Grey or Gray?

See the results of this poll: Which spelling do you prefer?

Respondents: 45 (This poll is closed)

• Gray : 11 (24%)
  • Grey: 34 (76%)

[name]Grey[/name] = UK spelling
[name]Gray[/name] = US spelling

Of the word, both spellings are generally accepted. I like [name]Gray[/name], but it looks a bit odd and I’m more used to [name]Grey[/name].

I like [name]Grey[/name]. I think some people would think [name]Gary[/name] when they see [name]Gray[/name].

[name]Grey[/name]. Maybe because I’m Canadian and I’m used to seeing it spelled that way, but [name]Gray[/name] just looks a bit off to me.

I think [name]Olive[/name] and [name]Grey[/name] sound cute together, but I do think of the colours. Not a super big deal though imo.

< this > :slight_smile:

I like [name]Grey[/name] for a boy and [name]Gray[/name] for a girl.

When I hear [name]Olive[/name], I don’t think of the color. Occasionally I think of the food lol… but moreso, I just see a vintage beauty! <3 I love Olive!! Too bad my boyfriend vito’d it from our list :frowning: He says its an old ladies name… I think he’s just confused :wink: tehehe!!

ANYWAYS! I prefer the spelling Grey! I know its technically Gray seeing as I’m from the US. But I think Grey just looks nicer. Plus, I feel like Gray might be confused for Gary sometimes. People seem to manage to mess up names in that way.

Also, it doesn’t make me personally think of colors. Olive and Grey. And if you have two other boys, then I think the names will mix in fine. If it makes any difference, you could always use Greyson, so its not just the color Grey, but also in the surname style that seems to be the in thing for names lately! <3

I posted this same thing several months ago. Most everyone voted [name]Grey[/name]. I still can’t make up my mind. I think [name]Grey[/name] would hold less teasing. [name]Gray[/name] looks close to gay, and that is teasable. I do think [name]Gray[/name] is more intuitive in spelling.

I’m in the US so even though I spell the color ‘[name]Gray[/name]’ I prefer the name as [name]Grey[/name]. I just like it better for some reason. It might bother me a little to have both an [name]Olive[/name] and a [name]Grey[/name] but if it doesn’t bother you then I wouldn’t let other people’s fanaticism interfere with your decision. I agree with others who mentioned that [name]Gray[/name] could be mixed up with [name]Gary[/name].

What about Gracen? That doesnt have gray/grey at all and therefore no color reference really.

I like it spelled grey but automatically spell it gray (American). Great name for a BOY.

I absolutely love [name]Gray[/name]/[name]Grey[/name]! I prefer [name]Gray[/name]–it just looks more normal to me since I’m American–but [name]Grey[/name] does look a bit more distinguished I think. I think [name]Olive[/name] and [name]Grey[/name]/[name]Gray[/name] are adorable together (I think I prefer [name]Grey[/name] in this case), and fit in perfectly with your other two boys ([name]Max[/name] and [name]Rhett[/name], right?). I think of [name]Olive[/name] being more of a food name, and [name]Gray[/name]/[name]Grey[/name] as more a color name, so I definitely think they could work together!

Good luck!

Thanks [name]Ash[/name], yes [name]Max[/name] and [name]Rhett[/name]. My husband is really pushing for [name]Grey[/name]/[name]Gray[/name] even with the friend thing. I’m thinking maybe they are just enough removed that we can go for it if we don’t come up with something we love more. I do think we are leaning towards [name]Grey[/name] even though I spell the color gray. Maybe that’s why, feels more like a name. And I agree about [name]Olive[/name], that’s why it didn’t even occur to me until recently when it worried me a little. Still not sure about a girl name (we don’t know what we’re having, but maybe we’re getting closer, or further :slight_smile: ).

Thanks for the votes and comments, everyone!