[name_u]Claude[/name_u]
Francois
[name_m]Bernard[/name_m]
[name_m]Jacques[/name_m]
[name_m]Pierre[/name_m]
[name_m]Gaston[/name_m]
[name_m]Olivier[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucien[/name_m]
[name_m]Alain[/name_m]
[name_u]Julien[/name_u]
[name_u]Maurice[/name_u]
[name_m]Yves[/name_m]
[name_m]Maël[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Marcel[/name_m]
[name_u]Andre[/name_u]
[name_m]Florien[/name_m]

1 Like

Almonte
[name_m]Beauregard[/name_m]
[name_m]Beaumont[/name_m]
[name_m]Guillaume[/name_m]
Luminaire
Montaigne
[name_m]Reynard[/name_m]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Toussaint[/name_m]

1 Like

@Eirime loving Archimede , Aristophane , [name_m]Baudouin[/name_m] , Enguerrand and Eudes! Many of those names are absolutely brand new to me. I’ve also considered [name_m]Aristide[/name_m] for this character before - “son of the best” is a lovely meaning especially because the character has a complicated relationship with his dad, whom he had never met because he was guilllotined when the boy was 5 months old.

@Zeno8 Palisot is new to me! Bernard-Henri is a beautiful compound name , not something you expect. I also enjoy [name_m]Didier[/name_m] , it has a truly lovely meaning!

@Greyblue [name_m]Amaury[/name_m] and [name_m]Boniface[/name_m] are gorgeous. [name_m]Emilien[/name_m] / [name_m]Felicien[/name_m] are also good choices , only I already have a minor character named [name_f]Felicienne[/name_f] in the book. She’s a good former friend of his sister so maybe it could have a bearing on his name? A thing to consider.

@janeybaby Loving [name_m]Florien[/name_m] , [name_m]Olivier[/name_m] and [name_u]Andre[/name_u].

@Ehrob1 Lumiaire , Montaigne and [name_m]Reynard[/name_m] are lovely!

@SparkleNinja18 Maybe you would have some suggestions? No preassure to respond , I just know you’re quite the expert on [name_u]French[/name_u] names and even had a [name_u]French[/name_u] NOTD thread.

3 Likes

@moonwriteen if your character is [name_u]French[/name_u]: don’t use a last name as surname, save for the few surnames that also happen to be firsts, it’s not something that people do in [name_u]France[/name_u] (or even outside the US? Maybe it’s gaining traction in the UK too)
Also, Luminaire is a cute word but it would be a section of the home improvement store, it’s not used as a name.

1 Like

[name_m]Aurelien[/name_m] was my first idea, although I’m not sure if it fits what you’re looking for? [name_u]Love[/name_u] the suggestions of [name_m]Benoit[/name_m], [name_m]Barthelemy[/name_m], [name_m]Amaury[/name_m], [name_m]Gaston[/name_m], [name_m]Didier[/name_m], [name_u]Theophile[/name_u], and [name_m]Marcel[/name_m], too. Maybe:

[name_m]Alphonse[/name_m]
[name_m]Armand[/name_m]
[name_m]Aubert[/name_m]
[name_m]Aubin[/name_m]
[name_m]Bertrand[/name_m]
[name_m]Calixte[/name_m]
[name_u]Celestin[/name_u]
[name_m]Corentin[/name_m]
[name_m]Cyprien[/name_m]
[name_u]Cyrille[/name_u]
Edme
[name_m]Florentin[/name_m]
[name_m]Florin[/name_m] (not 100% sure if this is [name_u]French[/name_u], but it always reminds me of Florentin!)
[name_m]Frederic[/name_m]
[name_m]Gaspard[/name_m]
[name_m]Gilbert[/name_m]
[name_m]Gratien[/name_m]
[name_m]Gwenael[/name_m]
[name_m]Hercule[/name_m]
[name_m]Pierrot[/name_m]
[name_m]Leandre[/name_m]
Fleury
[name_m]Marius[/name_m]
[name_m]Mathis[/name_m]
[name_m]Maximilien[/name_m]
[name_m]Nazaire[/name_m]
Nicodeme
[name_u]Pascal[/name_u]
[name_u]Remy[/name_u]
[name_m]Roland[/name_m]
[name_m]Timothee[/name_m]
[name_m]Ulysse[/name_m]
[name_m]Yannick[/name_m]

Sorry for the lack of accents! Much easier to do on my phone lol. Sorry for any repeats!

2 Likes

hi! not sure how much help I can be since I honestly find most [name_u]French[/name_u] boy names to sound grandiose, over-the-top, and maybe a little snooty, which is why im drawn to the shorter, spikier ones :sweat_smile: (Malo, Kendji, [name_m]Kylian[/name_m], Lounès, etc)

one of my favorites that I don’t think I’ve seen mentioned yet is Théotime! I also don’t think I’ve seen [name_m]Titouan[/name_m], Aymeric, Aurien, [name_u]Adrien[/name_u], [name_m]Marceau[/name_m], [name_m]Thierry[/name_m], [name_m]Timéo[/name_m], [name_m]Marius[/name_m], or Arsène!

1 Like

Grandiose [name_u]French[/name_u]?
[name_m]Gaston[/name_m]!

1 Like

[name_m]Aurelien[/name_m]
[name_m]Philibert[/name_m]
Icare
Gwenolé
[name_m]Armand[/name_m]
[name_m]Corentin[/name_m]
[name_m]Hercule[/name_m]
[name_m]Thibault[/name_m]