Greta?

I honestly never thought I would say this, but I absolutely love [name]Greta[/name] right now! Thoughts, anyone? What would you imagine a [name]Greta[/name] to be like?

I feel like it wouldn’t fit terribly well with my other favorites (think [name]Isabelle[/name], [name]Arianne[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Rachel[/name]), but I don’t think it would be terrible–just a bit more vintage than I’m used to. [name]Do[/name] you think it could stand on its own? Could it be short for something besides [name]Margaret[/name]/[name]Marguerite[/name]? Combo suggestions? The only ideas I’ve tossed around so far are [name]Greta[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Greta[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name] ([name]Rebecca[/name] in honor of my sister)…

Thanks, ladies!

I think it goes well with your favourites. It’s just that your other favourites seem to be modern but they still have vintage charm that [name]Greta[/name] has. I personally prefer [name]Margaret[/name], but [name]Greta[/name] is nice as well. I think [name]Greta[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] is beautiful, but [name]Greta[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name] sounds little rhymey. [name]Greta[/name] first middlename [name]Rebecca[/name] would be OK though. Good luck!

I have a cousin named [name]Greta[/name]. It always made me think of [name]Hansel[/name] and [name]Gretel[/name] when I was younger but I think it’s very pretty. Makes me think of a little girl with blonde braids- probably the [name]Gretel[/name] link again. [name]Greta[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] sounds beautiful! I like the different G sounds between the two.

I don’t like [name]Greta[/name] at all, and don’t have and fond images of a girl with that name.

A quick suggestion: perhaps you’d like the name Margeaux/[name]Margo[/name]? I just thought of it because I saw the mention of [name]Margaret[/name].

haha, I used to agree with you. But now… I don’t know, it’s just so sweet! I really like it, and I think it fits pretty well with my short list, and even the other names I’m trying to decide from–[name]Magda[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Lillian[/name]/[name]Liliana[/name]/[name]Lila[/name], [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Eleni[/name]/[name]Helena[/name], [name]Eliska[/name], etc. I really like it.

And [name]Margot[/name]/[name]Margaux[/name]/[name]Margo[/name]… not so much. I have liked [name]Margot[/name] in the past (still do), but eh. [name]Margot[/name] nn [name]Greta[/name] doesn’t really make sense to me, as [name]Margot[/name] is more based on the Marg- part and [name]Greta[/name] more based on the -garet part, and [name]Margot[/name] and [name]Greta[/name] seem completely different to me! [name]Even[/name] as an alternative to [name]Greta[/name], I’m not a huge fan right now. I’m a wee bit obsessed with [name]Greta[/name] atm, if you couldn’t tell. :slight_smile:

ETA: @mistyblue - I agree about [name]Greta[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name]! But I would add a second MN (like [name]Greta[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name] [name]Kate[/name]), which helps with flow, I think, and rhymey girls’ names don’t really bother me, especially if they both end in “A”. I think [name]Greta[/name] and [name]Rebecca[/name] work together quite well stylistically. I do agree that [name]Greta[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name] is a bit more rhymey than something like [name]Greta[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] or [name]Greta[/name] [name]Matilda[/name] might be…

I think [name]Greta[/name] is cute. I knew a [name]Greta[/name] once and she was big on the fact that if you switched the a and the t her name became Great :slight_smile: The only things I think it could be short for are [name]Gretel[/name] or [name]Gretchen[/name] if those appeal to you. I like that [name]Rebecca[/name] honors your sister but it just does not flow right to my ear. Maybe something like [name]Greta[/name] [name]Sophie[/name], [name]Greta[/name] [name]Eve[/name] or [name]Greta[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]?

Lol, no worries. I totally understand what you mean. :slight_smile:
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] is a nice combo imo. [name]Greta[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name] [name]Kate[/name] seems to short-sounds-heavy, if that makes sense.

Although my actual name is [name]Gretl[/name], I have been called [name]Greta[/name] all my life. Its a pretty name, with a bit of spunk and its nice to know you are considering it. I may be bias, but hey! I love my name.

[name]Greta[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] sounds absolutely gorgeous. Though if you want to honor your sister, I agree with others and you in putting in a second middle name so it can flow better.

Mind you, I have three middle names-but that might seem a bit too much?

I love [name]Greta[/name], it’s one of my current favourites :). Although I can’t decide if I would use it on its own or as nn for [name]Margaret[/name]. I think it’s a difficult one to pair with a nice middle name, although I love [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Alice[/name] right now :D.

I imagine [name]Greta[/name] to be blonde, serious and very clever, perhaps a [name]Hermione[/name] [name]Granger[/name] type person.

I love it, it makes me think of [name]Greta[/name] [name]Garbo[/name], a cool, classy, sexy, strong woman.

Friends of mine had twin girls and called them [name]Greta[/name] & [name]Ingrid[/name]; I always thought this was a super-cool sibset of names (they had scandinavian heritage, which made it a good choice too). Feminine, but not tizzy, classy & smart.

I love [name]Greta[/name] too and also immediately think of [name]Greta[/name] [name]Garbo[/name], the epitome of beauty, style, and class. [name]Greta[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] is lovely.

Thanks, ladies!

Any combo ideas besides [name]Greta[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name]? I do like it a lot but [name]Evangeline[/name] seems to be one of my go-to middle names and I already have it at least one other place on my short list (possibly two places!).

I absolutely love [name]Greta[/name]! I’m trying to decide wether I should have [name]Greta[/name] or [name]Guinevere[/name] on my short list since I don’t want two G names. I really like these combos for [name]Greta[/name]:
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Lorraine[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Eugenie[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Mathilde[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Margot[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Magnolia[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Florence[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Rosa[/name]

Thanks, [name]Kate[/name]! I love a lot of those MNs–[name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Catherine[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Margot[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Sophie[/name], [name]Daphne[/name], etc.–but I’m not sure about them with [name]Greta[/name]. When I saw your suggestions I realized how much I already like [name]Greta[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name], haha. I don’t know how to explain it–[name]Evangeline[/name] has a light, sweet, French/Cajun, youthful, religious appeal that I absolutely love and I love the balance between [name]Greta[/name] and [name]Evangeline[/name]. [name]Lovely[/name] as your suggestions are, I think I prefer [name]Greta[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] to them all. Then again, I really don’t want to use both [name]Greta[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Rachel[/name] [name]Clara[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name]… :confused:

I’ve also thought about [name]Sybil[/name]/[name]Sybella[/name] with [name]Greta[/name]… I know most don’t like rhymey names, but I don’t mind them. I was thinking maybe something like [name]Greta[/name] [name]Sybella[/name] _____. Hmm.

[name]Greta[/name] [name]Madeline[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Danielle[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Georgine[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Noreen[/name]

Hmm. Maybe [name]Greta[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]… and I do love [name]Madeleine[/name]…

[name]Greta[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] or [name]Greta[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]?

Oooh, I absolutely love both [name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name]! But [name]Genevieve[/name]'s a serious contender for a FN, and [name]Josephine[/name] might be, too (just for [name]Posey[/name]!), or I might use it with another FN (like [name]Lila[/name]/[name]Liliana[/name] or [name]Magda[/name]…). Hmm. Apparently I have a fairly obvious style because everyone always suggests my favorites. :slight_smile:

[name]Greta[/name] has recently appeared on my radar. I think it’s lovely! It’s classic but has a wonderful modern day twist in my opinion!

[name]Greta[/name] is an adorable name. I think its very sweet, yet serious enough to transition from little girl to woman nicely. [name]Greta[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] is a lovely combo. It goes just fine with your other names (and I’m not one for matchy sibsets anyway). [name]Greta[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] or [name]Greta[/name] and [name]Rachel[/name] would be very cute sisters, imo.

More middles (I’m sure there are repeats here):
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Katharine[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Louise[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Lucille[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]